The City of Fort Lauderdale community builders possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers.
Assist the senior network engineer with the research, planning, design, implementation, integration, maintenance, and support of network and firewall infrastructure (enterprise networks, firewalls, Internet, remote access and Wi-Fi communications, related applications, systems and peripherals) across multiple data centers and city locations. Participate in multiple network and firewall projects simultaneously including the initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and close-out phases. Provide technical leadership and guidance for the maintenance and support of the network and firewall infrastructure to ensure continuous performance, availability, reliability, integrity and security improvements.
NOTE: The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description.This position will remain open until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.The City offers a wide variety of benefits to their employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, the City offers 401(a) participation with a 9% City contribution and no employee match!Say "Hello" to the City of Fort Lauderdale and Say "Goodbye" to Your Student Loan! That's right! Under the U.S. Department of Education's Public Service Loan Forgiveness ( PSLF ) program, the remaining balance on your student loan may be forgiven after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time at the City of Fort Lauderdale! Please visit
www.fortlauderdale.gov/PublicServiceLoanForgiveness for more information or to see if you qualify. This job classification is in Management Category III for benefits purposes.
This job classification is included within the bargaining unit represented by Federation of Public Employees and therefore is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Federation of Public Employees.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Assist the senior network engineer to develop, implement and maintain documentation, best practices, standards, policies and procedures to continuously improve the performance, availability, reliability, integrity and security of the City's network and firewall infrastructure.
- Assist the senior network engineer to plan, design, deploy, integrate, maintain and support network and firewall infrastructure services consisting of enterprise networks, firewalls, Internet, remote access and Wi-Fi communications, related applications, systems and peripherals.
- Maintain extensive knowledge in IT network and firewall infrastructure technology areas, such as enterprise networks, firewalls, Internet, remote access and Wi-Fi communications, related applications, systems and peripherals.
- Maintain a working knowledge in other IT infrastructure technology areas, such as identity and access management (IAM), physical, virtualized and cloud computing, storage area networks (SAN), Cloud Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), enterprise Email, VoIP telephone, call center, video conferencing, collaborations, audio visual and digital signage systems, related applications, systems and peripherals.
- Troubleshoot and resolve level 4 network and firewall infrastructure problems and provide guidance to junior staff members during the troubleshooting of non-level 4 problems.
- Perform root cause analyst of major network and firewall infrastructure issues and develop strategies for preventative and permanent solutions.
- Work with the operations team to create effective monitoring, alerting, reporting, automation and capacity planning for network and firewall infrastructure equipment, systems and applications to ensure network and firewall performance, availability, reliability, integrity and security.
- Collaborate with project management staff to effectively and efficiently scope, plan, execute, monitor and closeout small to medium network and firewall projects.
- Assist the senior network engineer to develop technical specifications of purchasing documents (for example, Request for Proposals (RFP), BIDs, scope of works, etc.) for the acquisition of network and firewall infrastructure equipment and services.
- Perform network and firewall infrastructure operations, maintenance, support and project duties as required during non-business hours.
- Performs related work as required
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science and at least three (3) years of experience assisting with the research, planning, design, implementation, integration, maintenance, and support of a large network and firewall infrastructure (enterprise networks, firewalls, Internet, remote access and Wi-Fi communications, related applications, systems and peripherals) across multiple data centers and locations. Additional qualifying experience or completion of coursework at an accredited college or university in a job-related field, may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required experience or education.
- Cisco network and firewall experience preferred.
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) routing and switching certification preferred.
- An in-depth pre-employment background check, including a polygraph exam, will be conducted as part of the selection process as this position is deemed security-sensitive. Felony convictions, convictions of crimes of moral turpitude, or convictions of misdemeanors related to job duties may disqualify you from being considered for this position. It is your responsibility to provide at time of application, an official disposition of all charges of which you were found guilty, had adjudication withheld, or pled no contest.
- Positions working with Police systems will require CJIS Certification (Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement)
may be required to work during a declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine who will be required to work. WORKING ENVIRONMENT: PHYSICAL STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The position involves medium physical demands, such as exerting up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants may be required to take a medical examination and/or pass a drug screening prior to appointment.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form ( J204 ).
Closing Date/Time: Continuous