With more than 10 million residents, Los Angeles County has the largest population of any county in the nation. As the largest employer in Southern California, with more than 37 diverse departments and over 2,300 different job descriptions, the County offers a lifetime of opportunities and careers.Be a part of something great!
We are Los Angeles County Public Works, the largest municipal Public Works agency in the nation. With more than 4,000 employees, Public Works offers over 500 different types of career opportunities that promote professional and personal growth as well as a rewarding and exciting work environment.
Don't miss an opportunity to join our team!We will be accepting applications for the Traffic Technician I position beginning:
Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 7:00 a.m. (PT) - Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. Exam Number:
Essential Job Functions
A Traffic Technician I is responsible for performing a combination of the following essential job functions:
- Assists Traffic Signal Electricians with the installation and repair of traffic control cabinets and electrical services.
- Assists with the testing of traffic signal control equipment.
- Assist with the installation, maintenance, and modification of traffic signal systems.
- Under supervision, adjusts timing at signalized intersections; repairs solid state equipment to the component level.
- Installs and repairs all types of electrical conduit.
- Pulls in wire and cable through conduit and makes splices.
- Reads and understands traffic signal plans and timing sheets.
- Independently repairs highway safety lights and illuminated street name signs.
- Maintains tools, equipment, and work and supply records.
- Operates a variety of electronic test equipment.
- Assists in the maintenance and repair of high and medium voltage streetlight, soffit tunnel, and bridge lighting circuits; reads and understands traffic signal plans and timing sheets.
- Drives automotive equipment to and from work sites.
- Drives unit trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more.
- Operates construction equipment and tools such as air compressors, jackhammers, dirt compactors, cement mixers and arrow boards/changeable message signs.
- Rotates through the evening shift, works scheduled weekend standby, and takes after-hour call-outs to assist with troubleshooting traffic signal malfunctions and emergency repairs.
- Operates aerial manlifts up to 30' and mobile cranes.
- Surveys and marks County maintained underground conduit systems through the Underground Service Alert program.
Completion of 12 semester units or 18 quarter units in electronics technology at an accredited community college or trade school* -OR-
Completion of electronics technician training in a school operated by a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces.*Vision:
Keen color perception.License:
A valid California Class C Driver License is required to perform job-related essential functions. A valid California Class A License may be required.License Information:
Successful applicants for positions that require driving must obtain and present a copy of his/her driving record from the California State Department of Motor Vehicles before final appointment. Applicants should not present a copy of their driving history until asked to do so by the hiring department. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether an applicant's driving history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job. License must not be currently suspended, restricted, or revoked.
The County is required to comply with the Federal regulations which require pre-employment, post accident, reasonable suspicion, return to work, follow up, and random urine drug and breath testing of employees who carry commercial driver licenses and who are assigned to drive certain vehicles.Physical Expectations:
Physical Class IV - Arduous involves frequent heavy lifting over 25 pounds, often combined with bending, twisting, or working on irregular surfaces; and occasionally requires extraordinary physical activity.Special Requirement Information:
submit a copy of their transcripts and/or written verification of a completed training program with their application within five (5) calendar days from filing
. Applications submitted without the required documents will be rejected as incomplete.
Additional Information Our Assessment Process:
This examination will consist of two (2) parts:Part I:
A written test covering numerical reasoning, trade math, and knowledge of electrical principles weighted 50%. Only those candidates who achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the written test will be invited to Part II of the examination.THE WRITTEN TEST IS NOT REVIEWABLE BY CANDIDATES PER CIVIL SERVICE RULE 7.19. Part II:
An interview covering training, experience, work style, and general ability to perform the duties of the position weighted 50%.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on both parts to be placed on the eligible register. Test scores cannot be disclosed over the phone.NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.Eligibility Information:
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade on the examination will be added to the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.
Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and those earning a passing grade will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly. Vacancy Information:
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department.Application and filing information:
Fill out your application completely. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job.
The acceptance of your application will depend on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the Requirements
. Please be sure your application shows complete information, including dates for education and jobs held which relate to this position. In the space provided for education, include the names and addresses of schools attended, titles of courses completed, dates completed, and number of credits earned. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, and description of work performed. All information supplied by applicants is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination process and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.Important Notes:
ONLINE FILING ONLY FOR THIS EXAMINATION. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED VIA U.S. MAIL, E-MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION or RESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification and/or Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION and you may be DISQUALIFIED .
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" button at the top right of this posting. You can track the status of your application online and get notified of your progress by email.
Many important notifications such as test invitation, and other special information are only communicated via e-mail. DO NOT select "off" under Email Preferences within your profile or click "unsubscribe" on our notices if you would like the County of Los Angeles to notify you regarding your application status, test schedules, and other important information pertaining to your candidacy for this position. Moreover, please add (exam analyst email address), and "email@example.com" to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being blocked or filtered as spam/junk email from your email provider. The County of Los Angeles will not consider allegations of not receiving the email notification as an acceptable reason to authorize a reschedule or late exam administration. Please note, you can visit "www.governmentjobs.com" log into your profile and check your inbox. The inbox retains a copy of all emails sent, for your records.
Note: If you are unable to attach required documents, you must email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
within five (5) calendar days from filing. Please include your name, exam number, and exam title on the documents.CLICK HERE FOR ADDITIONAL EMPLOYMENT INFORMATION! CONTACT INFORMATION Department Contact Name:
Bianca A. GarciaDepartment Contact Phone:
(626) 458-2141Department Contact Email: email@example.comADA Coordinator Phone:
(626) 458-2141Teletype Phone:
(626) 282-7829California Relay Services: