Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under general supervision, assists patrons, assists staff with the facilitation of scheduled programs and events including set-ups, tear downs, monitoring patron activity and general maintenance duties; and performs related work as required.Salary Range:
$9.00 - $10.71, or minimum wage, if more.PLEASE NOTE: Location of work assignment and scheduled work hours will vary by position and season.
Accepting applications until the application deadline or until all vacancies are filled, whichever occurs first. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the work performed by these positions are currently limited or not being performed. The positions are posted now in preparation for post COVID-19 operations. Acceptable Experience and Training
Must be at least 18 years of age. Previous experience working with the general public is preferred.Required Special Qualifications
Possession of an applicable valid driver's license is required where assigned duties require driving responsibilities.The City of Des Moines' Residency Requirement is in effect for this position. Applicant must be a resident of the City of Des Moines within thirteen (13) months of appointment date and maintain residency within the City of Des Moines while employed in this position.
Requires satisfactory criminal, sex offender and if applicable, driving record background checks. Passing of a pre-employment physical and drug screen is required prior to hire.Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Collects various fees from patrons and makes change;
- Provides assistance to patrons;
- Directs parking and pedestrian traffic;
- May need to place signage providing directional information;
- Assists in monitoring events, scheduled programming and overseeing patron activity; and alerts supervisor of any problems that arise;
- Picks-up loose trash and/or debris and disposes in waste receptacles;
- Prepares and maintains various park and recreational facilities and venues hosting scheduled programming, events and patron participation. Event related preparedness may include but not limited to opening and closing facilities; set-ups; tear downs; shoveling and blowing snow; supplying restrooms; decorating; pulling weeds and mopping and/or sweeping floors;
- Assists with concessions including operating cash register and serving food as needed;
- May need to guard vendor property as needed in preparation of a scheduled event or program;
- May oversee the activities of a group of participants within a scheduled program to ensure completeness of assigned tasks.
Closing Date/Time: 1/25/2021 5:00 PM Central