The PositionThereis an additional 3.35% Management Differential which is added to the posted salary for this class.This is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:5/13/20, 6/10/20, *7/3/20* (Final cut-off)
Under direction, the Principal Building Inspector plans, coordinates, and directs the day-to-day-operation of a major section within the Building Inspection Division to ensure compliance with laws, ordinances, codes, plans, and specifications. Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of:
- Uniform Model Codes and County and State laws and regulations pertaining to the construction, alteration, and demolition of buildings and structures and signs.
- Sacramento County Zoning and Land Use Ordinance.
- Weed and Public Nuisance Abatement regulations and procedures.
- Industrial Safety Regulations.
- Building construction materials, methods, and practices.
- Strength and mechanics of materials.
- Building construction trades and the stages of construction when possible violations and defects may most easily be inspected and corrected.
- Legal problems and procedures involved in the interpretation and enforcement of codes.
- Principles and techniques of human resource management and supervision.
- Training methods and techniques.
- Principles and techniques of effective public and interpersonal relations.
Employment QualificationsMinimum QualificationsEither:
- Plan, supervise, train and monitor the work of support staff engaged in a variety of code inspection activities.
- Read and interpret plans, specifications, and blueprints of major construction project.
- Read, interpret, and enforce codes and regulations of various governmental agencies and apply knowledge to varied and complex situations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with architects, builders, contractors, suppliers, other public officials, employees, and the general public, particularly in situations that might involve adversary positions.
- Prepare draft ordinances for approval by the Board of Supervisors and prepare complaints for legal action.
- Prepare and present clear and concise written and oral reports.
- Read, write, and speak English at a level necessary for satisfactory job.
1. Two (2) years of supervisory experience in a building code inspection program performing duties which include planning, performing, assigning, supervising, training, and reviewing the work of either field building inspectors, or plan review staff engaged in inspection or plan review services for a residential and/or commercial building code inspection program.Or:
2. Two (2) years of supervisory experience working directly in the building construction trades performing duties which include supervising, training, and reviewing the work of journey level construction trades staff.And
Three (3) years of experience as a building inspector in a building code inspection program.
Education substitution: A degree or certificate of completion from an accredited college or university in inspection technology, inspection management, construction management, or construction supervision may substitute for one (1)year of the required general experience as a building inspector in a building code inspection program.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.General Requirements:
Driver's License: Possession of a valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, is required prior to appointment. Failure to maintain a valid California Driver License, Class C or higher may constitute cause for termination from the class in accordance with Civil Service Rules 11.4. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- The ability to use a ladder with a maximum weight capacity of 300 pounds.
- The ability to perform a variety of physical tasks in inclement weather and in a variety of difficult locations and conditions such as under floor areas, inside attics, and in empty swimming pools.
- The ability to distinguish colors in order to differentiate electrical wires.
Work Schedule and Conditions:
- Incumbents are subject to emergency and on-call work in all kinds of weather, and under hazardous conditions at other than normal working hours.
- May be exposed to dangerous machinery.
Special Certificate or Course Requirements: All positions in this class will be required to complete one year of verifiable experience in the appropriate field and, within one year thereafter, to obtain certification from a recognized state, national, or international association, as determined by the County.
Any person currently and continuously employed by the County as an inspector, plans examiner or building official, for not less than two years prior to January 1, 1996, is exempt from the certification requirements as outlined above.
In addition, persons appointed to this class must complete a minimum of 45 hours of continuing education every three years. The County may determine appropriate providers of continuing education such as community colleges or organizations affiliated with building code inspection.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification istwelve(12)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail
EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 7/3/2020 5:00 PM Pacific