DescriptionDEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
The County of El Dorado , Department of Transportation is responsible for funding, designing, building, operating, and maintaining the County Road System. El Dorado County's Road System currently consists of approximately 1083 centerline miles of paved roadway, 76 bridges, a multitude of storm drainage systems, and related transportation facilities. The Department of Transportation has two main priorities: 1. Ensuring that our roads are safe for public use with due care in a manner in which it is reasonably foreseeable that they will be used and 2. Preserving and maintaining the public's multi-billion dollar investment in our roads, bridges, and other facilities. MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS DIVISION
The Maintenance and Operations Division is composed of Road Crews, Fleet Services, Equipment Mechanics, and Traffic Control Crews. This dedicated team manages the repair, maintenance, and replacement of existing County roadway and drainage infrastructure. It is also responsible for the maintenance of all 1083 centerline miles of roadway in the County. THE OPPORTUNITY
Put your knowledge and experience with heavy equipment repair and maintenance into action! You will have the opportunity to maintain, repair, and overhaul heavy and light road maintenance and construction equipment. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to:
In addition to these great opportunities, Equipment Mechanics in South Lake Tahoe are eligible for the following:
- Perform skilled maintenance and repair of heavy and light equipment such as trucks, tractors, graders, and caterpillars.
- Diagnose, repair, and overhaul gas and diesel engines.
- Realign, rebuse, and rebuild cams, brake pots, valves, and related parts of braking systems.
- Perform major and minor repairs of rear suspension, walking beams, and torque arms.
- Repair and replace drivelinecomponents; overhaul rear ends, reduction power dividers, clutch assemblies, universal joints, driveshafts, and related components.
- Road tests equipment; drive trucks or equipment as required; inspect and repair vehicles in the shop and field.
- Work collaboratively with other employees to repair heavy equipment.
- $50/month tool allowance
- $300/year boot allowance
- $92.30/pay period Tahoe differential pay
- $11.53/pay period uniform allowance
- Enrollment in low cost health benefits available through the bargaining unit which represents the Equipment Mechanic classification.
For a full description of duties and responsibilities please review the job description here . THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Department of Transportation is looking for a self-starter that has demonstrated professional skill in diagnosing and repairing a wide variety of heavy and light equipment. The incumbent will have knowledge of the operation and maintenance of a wide variety of hand, power, and shop tools and equipment common in the field. The incumbent will also be able to exercise independent judgment and display initiative without close supervision. The incumbent will possess a positive attitude and enjoy completing projects with the maintenance team.The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Successful completion of appropriate trade school or technical coursework in diesel or gasoline-powered mechanics
- Skill in electric arc and gas welding
- Mechanic tool set available for use on the job
- Valid commercial Class B or Class A license
Human Resources will assess your application to determine if you are minimally qualified using the following minimum qualifications:
Equipment Mechanic I:
Two (2) years of experience in the maintenance and repair of vehicles and heavy construction equipment.Successful completion of appropriate trade school or technical coursework in diesel or gasoline-powered mechanics may be substituted for the required work experience on a year for year basis to a maximum of one year.Equipment Mechanic II:
In addition to the above,EITHER
two (2) years of experience at a level equivalent to the County's class of Equipment Mechanic I classOR
completion of a recognized apprenticeship in the vehicle/equipment repair trade.Additional Requirements:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Must acquire a valid commercial Class B driver's license with no restrictions as to transmission and air brakes and Tanker Endorsement within six (6) months from date of hire.
Click here to view the minimum qualifications for an Equipment Mechanic I/II as well as the physical, environmental, and working conditions. SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Apply online by clicking on the 'Apply' link at the top of this announcement. When your online application and responses to the required supplemental questions are complete, click 'Accept'.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, contact Alisha Johnson in Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org RECRUITMENT PROCESS
The Human Resources Department will screen all applications to identify qualified candidates. After screening, qualified candidates will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the recruitment process.Training and Experience Review (Weighted 100%):
A training and experience review consists of candidates responding to supplemental questions on the job application. A subject matter expert will evaluate each candidate's responses based on predetermined criteria. The subject matter experts are not granted access to the candidate's application; therefore, responses to the supplemental questions should be thorough, detailed, and complete.
For more information on the recruitment process click here .Based on the hiring department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures.ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
The County of El Dorado is recruiting applicants for Equipment Mechanic I/II. This recruitment will establish a list for the purpose of filling current and future full time, part time and extra help vacancies for at least three (3) months. There is currently one (1) full time vacancy in the Department of Transportation located in South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
The County of El Dorado is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Many job classifications require pre-employment medical screening. Depending on the job classification, medical screening may include testing for drugs, including but not limited to marijuana; a positive test may result in revocation of an employment offer.
Not just rustic mining towns and historic sites - Today El Dorado County is a year-round vacation destination overflowing with outdoor adventure, inviting agritourism locations, enriching family activities, and a proud Gold Rush history.
Escape the traffic and smog because El Dorado County is just:
- 40 miles to Downtown Sacramento
- 50 miles to Sacramento International Airport
- 129 miles to San Francisco
Here are a few of the many activities and events available throughout El Dorado County:
CHECK OUT OUR VIDEO TO LEARN MORE!
- Hiking, Camping, Fishing, Boating, and Watersports
- Skiing and Snowboarding
- Live Music and Music Festivals
- Local Craft Breweries and Wineries
- El Dorado County Fair
- Placerville Speedway Races
- Farm to ForkRestaurants
- Local Shopping Gems
Closing Date/Time: Continuous