PH5230EFIRST DAY OF FILING :
Monday, May 18, 2020 at 8:30 a.m., Pacific Time (PT)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job OpportunityPosition Information:
Provides public health nursing services in a facility or in the field, at the individual, family, and systems levels.Classification Standards:
Positions allocable to this class work under the administrative and technical supervision of a nurse supervisor or nurse manager. Public Health Nurses utilize the public health nursing process as comprised of assessment, nursing diagnosis, outcome identification, planning, implementation, and evaluation in the provision of generalized or specialized public health nursing services that promote the well-being of the community, seek to control and prevent disease, disability, and premature death, and improve the quality of life among the population of interest. Positions work independently within established professional and agency standards, regulations, and guidelines to apply a range of technical, interpersonal, analytical, and organizational knowledge and skills to problems of health as these affect the individual, family, and community. Assignments in this class involve making independent judgments in assessing health status, formulating a nursing diagnosis, identifying health improvement outcomes, developing and implementing strategies and activities, and providing and evaluating nursing services to ensure that outcomes are achieved. Some positions in this class, upon completion of special training, function in a specialized sub-field of public health.
Essential Job Functions
- Identifies the health problems of an assigned geographical area or target population by monitoring the health problems of patients in clinics, homes, and the community; evaluates identified problems; and provides nursing services or recommends the provision of appropriate health services such as primary care or environmental health or social services involvement.
- Identifies adverse findings during initial assessments and takes appropriate actions in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Documents information during initial and ongoing assessments in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Prioritizes assignments in accordance with program manual guidelines and standards and community public health needs.
- Manages a caseload of patients or consults on patients within an assigned geographical area by determining priorities for the follow-up of patients' physical and mental health problems and patient and family health needs that may require home evaluations, nursing care, and other services.
- Performs and interprets diagnostic procedures and administers therapeutic treatments and preventive measures in accordance with medical orders or standardized procedures.
- As directed by supervisor, conducts investigations, makes nursing diagnoses, and makes responses in connection with the health problems of a geographic area or target population; assists in setting priorities for public health nursing action based on public health program goals and improvement objectives related to community and system-level interventions.
- Collaborates with patients and providers to identify needs and desired outcomes based on patients' value and belief systems and documents these findings in accordance with applicable policies and guidelines.
- Researches and reviews current trends and practices in the field of public health in order to identify appropriate nursing interventions.
- Identifies, interprets, and implements public health laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Leads and participates in group discussions with patients and stakeholders on matters concerned with the health status of the population.
- Participates in epidemiological investigations to identify and locate persons who have, or are suspected of having, infectious diseases in order to encourage and ensure their treatment; counsels involved persons on examination and treatment needed to prevent further spread of the disease and treat the existing condition.
- Provides public health education and training to various groups through public speaking, multimedia presentations, and written materials to explain the function of public health and its roles and services in order to improve individual, family, and community health outcomes and encourage community members to become more responsible for the community's health.
- Promotes collaboration and dialogue between the agency and community-based organizations in order to identify public health needs within the community.
- Involves the population of interest and other health professionals, organizations, and stakeholders in formulating expected public health outcomes.
- Integrates and applies current standards and emerging trends, statutes, regulations, policies, and research in nursing and public health-related fields during the planning process.
- Leads and participates in group discussions with other health professionals and community members in order to provide guidance and support toward improving the health status of the community.
- Participates in systematic and ongoing criterion-based evaluations of expected goals and outcomes concerning the population of interest.
- Participates in public health emergency response as needed.
- Orients and instructs new staff concerning agency policies, procedures, and practices.
- Collaborates with community groups to implement new policies and changes to existing policies designed to improve public health outcomes.
- Provides technical supervision to lower-level nursing employees and ancillary staff, as assigned.
Requirements Meet the following experience and license requirements at the time of filing in order to move forward in the exam process.
A license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing-AND-
A California Public Health Nurse Certificate. REQUIRED LICENSES*:
- A license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing. To qualify, applicants must have a current and valid license as a Professional Registered Nurse, issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing, without limitations or restrictions.
- A California State Public Health Nurse Certificate. To qualify, applicants must have a California State Public Health Nurse Certificate. For information on how to obtain a California State Public Health Nurse Certificate, click on the link: http://www.rn.ca.gov/applicants/ad-pract.shtml
- A valid California Class C Driver License is required to carry out job-related essential functions. All positions in this classification, depending upon assignment, require possession of a valid California Class C Driver License to perform job-related essential functions. Candidates offered these positions would be required to show proof of a current valid driver license before appointment.
- A current certification in accordance with the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) program. All positions in this classification require possession of a current certification in accordance with the American Heart Association's BLS for CPR & AED program to perform job-related essential functions. Candidates offered these positions would be required to show proof of a current certification before appointment.
3 - Moderate:
Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATION:
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
- A Master's** degree from an accredited college or university in Nursing, Public Health, or Administration (MSN, MPA, MBA, MHA, MHS, MPH).
- Experience using computer programs in your past or current work assignments. (e.g., Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Visio and Publisher.)
- Experience using Specific Surveillance and Electronic Health Record (eHR) Systems in your past or current work assignments. (e.g., CAIR, Casewatch, vCMR, TRIMS, CMaP, CMS Net and eHR.)
- Experience as a Registered Nurse in a hospital, skilled nursing facilities or related health facilities.
- Experience representing a group of health professionals, work unit, or employer to outside agencies/ departments.
- Experience coaching nurses/students on working with the public or other customers.
*Please ensure the License and Certificate Section of the application is completed for the Registered Nurse License and Public Health Nurse Certificate. Provide the title of your required license and certifications, number, date of issue, date of expiration and the name of the issuing agency as specified in the Selection Requirements on your application at the time of filing or e-mail the information to email@example.com
within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing.
Applicants must attach a legible photocopy of their BLS certification and valid California Class C Driver License to their application at the time of filing or e-mail the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing.
**In order to receive credit, you MUST include a legible copy of the official diploma, official transcripts, official letter signed by the Director of the Registrar, or an evaluation report of a transcript with your application or within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission to email@example.com
. Official diploma or official transcript, of official letter are defined as transcript or letter that bears the college seal and states "official and/or copy" issued by the school Registrar Office. A printout of the transcript from the school's website is NOT considered official and will not be accepted which may result in your application being rejected. Note: Foreign studies MUST be evaluated by an accredited credential evaluation agency and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from the United States. An evaluation report of a transcript is defined as a report issued by an academic credential evaluation agency recognized by the NACES or the AICE of the United States.
Additional Information Our Assessment Process:
This examination will consist of an Evaluation of Training and Experience based upon application, desirable qualifications and supplemental questionnaire weighted 100%.Applicants must meet the requirements listed above and achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be added to the hiring list (Eligible Register) for consideration of employment.
Passing this examination and being added to the Eligible Register does not guarantee an offer of employment.
For the foreseeable future, all notices including invitation letters, result letters and notices of non-acceptance will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that you provide a valid email address. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org
to your email address book and list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as spam/junk/clutter mail. Please note, if you opt out of receiving emails, you can visit governmentjobs.com, log into your profile and check your inbox. The inbox retains a copy of all emails sent, for your records.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be placed on the Eligible Register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.
Applications will be processed on an as received basis and promulgated to the Eligible Register accordingly.VACANCY INFORMATION:
The Eligible Register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Public Health as they occur.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
AnyWhat to expect next:
Fair Chance Employer:
- We ask that you submit an application through the "Apply" link at the top of the opportunity posting using your own user ID and password (using a family member or friend's user ID may erase a candidate's original application record). Applications must be filed online only. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
- Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and those receiving a passing score the assessment will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
- The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months from the date of promulgation.
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction
history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individual
assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed.
Have any questions about anything? Please contact us using the following information:
ADA Coordinator Phone: (323) 914-8488
Teletype Phone: (213) 974-0911
California Relay Services Phone: (800) 735-2922
Department Contact Name: Exam Analyst
Department Contact Phone: (323) 914-8488
Department Contact E-mail: email@example.com