Summary This recruitment is now continuous and will be available until filled.
To view the flyer for this opportunity, click HERE .To visit the Butte County Public Works' website, click HERE or visit
Under limited supervision, manages and directs employees involved in the planning, development and implementation of department programs and projects involving the construction and maintenance of roadways, structures, buildings, solid waste disposal and recycling.FLSA: Exempt
Essential Job Functions
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
- Manages assigned staff; prioritizes and assigns tasks and projects; disciplines, trains and evaluates staff; counsels, coaches and instructs employees as required; develops staff skills and conducts performance evaluations.
- Provides support, direction and coaching to subordinate employees in the areas of performance management, problem resolution, planning and work assignments.
- Develops and monitors department budget; prepares special and recurring reports, proposals and contracts, and disseminates to Department staff as well as external agencies; recommends and implements changes to existing policies and procedures.
- Participates in the development and implementation of department goals regarding communications, customer service and program cost evaluations; provides oversight of the department's computer network.
- Directs department staff in the establishment of operational goals; provides fiscal controls by monitoring purchasing and spending activities.
- Monitors and reviews trends in public works administration and recommends operational and policy improvements.
- Directs and supervises the establishment of maintenance program planning and financial evaluation; provides oversight of maintenance techniques, service requests, complaint reviews, corrective recommendations and operational problem solving.
- Directs and supervises capital project development, including programming, scoping and design; conducts technical reviews of designs and monitors financial and construction aspects of projects.
- Supervises and directs project surveying, monument preservation and right of way acquisition activities.
- Oversees customer service activities by directing staff in the development of responses that may include litigation investigations, filings and testimony.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field.
- Five (5) years of professional engineering experience involving the design and construction of roads, bridges and related public works facilities, including four (4) years of managerial or supervisory experience. A Master's degree in Business Administration or Public Administration may substitute for two (2) years managerial experience and a Master's degree in Civil Engineering may substitute for one (1) year of professional civil engineering experience.
- Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer with the State of California.
- Possession of a valid State of California driver's License.
- Employees hired into this classification must file statements of economic interest with the Butte County Clerk/Recorder.
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Work is performed primarily in an indoor environment.
- May be required to lift and carry items less than 50 pounds.