SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The starting salary will be between $2,736.00/month to $3,843.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/hr/benefits/index.html
ABOUT CAL STATE EAST BAY:
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
To maintain the campus grounds in a way that provides a safe and aesthetically pleasing environment for the staff, faculty, and students.
Turf Area Maintenance
* Daily litter pick up
* Edging along sidewalks, around valve boxes, drains, and planting beds
* Trim mowing edges and around trees and other obstacles in lawn
* Hand trimming or weed whipping tall grass where inaccessible to mower
* Fertilizing of lawns
Shrub and Flower Bed Maintenance
* Daily litter pick up
* Weeding of flower and shrub beds
* Pruning shrubs and small trees
* Planting of annuals, perennials, and ornamental shrubs and small trees
Hardscape (Parking Lots/Roads/Walks/Stairs/Patio) Maintenance
* Daily litter pick up
* Sweeping & Blowing
* Pressure Washing concrete & hard surfaces
* Repairs to asphalt (potholes) and concrete grinding to repair trip hazards
Irrigation Systems Maintenance
* Power trimming grass from around sprinkler heads and valve boxes
* Repair/replace broken sprinkler heads or other small irrigation repairs
* Reporting any malfunctioning sprinkler heads to leads/irrigation technicians
* Placing portable sprinklers in dry spots and hand watering as instructed
Other Duties as Required
* Assist with In-House Landscape upgrades
* Reporting hazards or emergencies to manager
* May be called back in after hours for emergencies
* Nursery work - potting plants and maintaining nursery stock
* Landscaping - removal of old/dead plants
- adding new soil, amendments and wood chips
- shaping of terrain and planting material as instructed
* Thorough knowledge of general gardening and grounds maintenance methods.
* Ability to recognize the more common species of ornamental shrubs, trees and flowers grown in California.
* Read and write at a level appropriate to the position.
* Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions.
* Ability to communicate with other staff and share pertinent information as required.
* Ability to work in a team setting as well as individually.
One year of experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped areas or in general grounds maintenance work, or in related manual labor.
Some positions may require possession of a valid California driver's license.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
* More than five years of progressive experience in a grounds working function.
* High School Diploma or equivalent.
* Proficiency of English grammar, punctuation and spelling.
HOW TO APPLY:
In addition to the standard Cal State East Bay application, please submit a:
1. Cover letter
3. List of three (3) or more professional references
Resumes alone will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
To apply on-line, please go to www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via automatic email reply regarding their application materials. In addition, all applicants who were not selected will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process. Please be patient as this process may take several weeks.
CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
Satisfactory completion of a background check that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled