TRAINING AND CERTIFICATIONS ARE OFFERED BY PARKS AND RECREATION . INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED DURING THE INTERVIEW .
- Required Certifications: Current StarGuard Elite Lifeguard, AED , CPR , and First Aid Certification.
- Must be at least 15 years old.
This position will be filled at one of the following based on qualifications:
Notes to Applicants
- Lifeguard I ($15.00 per hour): Must be 15 years of age; and have required certifications. Lifeguard I position is restricted to limited hours and locations during the summer only (summer is defined by AISD school calendar).
- Lifeguard II ($15.00 per hour): Must be 16 years of age; and have required certifications.
- Lifeguard III ($15.25 per hour): Must be 17 years of age; and have required certifications.
UPDATE : Thank you for applying with the City of Austin. We hope you and your family are safe during this turbulent time in our nation. We understand you have heard reports regarding public and private organizational measures to reduce the risk of exposures to the COVID -19 virus. This has clearly had an impact on most business operations and our aquatic facilities are cautiously reopening based on safety guidelines determined by the City of Austin/Austin Public Health Department. This posting for this temporary aquatic position will remain active as we prepare for a modified summer aquatics season and we encourage you to apply. In the meantime, we will continue to evaluate the situation and keep applicants updated as aquatics facilities are allowed to resume operations.
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department ( PARD ) provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community.
- Tasks involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Must have reliable transportation to get to and from work for your assigned work hours.
- Must be physically and mentally able to communicate, respond and work with participant's needs and safety issues; and tolerate loud noise associated with enthusiasm and excitement.
- Ability to adapt to a variety of conditions such as daily walking, climbing, standing, balancing, kneeling, stooping, running, bending, crawling, swimming, stretching and reaching; and frequently walk and sit when leading various recreational activities.
- Work outdoors in any and all types of weather and/or inclement conditions; and in confined spaces.
ADDITIONAL EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS :
- Applicants will need to bring the following documents at time of interview: Valid I-9 Acceptable Documents and Social Security Card. For a complete list of acceptable I-9 documents please visit: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf
- After your interview is conducted, applicants will complete preliminary paperwork (i.e. criminal background investigation form).
- If given a conditional job offer of employment, applicants must take and pass the 40+ hour StarGuard Elite Lifeguard training course in order to move forward in the hiring process.
- Resumes are optional, but will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application. Detailed and complete Employment Application is required to help better evaluate the applicant's qualifications. Employment history dates must include month and year.
MINOR APPLICANTS (15-17 years of age):
- Applicants that are 15 years old may not work during the AISD school year if hired. During the summer, when eligible to work, restrictions will apply to hours and locations available to work.
- Applicants that are 15 and 16 years old are required to have a parent present during the interview and parent signatures on the applicant paperwork.
- Applicants that are 17 years old will require parent signatures on the applicant paperwork.
TRAINING and CERTIFICATIONS :
- Training for applicants will be offered by the City of Austin Parks & Recreation Department - Aquatic Division.
- Applicants must successfully pass the 40+ hour Lifeguard Training course to be considered for the Lifeguard position.
- Returning Lifeguard applicants (with current Lifeguard, AED , CPR and First Aid certification) will be required to take a review course in lieu of the 40+ hour class required for new lifeguards.
IF HIRED BY THE CITY OF AUSTIN PARKS AND RECREATION - AQUATIC DIVISION , APPLICANTS MUST ADHERE TO AND PARTICIPATE IN THE FOLLOWING :
- Attend mandatory Aquatic Division Orientation.
- Attend mandatory paid in-service meetings.
- Report to work on time for assigned shift(s); and remain free from being under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Wear assigned Aquatics Division staff uniform only while on duty.
- Be able to work weekdays, weekends and holidays; and willing to substitute for others.
- Perform general cleaning and maintenance duties during assigned shift(s).
- Work schedule and location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
Military/Veteran Preference for Interview Process:
- An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document at the time of the interview.
Drivers License and Certifications:
- If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
All PARD work site locations are tobacco-free.
- Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any PARD work site - including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicles located on the premises.
$15.00 - $15.25 per hour.Hours
Job Close Date
- Variable - up to 40 hours per week
- May be required to work during special events outside the normal hours for programming needs.
- Evenings, Weekends, & Holidays are required.
07/31/2020 Type of Posting
Parks & Recreation Regular/Temporary
Temporary (No benefits) Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
Various pools and recreation centers Preferred Qualifications
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
- Lifeguard experience preferred but is not necessary.
- Ability to travel to more than one location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Responsible for the safety of pool patrons by preventing accidents and responding quickly to emergency situations
Must know and be able to perform all skills required for certifications
Must follow and enforce pool policies and rules at all times
Performs routine maintenance to pool area i.e. vacuum, pick up trash
Must be able to verbally communicate with the public and staff effectively
Plans and organizes recreational program activities
Maintains inventories and cares for City property and equipment
Keeps supervisor informed of materials and supplies necessary to conduct programs
Cleans program areas after completion of activities and at end of work day
Demonstrates cooperative behavior with team, supervisors, and the public
Leads, teaches, demonstrates, and officiates recreational activities for a variety of age groups
Monitors and records compliance with safety and department guidelines and rules
Maintains attendance, activity, supply, and equipment records
Assists in development of lesson or activity plans and program evaluations
Assists in the use of equipment and supplies Communicates with a wide range of people
Provides information and directions
Encourages and guides participants Sets up equipment for scheduled recreational activities and events
May involve cash handling
May give direction to program volunteers on specific activities or projects
Other duties as assigned Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of general safety practices and procedures
- Knowledge of First Aid
- Basic knowledge of personal computer operation
- Ability to learn and care for equipment and supplies
- Ability to provide guidance and instruction
- Ability to communicate activity objectives, programs information, and directions
- Ability to conduct activities following established rules and guidelines
- Ability to retain and enforce safety rules and department guidelines
- Ability to evaluate program activities verbally and in writing
- Ability to obtain Lifeguard/First Aid/Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation/ AED certification
- Ability to plan, organize, motivate, lead, and promote a variety of recreational activities for different age groups with diverse interests and varying skill levels
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Are you at least 15 years of age?
* I understand that before I am hired with the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Aquatics Division - I must take and successfully pass the StarGuard Elite/First Aid/CPR/AED 40+ hour Training Course to work as a temporary Lifeguard. If I am a returning Lifeguard applicant (previously hired with the Aquatics Division - with current Lifeguard First Aid/CPR/AED certifications), I understand that this training will be for 20 hours instead of 40 hours.
* I understand that if after my interview I am offered the Lifeguard position contingent on passing the lifeguard training, city skills test, and successful outcome of Criminal Background Investigation, I will be asked to complete new hire paperwork. I must bring my Social Security Card and valid I-9 Acceptable Documents. For a complete list of acceptable I-9 documents please visit: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf
* If selected as Top Candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
* This is a multi-position job posting and you will only be notified if you are selected to move forward in the process. Once the department is no longer hiring for this position, you will receive a notification informing you of such.
- I acknowledge this statement
* This position requires traveling to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties. Will you be able to meet this requirement?"
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents Resume