The Position This is a limited continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 6/30/20, 8/31/20, 10/30/20, 12/30/20(final)
Positions in this series perform a variety of professional engineering and/or architectural activities in connection with the planning, design, construction, alteration, code enforcement, surveying, testing of materials, contract administration and/or management of public works projects, including, but not limited to, buildings and other structures; streets, highways and bridges; sewer, water, and drainage pipeline systems; water supply; wastewater treatment; solid waste management; airports and parks; and site improvements. Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
Applicable to all Options
- Engineering anddesign analysis
- Engineering and architectural procedures and principles
- Construction practices and safety requirements
- The strength, properties, and use of materials in building construction
- Principles and techniques of personnel management training and supervision
- General knowledge of City, County, State, and Federal building codes and regulations and the principles upon which the codes and regulations are based
- Report and specification writing
- Plans and specification requirements
Building Design Option
- Effective space utilization
- Contracts and the legal relationships between owner, architect, consultant, contractor and sub-contractor
- Drafting practices and techniques
- Program requirements
- Interrelationship between human and environmental factors as they apply to building design
Building Inspection Option
- Principles and practices applicable to the structural evaluation and design of complex buildings and structures
- Construction code requirements including, but not limited to, occupancy safety, fire resistive construction, approved standards, and State disability accessibility requirements
- Building permit procedures used by local governments
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Prepare plans and specifications
- Review plans and specifications and recognize and require needed changes prior to approval
- Make estimates to materials, labor, and other elements entering into the cost of building construction, remodeling, and maintenance
- Supervise the work of office staff; establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Prepare correspondence, schedules, and technical reports
Current registration as a Civil Engineer or Architect in the State of California AND
Two years experience in the design, construction, or plan review of multi-story buildings and facilities for human occupancy.Note:
The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.Special Requirements
A valid Driver's License, Class C or higher, is required prior to appointment to all positions in this class series.
Notes: (1) Failure to maintain a valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher may constitute cause for termination from this class in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4.
(2) Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Per Assembly Bill 717, positions assigned to the Building Inspection Division are required to obtain a certification from a recognized state, national, or international association, as determined by the County, within two years of date of hire or assignment.
Some positions in this class series require incumbents to complete one year of verifiable experience in the appropriate field, and one year thereafter, to obtain certification from a recognized state, national, or international association, as determined by the County.
Any person currently and continuously employed by the County as an inspector, plans examiner or building official, for not less than two years prior to January 1, 1996, is exempt from the certification requirements as outlined above.
In addition, persons appointed to this class might be required to complete a minimum of 45 hours of continuing education every three years. The County may determine appropriate providers of continuing education such as community colleges or organizations affiliated with code enforcement.
Note: Failure to meet the required certification requirements may constitute cause for termination from this class in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
Frequent: working in excess of 40 hours a week;
Occasional: working irregular hours, particularly during emergency situations.
Frequent: having public contact, making decisions effecting health and safety of employees/residents, responding to changing priorities.
Frequent: good overall vision, reading, close-up work, and peripheral vision. Some positions require the ability to discern the full spectrum of colors.
Frequent: hearing normal speech and on the telephone
Frequent: talking in person and on the telephone
Frequent: performing keyboard operations and sitting for long periods
Occasional: walking on uneven terrain at construction sites, etc.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is twelve (12)
months. Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail
EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email.Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox.Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 12/30/2020 5:00 PM Pacific