GENERAL PURPOSE: Under general supervision, supervises staff and activities of a public safety communications shift of the Police Department; complies with Police Department and City policies and procedures. Ensures timely delivery of Public Safety Service by effectively coordinating all appropriate Public Safety responders. Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
Minimum Qualifications & Position Requirements:
- Directs the activities and functions of an assigned shift of Emergency Dispatchers: coordinates, prioritizes and assigns tasks and projects; tracks and reviews work progress and process; evaluates work performance and implements disciplinary actions. Authors formal performance evaluations following Police Department and City policy
- Trains employees on equipment, procedures and systems; oversees communications systems and applications to identify operational problems and issues; reports malfunctions and follows up to ensure corrections are made.
- Monitors incoming telephone calls and radio traffic in dispatch center; assures that emergency calls, other calls for service, citizen requests, and requests of internal customers are handled in accordance with Police Department and City policies and procedures.
- Obtains telephone and radio traffic recordings from call logging equipment when necessary.
- Investigates citizen and internal complaints and/or concerns regarding dispatch operations. May report findings to the complainant or to Communications Manager depending on the nature of the issue.
- Performs duties of Dispatcher or 911 Operator as needed.
- Reviews, maintains and updates records and files concerning personnel or operational issues that may be assigned.
- May be required to perform other duties, including administrative tasks.
NECESSARY SKILLS , KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Systems utilized in law enforcement communications; includes radio, CAD, RMS.
- State and Federal laws, and of Department policies and procedures as they relate to dispatching law enforcement officers and other emergency services.
- Law enforcement patrol procedures.
- Local geographical area, road systems, and the locations of landmarks.
- Police and Fire and Emergency Medical Services standard dispatch policies and procedures.
- Supervisory principles, practices and methods.
- Basic principles of record keeping and records management.
- Handling multiple tasks simultaneously, under pressure, and in emergency and stressful situations.
- Obtaining information from hostile or emotional citizens.
- Determining priorities and handling high-pressure situations.
- Communicating clearly and concisely and relaying details accurately.
- Working under pressure of deadlines, and establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with employees, officials, other agencies and the general public..
- Public relations and customer service.
- Following and effectively communicating verbal and written instructions.
- Writing effective performance evaluations.
- Counseling, coaching, motivating public safety dispatchers.
Special Requirements: Must obtain Terminal Operator Certification Level A within 6 months of hire. Depending on the needs of the City, incumbents may be required to obtain and maintain additional licenses or technical certifications. Working nights, weekends, and holidays is required. Must be able to type a minimum of 35 words per minute. Must successfully pass a pre-employment screening to include a comprehensive background investigation, drug test, polygraph, and psychological exam.
Physical Demands / Work Environment: Work is performed in a fast paced, high volume call center environment.Position Reports To:
Police Support Services Administrator Supervision Exercised:
Dispatchers and 911 OperatorsFLSA Status:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous