Director of Academic Budget Management
This position is an Administrator II in the California State University Management Personnel Plan (MPP), reporting to the Vice Provost.
SF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State's policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX Coordinator and Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing email@example.com.
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Monday to Friday; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Anticipated Hiring Range*
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is responsible for coordinating and managing all business-related operations for Academic Affairs, including developing, implementing, and monitoring best practices for the Division. Furthermore, the incumbent will provide oversight in preparing and submitting the Academic Affairs budget to the university. In addition, the position is responsible for coordinating the monitoring and reconciliation of all AA budget allocations to units. This includes periodic analysis of budget performance.
Another important function of this position is the responsibility for support of faculty recruitment and relocation of new faculty members. This entails coordination with academic departments in the recruitment process and funding, work with faculty members and moving companies and the funding transactions necessary to complete the payment for such moving expenses.
The incumbent must possess a thorough knowledge of campus financial transactions and analysis along with the ability to manage and comprehend complex, large-scale budget activities and planning. The incumbent must demonstrate leadership in budget activities, and have the skills and abilities to work independently and proactively to clarify issues, solve problems, establish relationships, train and mentor staff and perform as a team member in a positive effort to advance the work of Academic Affairs and provide support to the Vice Provost and Provost. This position will report directly to the Vice- Provost. Performs regular data analysis reports and provides recommendations to the Vice Provost and Provost for potential enhancements to business practices on an ongoing basis.
- Under the direction of the Vice-Provost for Academic Resources and Planning, the Director of Academic Budget Management is responsible for implementing fiscal policy, developing allocations in accordance with established policies, and managing the budget procedures and expenditure profiles of the colleges and academic support units.
- The incumbent analyzes comparative allocation and expenditure patterns within the Division of Academic Affairs and develops allocation proposals and strategies for the instructional budget;
- Works closely with the Vice Provost in defending the annual budget for the Division and prepares a variety of special analyses in support of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs;
- Communicates budget information to deans, associate vice presidents, and directors, and resolves budget problems with units;
- Provides guidance to college business officers of academic resources and other financial managers to ensure consistency within the academic area;
- Serves as the representative of Academic Affairs to various campus budget committees and working groups;
- Provides leadership and project management support when centrally-directed implementation of administrative procedures is required;
- Assumes major responsibility for ensuring year-end solvency and the appropriate commitment of funds;
- Monitors expenditures, makes projections and initiates action in concert with managers to correct budget problems;
- Serves as the budget planner and advisor for the central offices within the Division;
- Supervises three analysts with budget and finance responsibilities; and
- Work with hiring committee chairs and academic departments to establish and maintain procedures related to faculty recruitment travel and accommodations.
- Work with new faculty members to procure movers and offer guidance with household relocation to the Bay Area
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, economics or finance from a 4-year university and significant professional work experience with increasing responsibilities in an academic environment;
- A comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the principles of management and budgeting as applied within an organization of higher education.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships.
- Thorough knowledge of research techniques, including the planning of studies and investigations.
- Ability to develop techniques for handling a large variety of detailed data and the ability to analyze these data.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of personnel
- Ability to communicate well in written and verbal forms including the ability to conduct group meetings/workshops.
- Ability to negotiate with vendors in order to assist new faculty with relocation issues
- High degree of MS Excel experience
- Knowledge of and ability to understand PeopleSoft products for the Human Resources Management System (HRMS) and Common Financial System (CFS), including the CFS Data Warehouse.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of CSU and SFSU policies and procedures and the ability to maintain compliance with same
- Must possess a willingness and ability to comply with all CSU policies and procedures
- Working knowledge of the CSU system and its role in the California higher education system.
Bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, economics or finance. Graduate level degree in business administration or a related field is desired.
This position requires the successful completion of a background check.
Eligibility to Work*
Applicants must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire.
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employees.
How To Apply
Apply Page Link for our Website: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=o2JHbfwn&s=Employer_Website
Another Source Search Firm contact information:
Tel: 619 684 9790
This position is open until filled.
Please note that this position, position requirements, application deadline and/or any other component of this position is subject to change or cancellation at any time.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
San Francisco, California