The Position This is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 9/18/20, 10/2/20, 10/16/20, 10/30/20,11/13/20, 11/27/20, 12/11/20, 12/26/20 (final)
Epidemiologist is a full journey level classification performing a broad scope of epidemiological studies in assigned areas such as communicable disease, sexually transmitted disease, or environmental epidemiology. This is a non-supervisory classification, but incumbents may provide work direction to support staff involved in data gathering, recording and maintenance, computer input, and other support activities. This class is distinguished from the next higher level, Epidemiology Program Manager, which is a full management classification with responsibility for the County's epidemiological programs and activities. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
- principles and procedures of epidemiology including design and evaluation of epidemiological research, epidemiology of common diseases, and methods of disease control;
- methods and formats for preparation of scientific papers;
- principles and practices of statistics as applied in epidemiology;
- computer applications for the storage, management, manipulation and analysis of large data bases;
- public health principles;
- current developments in epidemiology and general medicine;
- environmental, social, economic, cultural and other issues impacting epidemiology.
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- plan, conduct and evaluate epidemiological projects and studies;
- prepare well-written scientific papers and deliver clear and effective oral presentations on technical subjects;
- evaluate complex issues related to environmental and communicable diseases and prepare recommendations for their control;
- operate computerized statistical data bases;
- conduct and evaluate complex statistical analyses;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals and groups;
- represent the County or department;
- read and evaluate complex scientific papers and articles.
Possession of a Master's degree from an accredited college or university in epidemiology, public health, or a health science field with emphasis or specialization in epidemiology and biostatistics;
One (1) year of professional experience designing, conducting and evaluating epidemiological studies that has involved work with communicable diseases or environmental epidemiology.
NOTE: Possession of a doctoral degree in epidemiology, public health, or a health science field with emphasis or specialization in epidemiology may be substituted for the required experience.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.EducationNote:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.Special Requirements
License Requirements: Possession of a valid Class C California Driver License, or the ability to arrange for field travel, is required at the time of appointment.Note:
Failure to obtain and/or maintain such required license(s) may be cause for disciplinary action in accordance with Civil Service Commission rules.
Working Conditions: Duties may require exposure to sources of potentially contagious pathogens in the course of field duties.Probationary Period:
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months. Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail
EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 12/26/2020 5:00 PM Pacific