The Position OPEN UNTIL FILLEDBargaining Unit: Local 856 - Health Services Unit
The Contra Costa County Health Services Department is offering an excellent career opportunity for one (1) qualified individual interested in the Senior Public Health Microbiologist position assigned to the Public Health Laboratory located in Martinez, CA; the appointee may be required to travel to various locations within Contra Costa County.
The Senior Public Health Microbiologist is responsible for accurately applying knowledge of accepted scientific techniques, methods, and procedures while performing varied and complex bacteriological, serological, mycological, virological, and parasitological tests. Duties and responsibilities include providing lead direction to technical and non-technical staff; performing tests for which standard procedures have not been established; consulting with supervisor, physicians, and private laboratories in performing tests; making decisions and providing opinions on specimens which fall outside normal limits and maintaining quality control records. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record demonstrating the following:
Characteristics of the ideal candidate:
- Knowledge of accepted techniques, methods and procedures for making bacteriological, serological, mycological, virological and parasitological tests, including specialized and more complex tests
- Ability to assimilate training and experience necessary to perform required specialized microbiological tests
- Excellent leadership and training skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with laboratory staff, the public and members of the medical profession
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
To read the complete job description, please visit the website www.cccounty.us/hr--
The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for six (6) months.
TENTATIVE EXAM DATE:
Tentative Training and Experience Evaluation: Periodically until vacancy is filled
Minimum Qualifications Registration Required:
- Performs the more difficult and complex bacteriological, serological, parasitological, virological, mycological, and immunological tests
- May perform tests for which standard procedures have not been established
- Acts as lead person over a work group of Public Health Microbiologists and non-technical staff
- Provides technical lead direction Public Health Microbiologists
- Makes decisions and gives opinions on specimens which fall outside normal limits
- Consults with supervisor, physicians and private laboratories in performing tests
- Maintains quality control records for an assigned work group
- Performs less complex microbiological tests as required
- Provides and promotes excellent customer service for all internal and external customers
Possession of a valid certificate as a Public Health Microbiologist issued by the State Department of Health.Experience:
Three (3) years of full-time experience or its equivalent performing varied microbiological and clinical tests, and analysis training as a Public Health Microbiologist or Clinical Laboratory Scientist.Substitution for Experience:
A Master's degree in a chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory science field from an accredited institution may be substituted for one (1) year of clinical lab experience.Other Requirements:
A background investigation/fingerprint and/or physical exam may be required prior to the start of employment. ALL APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF THEIR CERTIFICATION AT TIME OF APPLICATION Selection Process 1. Application Filing:
All applicants must apply on-line at www.cccounty.us/hr and submit the information as indicated on the job announcement by the final filing date.2. Application Evaluation:
Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best-qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination.3. Training and Experience Evaluation:
Consists of an evaluation of each candidate's relevant education, training and/or experience as presented on the application and supplemental questionnaire. (Weighted 100%).
4. Candidates must receive a score of at least 70, which may be an adjusted score, in order to be ranked on the employment list.
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with the Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.CONVICTION HISTORY
After you receive a conditional job offer, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you have received a conditional job offer. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with Contra Costa County. If you accept a conditional job offer, the Human Resources department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment. DISASTER SERVICE WORKER
All Contra Costa County employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law. Employment with the County requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is the policy of Contra Costa County to consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identify, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, or other protected category under the law.