Recruitment Number VA1284
Posting Period Open Until Filled (Review of Applications will begin 02/03/20. Applications received after that date may be considered.)
On Campus Only No
Working Title NURSE PRACTITIONER (Nurse Practitioner)
Class Title NURSE PRACTITIONER
Salary Range (From $ to $) $5,690 - $10,979 per month / $68,280 - $131,748 annually (New employees should anticipate being hired at the beginning of the salary range)
Department Student Health Services
Number of Positions 1
FLSA Code Exempt
Status Regular: Permanent (after one-year probationary period)
Pay Plan 12/12
CBU/MOU R02 - CSUEU Health Care Support
Quick Link http://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/6039
Hours Per Day 8 hours during the school year / 10 hours during the summer
Days Per Week 5 days during the school year / 4 days during the summer
Under general administrative and medical direction of the Lead Physician, and using established standardized procedures and processes, incumbent provides a wide range of primary healthcare services including assessment, diagnostic, preventative and health maintenance services to eligible students and regularly provide health education and participate in health promotion activities. Typical responsibilities include; conducting physical examinations; diagnosing, treating, and managing illnesses and injuries; ordering tests and interpreting the results; and counseling patients on preventive care. This position will have a focus in the acute care clinic.
For a full description of job duties, please visit: https://csuchico.box.com/v/VA1284-Position-Description
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Incumbent must possess:
• Comprehensive knowledge of advanced nursing and primary care principles, methods and procedures.
• Thorough knowledge of:
• Medical theories, practices and protocols relative to the scope of practice.
• Subject areas such as growth and development, pathophysiology, psychosocial assessment, pharmacology, nutrition, disease management, and the principles of health maintenance.
• Applicable state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to practice as a Nurse Practitioner.
• General knowledge of effective supervisory principles and practices, if assigned lead work direction.
Incumbent must possess:
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Effective interpersonal skills to establish and maintain relationships and work with a diverse community of students, staff and faculty, including those sensitive in nature.
• Computer skills to work with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, Internet, online calendaring, e-mail and electronic medical records.
• Effective organizational skills.
• Skilled with operation of standard office machines, such as copiers, scanners, phones, etc.
Must have the ability to:
• Work independently in assigned areas of practice established by the supervising physician.
• Demonstrate clinical competence in eliciting patient histories, conducting examinations, diagnosing and treating acute and chronic illnesses and injuries.
• Assess patient needs and making appropriate referrals.
• Use clinical techniques and diagnostic tools.
• Interpret laboratory and other test results.
• Analyze urgent and/or emergency situations and take prompt action, including stabilization and referral, as necessary.
• Keep current with developments in the medical field pertinent to the incumbent's scope of practice.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other health center staff.
• Be sensitive to and communicate effectively with diverse patients responding appropriately to sensitive situations conflicts and/or problems.
• If assigned, provide lead work direction to specified health center support staff.
• Performed duties as assigned.
Required Education and/or Experience
Nurse Practitioners must possess an academic degree or certificate from an approved college or university-based Nurse Practitioner program or equivalent training and experience as outlined by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN).
Incumbents must be clinically competent in a medical specialty such as; family practice, internal medicine, women's health, or primary care and must possess sufficient experience to independently perform the duties of a Nurse Practitioner within that specialty.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATIONS: Possess (or ability to obtain by date of hire) and maintain the following:
• Valid and current California license as a Registered Nurse and a BRN certificate evidencing that the individual is qualified to use the title of Nurse Practitioner, as required by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
• Valid and current BRN Furnishing certificate.
• Valid and current Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) number and certificate.
Recruitment Preferences Preference may be given to applicants with the following as they may be considered specialized skills:
• Certificate from an approved college or university-based Nurse Practitioner program.
• Valid and current Advanced Practice Nurse National certification (ANA, ANCC, or AANP).
• California State University, Chico, in accordance with CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a background check (including a criminal records check, sexual offender registry check and/or fingerprinting) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive. This position is considered a sensitive position based on CSU guidelines. Incumbent is responsible for the safety and security of Level 1 data, sometimes also referred to as Level 1 protected data. This is confidential information that is in most cases protected by statutes, regulations, or other legal mandates.
• The person holding this position is considered a "General Mandated Reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 (revised July 21, 2017) as a condition of employment.
• Adhere and comply to Family Educational Rights Privacy Act (FERPA) and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines and regulations.
Incumbent/applicant will need to be able to perform the essential job functions (duties) of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. This position is required to stand or walk for approximately six hours per shift. Keyboarding and mousing is required to operate computers. Light lifting is required to transport or use medical records, instruments and supplies. May be required to push or pull patients in wheelchairs. Must be able to travel across campus to other offices and buildings for meetings and events.
This position will work in the Student Health Center in offices and treatment rooms that are kept clean. The duties of this position involve direct, personal contact with patients. There may be exposure to infection, communicable diseases and contaminated material and radiation. Infectious material hazards involve regular exposure to disease-bearing specimens, body fluids, wastes and blood-borne pathogens. May be required to reposition patients and/or push or pull wheelchairs. May require occasional additional work hours. May be called back for disaster response or emergencies.
This position qualifies for benefits including tuition fee waiver (if eligible).
CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act (ACA) benefits is based on an appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
About the University and Community
Detailed information is available at https://www.csuchico.edu/about/. As a university that educates students of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds, we value a diverse faculty and staff. CSU, Chico welcomes applicants who are knowledgeable about and interested in working within a cross-cultural learning environment. We also welcome those who share a passion and commitment to the University's 6th Strategic Priority that focuses on sustainability, stewardship, and the environment - see http://www.csuchico.edu/sustainability/index.shtml.
California State University, Chico is committed to achieving excellence through diversity in the classroom and the workplace. It strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students, faculty, and staff.
The university is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
Open Date (posting open date) 01/17/2020
Close Date (posting close date)
Open Until Filled Yes
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled