THE CITY OF RIVERSIDE IS ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE CLASSIFICATION OF FIRE PLAN CHECK ENGINEER TO FILL ONE CURRENT VACANCY IN THE PREVENTION DIVISION OF THE FIRE DEPARTMENT .THE ELIGIBILITY LIST ESTABLISHEDMAY BE UTILIZED TO FILL THE CURRENT AND/OR UPCOMING VACANCIES WITHIN THIS CLASSIFICATION FOR UP TO SIX MONTHS.
Under general supervision, to perform professional and technical level work including the review of site, building, and fire protection system plans for compliance with established codes, ordinances, and other applicable regulations; to review calculations and plans submitted for fire protection and prevention principles for the protection of life and property; and to do related work as required.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review and interpret site plans, building plans, fire protection system plans, alarm system plans, specifications and calculation submitted for residential tracts, multi-unit residential homes, public assembly, and commercial industrial buildings to ensure compliance with codes, ordinances, and other applicable regulations.
- Evaluate and determine existing and proposed fire protection and fire alarm systems conformity to construction plans and compliance with a variety of buildings and fire/life safety codes and issues permits and notices.
- Enforce code requirements for the design, construction and installation of equipment and materials based on an analysis of fire related hazards.
- Identify and communicate deficiencies of plans, calculations, and specifications.
- Supervise fire education, prevention, plan check and inspection activities; assign, train, and evaluate assigned staff.
- Conduct field inspections and assist field inspectors and other staff with complex or unusual requirements for residential, commercial, public assembly and other structures. Provide assistance to the public in calculating fees, issuing permits and dispensing general and technical information.
- Provide technical assistance to other city departments and staff; coordinate effectively with outside regulatory agencies.
Qualifications Recruitment Guidelines:
OPTION I:Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major work in fire protection engineering or related field.Two (2) years of professional experience in fire protection engineering.
OPTION II:Equivalent to completion of three (3) years of college coursework from an accredited college or university with major work in fire protection engineering or related field.Three (3) years of professional experience in fire protection engineering.
OPTION III:Equivalent to an Associate's degree from an accredited college or university with major work in fire protection engineering or related field.Four (4) years of professional experience in fire protection engineering.
OPTION IV:Equivalent to completion of one (1) year of college coursework from an accredited college or university with major work in fire protection engineering or related field.Five (5) years of professional experience in fire protection engineering.Highly Desirable Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major work in fire protection engineering or related field.
- 3 years experience as a Fire Inspector;
- 3 years experience as a Fire Plan Examiner;
- 3 years experience as a Plan Check Engineer;
- Possession of a Certification as a Fire Marshall or Plan Examiner or Fire Inspector II or Fire Inspector I;
- Possession of a Certification as a Plan Examiner by the International Code Council;
- 1 year supervisory experience;
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:1)
Completed Employment Application2)
Completed Supplemental Questionnaire IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment.You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions.Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process.This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.