OVERVIEWThis position is open until filled. Applicants will be screened on a weekly basis.
Under the direction of the assigned supervisor, the incumbents provide responsible support work in the field of alcohol and drug recovery services and are primarily responsible for detoxification services.Duties include assisting in maintenance of case histories, files, logs, electronic health records and reports; enforcing all rules and regulations governing patientshoused in the facility, maintaining security; admitting anddischarging clients from facility in accordance with established standards; providing work direction to Treatment Aides and assisting in the provision of intensive inpatient program treatment services.Act as a lead worker, when needed, on weekend and night shifts.Distinguishing Characteristics
This is a stand-alone classification utilized at Kitsap Recovery Center, distinguished by experienced level activities related to the care and safety of alcohol and drug dependent patients.Duties are performed independently, within defined procedures and work is evaluated by the supervisor through observation, meetings, staff feedback, completion of assigned tasks, and results obtained.QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERFORMANCE OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS Required Education and Experience
Preferred Education, Experience or Other Qualifications
- One year of responsible support work experience including six months experience or training in an alcohol or drug related field; OR
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience, which provides the applicant the knowledge, skills and ability to perform the work.
Required Licenses, Certificates, Examinations/Tests and Other Requirements Please note
- Experience in an inpatient/live-in alcohol or drug treatment facility.
: The incumbent is responsible for obtaining and maintaining all of the following required licenses, certifications and other requirements.
Prior to employment, the successful candidate must:
- Pass a criminal background check through law enforcement agencies.
- Submit official transcripts from an accredited college or university if education is being used to meet the minimum qualifications.
- Pass all job-related examinations/tests necessary to demonstrate required knowledge, skills and abilities, as determined by the hiring authority at time of job posting.
- Declare availability to work rotating shifts, nights and/or weekends and overtime as needed.
- Provide references that demonstrate reliability, a good attendance record and a positive work ethic/attitude.
- Declare understanding of and willingness to comply with the requirement that there be no misuse of alcohol or drugs while employed as a Treatment Assistant.
- Submit a copy of their State employment driving record to verify their eligibility to drive for Kitsap County.
At time of appointment, the successful candidate must:
(Evidence of ability to obtain these by appointment may be required at any time in the selection process.)
- Possess a valid Washington State Driver's License.
- Be able to fulfill all traveling requirements of this position and meet the qualifications and guidelines of the Fleet Risk Control Policies in the operation of a motor vehicle on County business.
Within 30 days after employment the successful candidate must:
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Complete Bloodborne/Airborne Pathogens training and receive Hepatitis B vaccine or sign a waiver.
- Complete a Tuberculosis Test (and yearly thereafter).
- Obtain a current First Aid and CPR certification.
- Common business practices and expectations of employers in relation to reliability, good attendance, and a positive work ethic/attitude.
- Alcohol and drug related problems.
- Terminology utilized in the alcohol and drug field.
Skills and/or Ability to:
Working Conditions/Physical Activities
- Appear, and stay, for schedule work with regular, reliable and punctual attendance.
- Effectively plan and organize work and complete tasks within prescribed timeframes.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Respond appropriately to emergency situations in an institutional setting.
- Work around and deal effectively with stressful situations and interpersonal conflict.
- Accurately, maintain routine logs and records.
- Operate a personal computer utilizing word processing software
- Maintain a consistently fair attitude toward patients while exercising authority under demanding situations. Report accurately, in writing, conditions noted during assigned shift.
- Secure the confidence, respect and cooperation of patients.
- Establish and maintain cooperative, effective and productive working relationships with staff, co-workers, patients and the public.
- Exercise good judgment skills and provide work direction to staff as assigned.
- Read, understand, and comply with policies, procedures and protocols.
- Work a non-traditional workweek with non-traditional work hours including nights, weekends, rotating shifts and work over 40 hours in a workweek as necessary.
- Respond to on-call assignments with short notice.
(The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Kitsap County provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
Positions in this class typically require:
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Work performed primarily at the Recovery Center, which is a 24-hour facility.
- The incumbents to be able to work a rotating schedule that may include various shifts, nights, weekends and irregular days and hours.
- Occasionally to split or cover an additional shift.
- Exposure to physical hazards when working with hostile patients with a potential for violence.
- Physical strength and flexibility sufficient to physically subdue a patient undergoing withdrawal/detoxification from drugs or alcohol.
- Adequate vision when providing authorized prescription medication, conducting security inspections, observing patients, and manually preparing log entries.
- Extended standing, sitting and walking through the work area.
(Any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all tasks which may be found in positions of this class.)
Essential Job Functions:
- Admit and release patients from inpatient anddetoxification program in compliance with proper procedures. Assure admission and discharge procedures are followed.
- Provide work direction to Treatment Aides, assist in training and provide input into evaluations.
- Monitor activities led by outside guests and speakers and intervene when necessary.
- Provide treatment services in detoxification,and intensive inpatient programs.
- Enforce all rules and regulations of the facility; maintain safety of patients and facility; make regular security checks on rooms and facilities; respond to emergencies.
- Maintain patient information confidentiality and demonstrate respect for patient's right to privacy.
- Provide guidance, encouragement and support to patients in their treatment program.
- Maintain logs and records on patient behavior, security checks, prescriptions provided to and taken by patients, etc.
- Provide phone support for crisis calls from the public and bed management/admission requests from health care facilities, such as Harrison Hospital, and other referral sources, such as family.
- Observe urinalysis collection.
Other Job Duties:
OTHER POSITION RELATED INFORMATION
- May assist the physician (or other health care provider) in documenting patient medical/nursing problems and providing support in the delivery of patient care; ensures prescription orders and other ordered health care referrals are implemented and that individualized patient self-care treatment plans are met.
- Perform other duties as required including assistance with food service to patients and resident guests, housekeeping and laundry duties as needed.
This position is:
- Classified as eligible for overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Non-represented and covered under the Kitsap County Personnel Manual.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous