This recruitment is specifically for full-time entry level candidates (this is not for Lateral Police Officer or Police Reserve candidates). To apply for Lateral or Reserve Police Officer, click here to visit the Employment Opportunities page. POLICE RECRUIT $30.00 hourly plus part-time benefits :
This is non-sworn, civilian police training work performed while attending a Peace Officers Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) certified police academy. Work involves full-time attendance at a P.O.S.T. certified police academy to prepare incumbents to assume the responsibilities of a police officer upon completion of the academy. POLICE OFFICER (ACADEMY GRADUATE) $6,995 - $9,375 monthly plus full-time benefits
: Upon hire, incumbents are assigned to the Department's Field Training Program. Upon successful completion of the training, incumbents acquire the full range of law enforcement duties.
Due to recent budget reductions, full-time employees in the Police Officer classification are required to furlough 104 hours between June 21, 2020 and July 20, 2021. New employees will have their required furlough hours prorated based on hire date.
For more information about the Costa Mesa Police Department, click here . APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS: Applications are being accepted on a continuous basis in order to meet the needs of the City as vacancies occur. Applicants will be notified once testing dates have been established.
Applications must be completed and submitted online. Candidates are requested to provide specific information on their education and experience as it relates to the position by completing all fields of the application. Applications may be rejected if incomplete. Do not include attachments other than what is listed under "Required Documentation"
, as they will not be accepted or reviewed in the application process. Based upon the information presented on the application, a limited number of candidates who possess qualifications most pertinent to the position will be invited to participate in the selection process.
NOTE: The City only sends candidate notifications by email. Please make sure your email address is updated before applying for this recruitment. Please check your email inbox periodically during the application process. AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFIERS:
Candidates who pass an initial application screening phase will be selected to continue in the written examination testing process. Applications may be re-reviewed prior to the PAT. Candidates with incomplete applications or candidates who do not meet all Minimum Qualifications may be rejected from continuing in the testing process.
- Please click here for a list of automatic background disqualifiers. If any of the automatic disqualifiers pertain to you, it is recommended that you do not submit an application for this position as you will be automatically disqualified from the selection process.
Candidates must pass the following tests to be placed on the formal eligibility list. Eligibility lists are valid for one year from the date they are established unless it is exhausted sooner or extended for an additional period of time:
Final Phases of the Selection Process:
- P.O.S.T. Written Examination (PELLETB) with a Total T-Score of 45 or higher (Pass/Fail)
- Physical Agility Test (PAT) (Pass/Fail)
- Oral Interview Evaluations (100%)
Compressed Testing Option:
- Upon being placed on the eligibility list, appointment(s) will be made after successfully passing each of the following components: polygraph examination, a comprehensive background investigation, interview with the Chief of Police, and the post-offer pre-appointment psychological evaluation and medical examination. All employment offers made by the City are contingent upon establishing proof of a prospective candidate's legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Please note: candidates that are active duty military, currently attending a police academy as an independent, require an approved accommodation, or can show proof of residency over 250 miles from the City of Costa Mesa, may be eligible for the compressed testing option subject to approval and availability. Testing will include the following components in a condensed version: POST written examination, physical agility test, oral interview, and a pre-background interview. Instructions for requesting compressed testing will be provided to candidates who pass the application screening phase.
- Both Levels: Candidates who have successfully passed the P.O.S.T. Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) with another agency within the last 12 months may submit verification on agency letterhead indicating a Total T-Score of 45 or higher in order to be waived from the written examination. Please note that P.O.S.T. does not allow individuals to retake the test within 30 days of their last test with any agency.
- Police Officer (Academy Graduate) candidates must provide proof of graduation (within the last 12 months from the date of application) from a California P.O.S.T. Basic Police Academy.
Documents may be attached to online application, can be faxed to Human Resources at (714) 754-4943, or mailed to City of Costa Mesa: Human Resources, PO Box 1200, Costa Mesa, CA 92628-1200. If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please call the Police Recruitment Hotline at (714) 754-4955.
*Please notify the Human Resources Division 72 hours in advance of a scheduled test date if you have a disability which requires accommodation for the testing process.
NOTE: The provisions of this job bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained within may be modified or revoked without notice.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Please contact Human Resources for a summary of the physical tasks and environmental factors for these classifications. Employee accommodations for physical or mental disabilities will be considered on a case-by-case basis.