The Position There is an additional 3.35% Management Differential which is added to the posted salary for this class.This is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 10/02/2020, 10/30/2020 (Final)
The Senior Retirement Investment Officer leads the administration and review of one or more major investment areas or segments of the portfolio for the Sacramento County Employees' Retirement System (SCERS) such as Public Equities, Fixed Income, Absolute Return, Private Equity, Private Credit, Real Assets, and Real Estate; monitors, analyzes and reports on investment performance and compliance; plans and develops investment strategies; provides oversight to, and assessment of, investment managers, consultants, custodians, and other financial service providers; conducts complex research and analysis related to the investment program; and oversees and provides direction to Retirement Investment Officers. Watch to explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge Of:
- Principles and practices of management and organizational theory, including planning, organizational design, business finance, business development, project management, and organizational effectiveness
- Principles and practices of leadership, mentoring, and training
- Operational characteristics, services, and activities of public retirement systems
- Investment and financial management procedures and practices
- Modern portfolio theory and application
- Risk monitoring and management methods and techniques
- Analytical techniques commonly utilized in the management of equity and fixed income portfolios
- Economic and market conditions and trends and their effect of short and long term investment programs and strategies
- Applicable investment laws, rules, regulations, compliance considerations and professional standards
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and other specialized applications related to area of assignment
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Plan, coordinate, assign, and review the work of professional staff
- Work independently, prioritize work, coordinate activities and meet critical deadlines
- Develop, monitor and interpret budgets and other financial documents
- Plan, manage, and complete complex work assignments
- Develop and maintain cooperative, effective working relationships with others
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
- Interpret and apply applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations
- Apply customer service skills, including the identification of customer needs and follow up to ensure customer commitments have been met
- Influence and persuade others to take a desired action and/or direction
- Interpret and summarize a variety of data and information
- Exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality of information
- Coordinate, monitor and evaluate the activities of multiple outside investment advisors
- Identify potential investment opportunities suitable for the institutional portfolio
- Understand and assess the quality, accuracy, and reliability of manager and consultant reports and the application of such data
- Isolate critical investment data to assess financial risk of investment options
- Accurately analyze and interpret market and financial conditions
- Evaluate complex investment transactions
- Evaluate investment manager contracts
- Understand, interpret and apply applicable investment laws, rules, and regulations
- Formulate and make recommendations on investment policies and strategies
- Understand and apply Retirement Board policies and objectives with respect to investment strategies
- Prepare and present reports on portfolio performance and investment activities
- Exercise appropriate judgment in answering questions and releasing information; analyze and project consequences of decisions and recommendations
Seven years of full-time paid professional investment experience, which included conducting, managing, advising, and/or overseeing investment activities on behalf of others.AND
A Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Public Administration or other field directly related to the intent of the class.Note:
A Master's in Business Administration (MBA) or certification as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) is desirable and may substitute for one year of the required experience.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS
Criminal History and Background Checks :
The County may access criminal history information on candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for this class consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedures B-5, and applicable federal and state laws. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
The County may also conduct a background check on the candidate prior to appointment to a position within this class. The background check may include personal and professional reference checks, credit history checks where authorized by Labor Code section 1024.5, Social Security Number verification, professional license/registration verification, military service information and driving history. Information obtained in the course of this background check will be considered by the appointing authority in the selection process. In obtaining such information, the County will comply with applicable consent and disclosure practices in the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the California Investigative Consumer Reporting Agencies Act.
License Requirement :
A valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, may be required at the time of appointment. Failure to obtain or maintain the appropriate California Driver License may constitute cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining agreement. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is Six (6)
Months Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail
EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 10/30/2020 5:00 PM Pacific