Open Date: September 11, 2020
Priority Screen Date: September 25, 2020
Final Filing Date: Open until Filled
Exam# 20/43J04/09EV SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Monterey County Health Department, Clinic Services Bureau is seeking individuals for the position of Departmental Information Systems Specialist (DISS). The DISS acts as a resource person for users of specialized automated systems (i.e. EPIC Electronic Medical Record) providing support, training, and instruction related to the use of computer applications to staff. This position will be first response to users; coordinate with vendors, Health Department IT, and Monterey County IT to resolve issues; and suggest, implement and support process improvements based on system and operational knowledge.
The Clinic Services Bureau operates seven clinics, including the Alisal Health Center, Seaside Family Health Center, Monterey County Health Clinic at Marina and the four Laurel Clinics located in Salinas, which include Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Laurel Vista, NIDO and Pediatrics. FLEXIBLE SERIES
This classification is part of a flexible series. Incumbents appointed at the lower level of the career series may be promoted up to the higher level of the career series subject to their meeting the employment standards for the higher class and a recommendation for their promotion by the appointing authority in accordance with the Flexible Staffing Program and Guidelines.
The eligible list established from this recruitment process may be used to fill the current and future vacancies on a regular full-time, part-time, or temporary basis County-wide. Examples of Duties THE IDEAL CANDIDATE Will have a proven track record in the following areas:
- Act as a resource person for users: answer questions, perform first level problem diagnosis and correction, and resolve problems.
- Assist in identifying and resolving routine systems problems (programs, work stations, and related hardware and software).
- Confer with department staff regarding changes in manual and computer system design; collaborate with others (including vendors) to improve effectiveness of system.
- Make recommendations for improvements.
- Assist in preparing information of changes for users, instructional materials, and/or staff development tools for training.
- Document and track systems problems and write reports on issues.
- May complete, prepare, generate and distribute production reports and statistics.
Skill in and Ability to:
- Capability and limitations of various computer operating systems including DOS, Windows, and networks.
- Internet Operation and use, including browser and file transfer protocol.
- Training principles, practices, methods, and techniques of automated system applications.
- Computer applications and/or systems used in data management; such as Excel, Word Access, etc.
- Principles and practices of recordkeeping.
- Customer service techniques
Characteristics of Ideal Candidate:
- Identifying, evaluating, and researching application systems, problems and coordinating corrective actions as required, with computer support personnel
- Gathering information and analyzing data to establish and maintain system user protocol.
- Organizing, prioritizing, scheduling, and coordinating workflow to meet project deadlines.
- Providing excellent and courteous customer service with staff and the public and establishing and maintaining effective working relationships. Communicate with vendors regarding problems and user questions.
- Make recommendations for system and operational enhancements.
- Read and comprehend written materials on wide variety of application system subjects.
- Maintain confidentiality of information in accordance with legal standards and/or County regulations.
- Communication technical information clearly and effectively with all levels of staff in the organization, both orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Examples of Experience/Education/Training
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Independent worker
- Strong team player
- Detail oriented
- Meets deadlines/prioritization
- Time management skills
The knowledge, skills and abilities listed above may be acquired through various types of education, training, and/or experience, typically:
High School Diploma and two (2) years of experience working with computer systems in a relevant environment OR
An Associate of Science degree in computer science, computer information systems or a closely related field, and minimum of one (1) year of experience working with computer systems, preferably in a similar environment. Conditions of Employment:
As a condition of employment, the incumbent will be required to:
- Be available to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, holidays and during times of disaster or emergency.
- Successfully pass an extensive background investigation to the satisfaction of the Appointing Authority with the ability to be bonded. The Health Department will conduct thorough background and reference checks which include a Department of Justice fingerprint check. The Applicant will be required to execute a consent and waiver for the background investigation.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Class C Driver's License with a satisfactory driving record.
For a complete job description please visit
https://www2.co.monterey.ca.us/pages/hr/class-specs/43J04.pdf Additional Information
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURES TO APPLY :
Submit the following to the
Monterey County Health Department, Human Resources Division, 1270 Natividad Road, Salinas, CA 93906 by the Priority Screen Date: Friday, September 25, 2020
Or apply on-line at www.co.monterey.ca.us/personnel
- Monterey County Employment Application form
- Responses to the Supplemental Questions
All application materials must be received by the priority screening date for a guaranteed review. Applications
received after this date will be considered on a needed basis until the position is filled. Please be aware if the
application form and responses to supplemental questions is not submitted by the priority screening date, the
application will be removed from further consideration and not be considered further. The selection process is tentative, and applicants will be notified if changes are made.
Resumes may be submitted, but will not be accepted in lieu of required application materials .
Application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants who are determined to be most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the process. To further assess applicant's possession of required qualifications, this examination may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exercise, performance exam, and/or written examination.
For more information or to receive application materials, contact the Health Department Human Resources Division at 831-755-4519. SPECIAL NOTE:
BENEFITS: The County offers an excellent benefits package (J Bargaining Unit)
- If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodations, please call the Health Department Human Resources Office at 831-755-4519.
- Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
- If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your salary will be hourly and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed below.
The County of Monterey offers a premium benefit package. A summary of benefits for this position can be viewed on the County website. This information is intended to provide you with a general summary of benefits available and is not legally binding. The benefits listed in the Monterey County Personnel Policies & Practices Resolution or "J" MOU prevails over this listing.
See https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/home/showdocument?id=78044 for more information (J Bargaining Unit Benefit Summary Sheet.) EQUAL OPPORTUNITY:
Monterey County is a drug-free workplace and an equal opportunity employer. The County seeks candidates who can make contributions in an environment of cultural and ethnic diversity. Monterey County provides reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodation, please call the Human Resources Analyst at (831) 755-4946.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.