The PositionThis is a limited continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:7/24/20, 8/14/20 (Final Cut-off)
Senior Office Specialists provide a wide range of specialized technical clerical support throughout County departments. The work performed varies depending on the specific program or assignment. Some Senior Office Specialists may give direction and review the work of a group of workers while performing the same duties as the workers.Special Assignments:
With few exceptions, Senior Office Specialists are found in one of the following special assignments: Retirement Administration, Recording Legal Documents, Personnel Actions, Payroll, Examination Scheduling/Processing, Certifications, Medical and Life Insurance Administration, and Property Tax Assessment.Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Customer service techniques for dealing with customers, often in a difficult or confrontational situation
- Sacramento County and various departmental policies and procedures
- Basic data processing principles
- Clear writing: grammar, punctuation, spelling, vocabulary
- Standard methods of filing (alphabetic, numeric, chronological)
- English language to communicate
- Telephone procedures
- Arithmetic to make calculations including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Keyboard (computer, typewriter)
- General principles, procedures and practices of recordkeeping
- Letter and memo format
Required for some positions:
- Communicate effectively with the public and other public agencies
- Apply and explain complex rules, codes, laws, and ordinances
- Deal tactfully with people and resolve difficult complaints
- Understand and follow basic/complex oral and written instructions
- Read English at a level necessary to understand procedure manuals, policy guidelines, software manuals, technical documents and reports
- Write English at a level necessary to compose correspondence independently from notes or verbal instruction
- Assists supervisors in writing policies, procedures and desk manuals
- Train and cross-train employees
- Give instructions and assign work to staff
- Work independently and carry out assignments with minimal supervision
- Elicit information from inside and outside sources
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Operate 10-key adding machine
- Exercise independent judgment in determining proper work methods and procedures, assembling and evaluating information
- Analyze, evaluate, and draw logical conclusions
- Learn specific codes, laws, ordinances, legal documents and technical terminology related to each program or assignment
- Calculate solutions to match problems involving addition, subtraction, division, multiplication
- Operate computer terminals, typewriter, printer, copier, microfiche, and FAX
- Prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Write English at a level necessary to prepare correspondence according to specified format and record incoming information
- Speak English at a level necessary to communicate information clearly
- Operate communication devices, telephone, and may include radios
- Deal tactfully with people
- Accurately proofread details, noting and detecting errors
Types from clear copy accurately at a rate of not less than 35 words a minute.Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications
Any combination of education, training, and experience likely to provide the required knowledge and abilities for this class as described above. Typical ways include:
Two (2) years of specialized clerical experience comparable to one of the special assignments listed above.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the final filing date listed in this notice.Special RequirementsSpecial Skills Language Requirement
Ability to speak, read, and/or write fluently in a language other than English, or knowledge of the culture as certified by the Department of Personnel Services (Formerly Department of Human Resources).
Where required, these special skills may be used in performing such tasks as the following:
1. Gives information by telephone or in person, regarding department services in a language other than English, to persons whose understanding of English is limited.
2. Translates from written English, the regulations or ordinances, to a language other than English.
3. Translates to English, requests from the public, orally or in writing in a language other than standard English.
4. As assigned, assists other department employees by giving information and advice on problems involving relationships with persons of different language or cultural backgrounds.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail
EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 8/14/2020 5:00 PM Pacific