SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The starting salary will be between $3,748.00/month to $5,264.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/hr/benefits/index.html
ABOUT CAL STATE EAST BAY:
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Equipment Technician participates in the testing, maintenance, and repair of biology and chemistry equipment used in classes and for research as needed or instructed by supervisor.
* Maintains, tests and repairs various equipment, including but not limited to: microscopes, centrifuges, balances, autoclaves, glassware washers, aquaria, distillation apparatus, water filtration systems, freezers and refrigerators, bio safety cabinets, laminar flow hoods, incubators, etc.
* Services, adjusts and calibrates mechanical, optical, electronic and other equipment used in teaching and research laboratories.
* Analyzes problems with equipment to determine what repairs are required.
* Interfaces with Facilities personnel and outside contractors to facilitate the installation, relocation, service and repair of equipment as necessary.
* Responsible for, or assists with, the installation and relocation of scientific equipment used in teaching and research laboratories as needed.
* Maintains a file of instruction manuals and a stock of commonly used spare parts and accessories.
* Effectively uses purchase card to order and expedite delivery of goods; prepares monthly purchase reports.
* Maintains up-to-date records of all University property that resides with the Department, and works directly with Property Management to conduct an annual asset inventory.
* Aids Biology Department students, faculty and staff with equipment usage in teaching and research laboratories as needed.
* Develops and maintains inventory for expendable supplies, instruments, equipment, and shared equipment.
* Receives and distributes incoming materials; reviews and approves invoices upon receipt of goods and/or services.
* Assists faculty and staff with assessing electrical needs of equipment and determines suitable space to house such equipment as needed.
* Disposes of obsolete items as instructed by supervisor, interacting directly with the Receiving Department and the Property Management.
* Maintains up-to-date knowledge base regarding advances in Biological Sciences and Chemistry instrumentation.
* Ability to lift 50 lbs.
* Ability to use dollies, hand trucks and jacks to move heavy equipment.
Equivalent to two years of journey-level or skilled experience in the maintenance, repair, and operation of scientific or technical equipment in the specialty area to which assigned such as mechanical, electromechanical, electronics or in the specialized category including construction and fabrication and some precision work or requiring trade or craft skills working with a variety of unique materials.
Equivalent to two years of semi-skilled experience maintaining and repairing scientific or technical equipment or related experience in the type of equipment to which assigned as part of instructional support activities may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
Equivalent to two years of trade school or technical arts training with specialization in the type of equipment repair to which assigned, completion of an apprenticeship program, or completion of a full military specialization in the required type of equipment maintenance and repair for one year of the required experience.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
* Experience working in an educational or scientific industry environment.
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent to graduation from a four-year college/university.
* Thorough knowledge of methods, materials, tools and equipment used in construction, installation, maintenance, repair and operation of equipment in the areas of biological sciences and chemistry.
* Ability to perform complex troubleshooting.
* Ability to design, fabricate, modify, and repair technical biological sciences and chemistry equipment following original or suggested plans.
* Ability to analyze equipment problems and determine what repairs are needed.
* Ability to install, place, and maintain a wide variety of biological sciences and chemistry equipment.
* Ability to read and write as appropriate to the duties of the position.
* Ability to make arithmetic computations where required.
HOW TO APPLY:
In addition to the standard Cal State East Bay application, please submit a:
1. Cover letter
3. List of three (3) or more professional references
Resumes alone will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
To apply on-line, please go to www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via automatic email reply regarding their application materials. In addition, all applicants who were not selected will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process. Please be patient as this process may take several weeks.
CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
Satisfactory completion of a background check that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled