The City of Fort Lauderdale employees possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers. This is highly responsible managerial, supervisory, technical and administrative work of considerable difficulty in the planning, analysis, design, operation, maintenance, security and support of the City's public safety technology infrastructure. Under the direction of the Information Technology Services (ITS) Department Director or designee the employee in this class is responsible for planning, budgeting, organizing, directing, and coordinating the operations of the Information Technology Public Safety Services Division. The employee exercises extensive initiative and independent judgment. Work is reviewed through conferences, written reports, staff meetings, results achieved and user feedback.
NOTE: The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description.This position will remain open until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.The City offers a wide variety of benefits to their employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, the City currently offers 401(a) participation with a 9% City contribution and no employee match! Beginning January 1st 2021, the City will participate in the Florida Retirement System (FRS) which will require a 3% contribution from employees. Anyone hired after Jan 1, 2021 will be automatically enrolled in FRS.
Say "Hello" to the City of Fort Lauderdale and Say "Goodbye" to Your Student Loan!
That's right! Under the U.S. Department of Education's Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, the remaining balance on your student loan may be forgiven after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time at the City of Fort Lauderdale! Please visit www.fortlauderdale.gov/PublicServiceLoanForgiveness for more information or to see if you qualify. This job classification is in Management Category I for benefits purposes, which includes Ten (10) additional management vacation days per calendar year and a monthly vehicle allowance of $390.00.
This is a non-classified "at-will" position and is not subject to Civil Service Rules or any collective bargaining agreement. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Manages the planning, design, installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of the City's public safety technology infrastructure including but not limited to mission-critical radio communications networks, Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL) units, License Plate Readers (LPR), fingerprint readers, body camera technology, city-wide access control, city-wide video security cameras systems and associated components and applications, in order to maintain and consistently improve security, reliability, performance and capacity.
- Manages the Police desktop services and business applications teams in the monitoring, organizing, coordinating and responding to repair and problem requests and alerts.
- Prepares technology recommendation memoranda and technical specifications for the procurement of public safety technology hardware, software and services.
- Keeps informed on the latest developments, standards and trends in public safety technologies and services to make cost-effective recommendations.
- Collaborate and coordinate with staff, project managers, vendors and customers to ensure that projects and technology initiatives are completed on time, on budget and according to scope and specifications.
- Develops public safety technology disaster recovery and business continuity plans to deal with catastrophic and cybersecurity events.
- Responsible for the management of the Division's budget and preparing and presenting the division's recommended budget to the Department Director, budget office, City's Budget Advisory Board and City Manager
- Responsible for day to day operations in planning, organizing, and directing programs and functional responsibilities of the department's public safety services division.
- Works closely as part of the ITS leadership team on the department's strategic, business and operational planning and execution initiatives and activities
- Participates in the development and implementation of a department wide project management framework and operations services management and reporting process
- Manages or coordinates projects and initiatives as assigned; confers with the public, business community, governmental agencies, officials and other stakeholders including City Commission
- Reviews and participates in the approval process for various technology related contracts and agreements.
- Prepares, approves, and presents items for consideration of the City Commission
- Interviews candidates for employment and recommends in the interest of the City, that eligible applicants hired and that subordinate employees be transferred, promoted, reassigned, disciplined or terminated; participates in the administration of collective bargaining agreements and in the adjustment of grievances
- Performs related duties as required and as directed.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Management, Business, Public Administration or related field.
- Five (5) or more years of progressively responsible professional/managerial level experience leading a public safety technology team. Additional qualifying experience or completion of coursework at an accredited college or university in a job-related field, may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required experience or education.
- Two (2) years of supervisory experience required.
- At least two (2) years of project management experience.
- Prior governmental experience.
- Prior police experience.
PHYSICAL STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- An in-depth employment background check, including a polygraph exam, will be conducted as part of the post offer onboarding process as this position is deemed security sensitive.
- Essential Employees may be required to work during a declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine who will be required to work.
The position involves medium physical demands, such as exerting up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION Applications will be reviewed and the hiring authority will contact those applicants whose application reflects the best match of experience for the position.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous