Job Summary The purpose of the Backup School Crossing Guard is to provide assistance to children crossing streets, walking to and from school when the regular School Crossing Guard can not attend the post. Duties include holding a sign and blowing a whistle to control traffic and escorting elementary school children safely across various streets and intersections. Duties will require working outdoors under a variety of weather conditions.
Schedule and assignment locations may vary and will work split shifts. Employees would only be working a maximum of 3 hours daily.
Schedules will occasionally vary to accommodate early dismissal days and school holidays. The duty hours are one and one half hours (1 hour 30 minutes) for each shift, morning and afternoon. The Guard must remain on their post for the full shift to receive payment for a shift worked.
General supervision is provided by a Lead School Crossing Guard.Essential Job Functions
- Assists elementary school children in crossing the street at designated intersections in a safe and orderly manner. The school crossing guard must position themself in a highly visible and safe location. Stand on the side of the street where the children approach if possible. Lawn chairs are permitted during periods when the peak flow of pedestrian traffic has slowed. However, the Guard must remain in a position where they are easily observed by pedestrians seeking to cross the street and, where they are able to observe anyone approaching the cross walk. Crossing Guards may, during extremely inclement weather, use their vehicle for shelter if absolutely necessary.
- Places traffic cones in the street before school begins and removes at end of school as needed. The school crossing guard is frequently required to recognize gaps in traffic and step safely into and out of traffic. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to hold stop sign above head until children are across the intersection. The school crossing guard is frequently required to use hands and reach with hands and arms.
- Must be able to blow whistle to alert traffic to presence of children.
- While performing the duties of this position, the school crossing guard is regularly required to stand, walk quickly, hear, speak clearly, occasionally speak/hear over the sound of traffic and work in inclement weather. The school crossing guard is required to work outside with exposure to the elements, fumes and/or outdoor particles.
- The school crossing guard must be able to get to and from designated assignments. If driving a motor vehicle, must possess a valid driver's license and insurance as required by law.
- Notifies police headquarters of real or potential hazards and pedestrian accidents in the vicinity.
- Assignment location may vary.
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age or older. This is a Backup School Crossing position. This position works on an on-call basis.
- Must have access to reliable transportation.
- Must have the ability to communicate in English
- Must have a valid Texas Class C driver's license or Identification Card and valid automobile insurance.
- Applicant must pass a drug test, criminal history background check and social security number verification check.
Closing Date/Time: 1/1/2021 5:00 PM Central