Introduction HELP YOUR COMMUNITY EXERCISE THEIR RIGHT TO VOTE! Become a Placer County Elections Aide Today! The Placer County Elections Office is seeking temporary/extra help Elections Aides for the November 3, 2020 election.
Application materials will be screened on a weekly basis. To be considered for the next round of interviews, application materials must be submitted by Noon on Friday, August 14, 2020
Elections Aides are responsible for performing a wide variety of tasks including, but not limited to, setting up equipment and supplies; assisting and processing voters; and assisting in closing procedures.
Elections Aides will be required to attend a two-week mandatory training in October. In addition, Elections Aides will be required to work from Saturday, October 31, 2020 through Tuesday, November 3, 2020. You must be able to work all four days.
POSITION INFORMATION To work the election, you must meet the following criteria:
Are you bilingual?
- Be at least 18 years of age (or a minimum of 16 years of age if participating in the Student Poll Worker Program)
- Be a registered voter in the State of California OR a permanent legal resident of the United States
- Be able to read and write in fluent English
- Be able to attend a mandatory two-week training prior to the election
The County of Placer is actively recruiting bilingual Elections Aides to serve their communities. We need your help if you are fluent in English and any of the following languages:
Under supervision, performs a variety of manual and clerical tasks in the preparation of elections materials; assist in checking and verifying signatures and recording precinct numbers on petitions; assists in preparations for election vote counting; and does other work as required.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
Incumbents of this class work on an extra-help only basis, and as such cannot work in excess of 1000 hours in a fiscal year, nor are they eligible to be transitioned into a permanent full-time position. Assigned tasks are performed on an as-needed basis, usually during peak work periods generated by preparatory and subsequent activities related to elections. Task assignments are generally routine, may be easily learned with training and do not require continuous supervision.SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from higher level Elections staff.EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIESDuties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS It is the responsibility of applicants to identify in their application materials how they meet the minimum qualifications listed below.
- Respond to public inquiries by telephone or at the counter concerning general information, such as location of precinct polling places, absentee voter applications and ballots, and other routine information.
- Assist the public by providing requested forms and with completing forms.
- Verify signature on voter registration affidavit forms.
- Proofread sample ballots, official ballots and other elections material.
- Perform routine tasks such as filing, sorting, filling envelopes with voting material and batching.
- Perform a variety of assigned tasks in preparation for election vote counting.
- Prepare precinct supplies by packing boxes of materials.
- Locate polling places and pick up ballots and other supplies.
Some work or voluntary experience including public contact which provides the abilities required above.Training:
Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.License or Certificate:
May need to possess a valid driver's license as required by the position. Proof of adequate vehicle insurance and medical clearance may also be requiredKNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIESKnowledge of:
- English usage, spelling, and punctuation.
- Basic office methods and equipment.
- Basic mathematical calculations.
- Procedures for maintaining inventory records.
- Methods for the care and operation of common duplicating bindery and postage equipment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
- On continuous basis, sit at desk and/or stand at counter for long periods of time. Intermittently twist and reach office equipment; bend, squat, climb, kneel and twist when operating equipment; write or use keyboard; occasionally run errands, lift light to moderate weight.
- Intermittently review and verify documents related to election operations to include verification of authenticity of signatures.
- Establish effective working relationships with the public in order to explain and interpret forms and procedures.
- Understand and carry out both oral and written directions.
- Perform routine mathematical calculations.
- Operate, adjust and maintain duplicating, bindery and postage equipment.
- Proofread documents for correctness and consistency.
- Verify and check data.
Thank you for your interest in employment with Placer County. Placer County is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an active nondiscrimination program. It is the stated policy of Placer County that harassment, discrimination, and retaliation are prohibited and that all employees, applicants, agents, contractors, and interns/volunteers shall receive equal consideration and treatment. All terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, transfer, and promotion will be based on the qualifications of the individual for the positions being filled regardless of gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, physical disability (Including HIV and AIDS), mental disability, medical condition (cancer or genetic characteristics/information), age (40 or over), marital status, military and/or veteran status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Please contact the Human Resources Department at least 5 working days before a scheduled examination if you require accommodation in the examination process. Medical disability verification may be required prior to accommodation.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous