Description Interested in making a difference in the community? The Vallejo Police Department is seeking highly motived individuals who can demonstratesound judgment, have superior decision-making skills, andwho are eager to participate in a high level of community collaboration, strategic partnerships, and progressive problem solving. THE POSITION This recruitment is a continuous recruitment and will be closed when a viable candidate pool has been identified.
Employees in this trainee-level, non-safety
assignment, will be completing a POST certified Basic Police Academy (POST Academy), or those who are currently enrolled in an academy, and as such are considered temporary, at-will employees serving at the pleasure of the hiring authority. Assignment to this classification is limited to a maximum of one year. A Police Officer (Recruit) who fails to successfully complete the academy will be terminated.YOUR IMPACT
- Provide quality service to the citizens of Vallejo using modern 21stCentury Policing methods in the department's mission to reduce crime.
- Make a difference in the community with a progressive, forward-thinking organization in an environment that embraces diversity, creativity, and respect.
The Police Officer (Recruit) will undergo a polygraph examination, thorough background investigation, psychological assessment, medical examination, and drug tests prior to attending a POST Basic Police Academy of the City's choosing. Attendanceat the academy is at the City's expense. Upon successful completion of a POST Academy, the Police Officer (Recruit) is sworn in as a peace officer in the Police Officer (Entry) class and begins an 18-month probationary period.YOUR TEAM
The Vallejo Police Department's mission is to provide professional law enforcement services that enhance, protect, and promote the quality of life for persons residing, visiting, or doing business in the City of Vallejo.
As an integral part of the community the Vallejo Police Department is committed to providing a highly professional, ethical and quality Police service. The proud men and women of the Department are dedicated to maintaining law and order by proactively addressing crime, protecting welfare, property, and the rights of all people. In partnership with the community, community groups and other city departments, the Vallejo Police Department continually endeavors to improve its service, making Vallejo a safe place to live, work and visit.
For more information about the Vallejo Police Department, please visit theirwebpage
. ABOUT VALLEJO
The City of Vallejo is located in Solano County and has a population of approximately 121,000 residents. Vallejo is a rapidly changing, highly diverse community located midway between the cities of San Francisco and Sacramento. It is a friendly, active waterfront community that attracts innovative, hardworking people and takes great pride in its 148-year history and maritime heritage. Residents of Vallejo are situated to take advantage of the best of what the area has to offer. Golf, museums, performing arts, boutique shopping,brewpubsand a wide selection of restaurants are all available in Vallejo. Residents and visitors alike enjoy Vallejo's delightful historical downtown area, weekly downtown farmer's market, and beautifully restored Victorian homes and business facades. Vallejo is also home to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, one of America's only combination wildlife,oceanariumand theme parks.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
This class is distinguished from the Police Officer (Entry) class in that it is the trainee-level, having not yet successfully completed the POST Basic Police Academy; whereas the Police Officer (Entry) is the entry level, having completed the academy and is the first safety class within the Police Officer series. This class is further distinguished from the Police Officer (Lateral) in that the latter is the full working level class in the series.SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives direct supervision from POST Academy staff and Vallejo Police Department supervisory and management staffExamples of Duties
-Important responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
In addition to attending the POST Basic Police Academy to gain training and proficiency in law enforcement terminology, concepts, and techniques, and to gain the requisite knowledge to be eligible to perform the duties of a sworn peace officer, candidates may perform the following duties as assigned:
Typical Qualifications Knowledge :
- Ride with officers to observe and learn peace officer responsibilities and techniques.
- Operate police information equipment, including computer systems, teletypes and telephones to enter and research information at the direction of an Officer or police civilian.
- Assist in processing, packaging, labeling, storing and destroying property and evidence; may provide assistance with photocopies, files, indexes and locating police records and related paperwork.
- Perform errands for the department such as transporting information and paperwork to court and district attorney offices; perform related duties as assigned.
- Basic English grammar, composition, spelling and punctuation;
- Basic mathematics;
- Effective communication and public speaking;
- Effective problem solving techniques;
- Basic law enforcement terminology and concepts;
- Basic computer operating systems and software applications related to the work.
Minimum Experience and Training Guidelines
- Successfully complete the POST Basic Police Academy;
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Learn, understand and interpret laws and regulations;
- Learn to implement and enforce laws, policies, regulations, guidelines and orders concerning the protection of life, property and the maintenance of law, order and peace with a 21st Century Community Policing mind-set;
- Observe and accurately recall names, faces, numbers, incidents and places;
- Think and act quickly in emergency situations;
- Analyze situations and adopt effective courses of action;
- Exercise sound judgment, often under pressure;
- Understand and carry out written and oral directions;
- Write at a fast rate of speed to prepare accurate and factual written reports;
- Perform basic math computations;
- Safely operate motor vehicles;
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with co-workers, supervisors, public officials and representative of other agencies;
- Utilize computers and computer software, as required;
- Learn to meet the minimum standards of use with department-issued or approved lethal and non-lethal weapons;
- Perform in specialized assignments as required.
- A High School diploma, GED, or equivalent in addition to the completion of 39 semester / 58.5 quarter units from an accredited college or university.
Substitution: The 39 semester unit / 58.5 quarter unit requirement may be substituted with at least 3 years of active duty service in any branch of the U.S. military and an honorable discharge.
Supplemental Information The Recruitment & Selection Process In order to be considered for the position, you must complete and submit the following:
- Possession of a valid California driver's license
- Be 20 years old at the time of appointment, and at least 21 years of age upon POST Academy graduation
- Vision correctable to 20/20 in both eyes with normal color vision
- Must be eligible for U.S. citizenship upon academy graduation
- No felony convictions
- No misdemeanor convictions which mandate weapons prohibitions
Failure to attach the required documents will result in disqualification.
1. Completed City of Vallejo application
2. Completed Supplemental/Personal History Questionnaire
3. A transcript of college units completed
4. If you have completed a POST Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLET-B) and received a T-Score of 45 or higher or
have completed the Work Sample Test Battery (WSTB) and received a score of 320 or higher or
you have completed a National Testing Network Law Enforcement exam, you may submit that score at the time of application.
* A resume cannot be substitutedfor any portion of the application process (i.e., the official applicationand responses to the supplemental questions). NOTE:
If you have problems creating a user account, obtaining your already created account information, or submitting your online application, please contact governmentjobs.com applicant support directly at 855-524-5627. City of Vallejo staff are unable to assist with these issues.
Applications are accepted and reviewed in conjunction with Police Academy admission cycles that occur three times per year. The application deadline to be included in the selection process for Police Officer (Recruit) can be found at the top of this job bulletin. Applicant Screening and Assessment:
Applicationscreening will be conducted to evaluate each candidates' supplemental/personal history questionnaire responses, educational course work, training, experience, knowledge, and abilities that relate to this position that mayinclude but are not limited to:
- Education, GPA of 2.0 or higher
- College enrollment
- Academy enrollment or possession of a POST Basic Academy Certificate
- Valid California driver license
- Criminal history
Individuals who are found to be the most qualified will be invited to participate in an oral panel interview.Oral Panel Interview
Oral panel interviews are weighted at 100% of a candidates score. Those whom have scored the highest will be placed on the register of eligibles and referred to the department for further consideration.Background Investigation
The most qualified candidates will be provided a conditional offer letter and invited to move forward in the selection process to a background investigation in accordance with applicable law, regulation and/or policy. Candidates will be required to complete and submit a State of California Personal History Statement (POST Form 2-251 Rev. 02/2013). The information that you provide in the Personal History Statement will be used in the background investigation to assist in determining your suitability for the position of Police Officer (Recruit), in accordance with POST Commission Regulation 1953. Background investigations will also include live scan fingerprinting, and polygraph examination.
Those candidates who pass the background investigation portion of the selection process maybe invited to a Chief's interview. Based on a candidates suitability as determined by the background investigation and Chief's interview,a pre-placement psychological and medical examination would be the next step in the selection process. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
The City of Vallejo is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application or selection process may contact Human Resources Department. Please contact April Adamsat (707)648-4398 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org Disaster Service Workers
All City of Vallejo ("City") employees are designated Disaster Service Workers ("DSW") through state law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the City requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all DSW- related training as assigned and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency. Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE
) - The City of Vallejo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the City of Vallejo to provide equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, or denial of medical and family care leave, or any other non-job-related factors.
Note: The provisions in this bulletin do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.