We are seeking experiencedCustodians/Housekeepersto be responsible for custodial/housekeeping dutiesin and around County buildings and healthcare facilities.The current vacancies are Part-Time, Extra Help , and assigned to the San Mateo Medical Center .
Theideal candidatewill have at least two years of hands-on work experience performing the duties listed below in a government, hospital,locked facility, or similar facility and experience in stripping and waxing floorsare highly preferred.
Typical duties include: sweeping, scrubbing, stripping, waxing, buffing, polishing and vacuuming floors; sweeping, shampooing and vacuuming carpeted areas; dusting and polishing furniture, woodwork, screens, fixtures and equipment; picking up papers and other refuse on grounds; sweeping walkways and entrances; washing, scrubbing and disinfecting restrooms; washing walls; cleaning partition glass and drinking fountains; cleaning and polishing metalwork; emptying and cleaning waste containers; lifting and moving equipment, supplies or waste materials; replenishing supplies in restrooms and other locations; maintaining custodial equipment and supplies; reporting safety, sanitary and fire hazards; moving furniture, supplies and equipment; and assisting in moving or rearranging chairs, tables, desks, furniture and other equipment. Duties may also include checking building security by setting alarms, closing windows, locking doors and turning out lights; making minor repairs or adjustments in equipment; raising and lowering flags; and occasionally assisting with miscellaneous minor repair work. NOTE:
Extra-help assignments are at-will and the employee is paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra-help workers are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the extra-help assignment.
IMPORTANT:Custodians/Housekeepers may be required to work at various locations throughoutthe County of San Mateo(County Facilities/Buildings, San Mateo Medical Center, Maple Street Jail, Hall of Justice, Maguire Correctional Facility, and Youth Services Center) and/or shifts (days, evenings, holidays, and/or weekends).
Selected positions may require that the applicant obtain and maintain a security clearance as a condition of employment. Candidates for Public Works vacancies will be required to complete an extensive security clearance package and undergo a thorough background check conducted by the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office prior to hiring. The selected candidate must be cleared to work in and around a locked facility and detainees.
Qualifications Knowledge of:
- Proper use of cleaning materials, chemicals and disinfectants.
- Modern tools, equipment and techniques used in cleaning large multi-purpose facilities.
- Proper methods for clean-up and disposal of hazardous wastes.
Education and Experience:
- Follow oral and written instructions and relay information accurately.
- Read and understand labels and work orders, complete forms.
- Operate a variety of mechanized cleaning equipment including buffers, auto-scrubbers and extractors.
- Lift and carry tools, equipment or materials and supplies; bend, stoop and reach overhead; stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Make minor repairs and do minor maintenance work.
- Maintain safe working practices.
- Work courteously and effectively with the public and co-workers.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is one year of custodial experience.Licensure/Certification:
Some positions may require possession of a class C California driver license or equivalent.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
If you are interested in being considered for this Extra Help
position the following items must be submitted via e-mail:
- Responses to Supplemental Questions (maximum of 2 pages)
- How many year of custodian experience do you have, and where was this experience obtained. Please include details of any experience working as a custodian or housekeeper in a hospital or a healthcare facility.
- List employers or references to verify your responses. Include the following information: (A) Name of Employer or Reference, (B) Name of Supervisor or Manager, (C) Address, and (D) Telephone Number. You may include more than one employer or reference. Your application will be rejected if your response is incomplete so please make sure you provide all the required information.
Please include the wordsCustodian/Housekeeper - Extra Help Positionin the subject line of email submission. All submitted materials must be in a Word or PDF format.
Please submit the above listed materials via email to: Jeffrey Alota
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received, and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department. Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.
NOTE : Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (responses to supplemental questions and a resume) will not be considered.
The County of San Mateo is a diverse, inclusive workplace, where employees are valued and respected for their different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, and contributions.
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact: Wendy Young(070220) (Custodian - T075)