Candidates must possess a High School Diploma or General Education Development (G.E.D.) Certificate to qualify. Applications without the required Diploma/Certificate will be rejected.The test day for this recruitment is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, 10/17/20.
A Sheriff's Correctional Deputy Cadet enters training to join the ranks of Sheriff's Correctional Deputies who, under supervision, maintain order and security of inmates within a detention facility, transport from the correctional facilities to and from court, medical facilities, and other locations within and outside the County, supervise a crew of inmates in work projects throughout the County, and assist in the correction of antisocial attitudes and behavior. The Sheriff's Office is proud of our diverse workforce, and we encourage women and ethnic minorities to apply.
After passing the exam and screening processes, candidates are eligible to be hired as a Sheriff's Correctional Deputy and attend an Adult Correctional Academy training program as trainee.
Agility Examination: Prior to appointment as a cadet, each candidate must pass an agility test as part of the examination process. The agility test consists of three timed events: 99-yard obstacle course, drag a 165-lb bag for 32 feet, and a 500-yard run.
When hired, Sheriff's Correctional Deputy Cadets enter a 13-week Adult Correctional Academy training program. Benefits include medical, dental, and life insurance programs. Your status as trainee pursuant to the Fair Labor Standard Act does not entitle you to overtime or holiday pay while attending the Academy.
After Academy graduation, Cadets are eligible to be sworn in as a regular Sheriff's Correctional Deputy at the start of the following pay period, and be considered probationary employees of the Sheriff's Office.
A 5% salary increase is given for satisfactory job performance six months after appointment as a Sheriff's Correctional Deputy at Step 1.
Newly appointed Sheriff's Correctional Deputies must successfully complete an 18-month probationary period during which they will be required to complete a training program under the supervision of a training officer. The County supplies all safety equipment, as provided by law.
Advanced in-service training is available at the department level and in cooperation with local schools, state and national agencies. Regular County policy on tuition reimbursement applies to Sheriff's Correctional Deputies.
Upon graduation from the Adult Correctional Academy, it is a condition of employment that newly appointed Sheriff's Correctional Deputies must sign a payroll deduction authorization form providing for deduction of union membership dues or an equivalent service fee. A thirty (30) calendar day cancelation period is provided.
Candidates may go to Career Opportunities FAQ
to see responses to a list of frequently asked questions about the hiring process for Sheriff's Correctional Deputy Cadet.
Candidates must possess and clearly specify on their application the following:
- Graduation from high school or possession of a General Education Development (G.E.D.) Certificate at the time of application.
- Applicants who have passed their 20th birthday may submit an application but cannot be appointed until they have reached their 21st birthday.
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License (indicate your expiration month/year) prior to appointment.
- Have never been convicted of a felony. Any felony conviction and/or a conviction outside of California that would be considered a felony in this state is disqualifying.
- Must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.
- Must be able to take and pass a thorough medical examination. May be disqualified on the basis of established medical standards (current departmental orders). Vision must not be less than 20/100, correctable to 20/20 with normal depth and color perception.
- Must be able to successfully demonstrate and maintain physical fitness in order to perform the full scope and functions of the job.
- Must be able to pass a complete background investigation including fingerprints and a search of local, state and national files for criminal history.
*Sheriff's Correctional Deputies are required to maintain a certificate of CPR (Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation) and first-aid training.
Candidates must also successfully pass a psychological evaluation.
Candidates eliminated on the basis of the medical or psychological examinations may not reapply for one year.
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.