Cloud Infrastructure Administrator
SF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State's policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX Coordinator and Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Information Technology Services
This is a one year probationary position.
Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Anticipated Hiring Range*
$8,750.00 - $9,584.00 Per Month ($105,000.00 - $115,008.00 Annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience.
The incumbent, reporting to the Director of Systems Services and working under the directions and in close collaboration with the Infrastructure Lead Architect, serves as the expert-level primary hands-on administrator for the Private (VMware) and emerging Public Cloud infrastructure technologies. Incumbent¿s responsibilities encompass all phases of the services lifecycle from design to implementation and ongoing operations and support, and cover all of the IaaS/PaaS related compute/storage/network/security/automation areas.
Provide full life-cycle of the services for Private and Public Cloud Infrastructure:
- Secure and harden
- Operate and keep available
- Apply patches in order to remediate issues and security vulnerabilities
- Upgrade as necessary
- Monitor for health and uptime
- Ensure backup, restore, and Disaster Recovery
Provide support for Cloud Infrastructure customers and projects involving Cloud Infrastructure needs.
Work on troubleshooting of the complex problem that cross multiple areas and technology stacks.
Other duties as assigned.
To enter this classification, a basic foundation of knowledge and skills in operating systems programs, maintenance and systems administration features is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor¿s degree, preferably in computer science, mathematics, or related technical fields, or equivalent technical training and/or experience. Foundation knowledge and skills for the Operating Systems Analyst include a working knowledge of the assigned computer operating systems, systems analysis, and systems-level programming.
Incumbents at the expert level work almost completely independently on the most complex problems and work assignments. They possess an advanced and comprehensive knowledge of the technical specialty and working knowledge of related specialties and are able to apply this extensive expertise as a generalist or specialist. Experts are proactive and understand problems from a broad, interactive perspective and are able to develop solutions that combine information and ideas in new unprecedented ways. Incumbents at this level are capable of leading teams and implementation efforts for assigned projects using advanced communication and listening skills.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical field.
- Minimum of seven years in computer/technology-related fields with progressively increasing responsibilities.
- Minimum of five years of production experience with VMware vSphere server virtualization.
- Minimum of three years of experience in server administration in an enterprise Windows and/or Linux environment (with 300+ managed systems).
- Minimum of one year of experience in design, implementation and operations of the Public Cloud (AWS preferred).
Technical skills and expertise:
- In depth knowledge and solid hands-production experience with the VMware vSphere Enterprise.
- Hands on experience setting up, maintaining and upgrading VMware DRS, HA, vSAN, Enterprise multipath storage/network.
- Solid understanding and hands-on production experience with AWS and AWS tools and methodologies.
- Proficiency and production experience with one or more common scripting or programming languages. (BASH/Perl/Python/PowerShell/etc) to develop scripts for configuration management and automation.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code and desire to apply automation to all aspects of the Cloud Administration and operations.
- Working knowledge of Linux (RHEL or derivatives preferred) and its common components.
- Working knowledge of Windows Server (2012/2016) and Active Directory.
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP, network topologies, common networking and network security technologies, protocols and tools, such as subnets, VLAN¿s, firewalls, load balancers, SSL, SSH, PKI, NAT.
- Solid foundations of systems and network security and best practices.
- Passion to understand, learn, and dissect new technologies quickly on your own.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve multi-faceted technology problems.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a team and lead when needed
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain positive demeanor.
Nice to have certifications and specialized technical experience:
- VMware vSphere VCP-DCV certification
- AWS Associate or Processional certification
- RHEL and/or MCSE certification
- Experience with Clustering and High Availability solutions and technologies
- Experience with security vulnerability scanning and management
- Experience with Hybrid Cloud deployment
- Experience with Cloud migration
- Familiarity with Change Management and ITIL
Core Competencies - embody the following competencies:
- Bias toward collaboration and teamwork
- Effective communication skills
- Customer/Client Focus with an emphasis in problem solving and resolution
- Personal effectiveness and credibility as demonstrated by interpersonal and professional confidence
- Diversity and inclusion
Some work outside of business hours would be required to provide systems maintenance. The incumbent will be required to be available by cell phone and may be called after work hours to response to critical service outages.
This position requires the successful completion of a background check.
Eligibility to Work*
Applicants must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire.
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employees.
Eligible and qualified on-campus applicants, currently in bargaining units 2, 5, 7, and 9 are given hiring preference.
How To Apply
**THE ONLINE RECRUITMENT SYSTEM WILL ALLOW ONLY ONE FILE ATTACHMENT FOR EACH SUBMISSION**
Submit an online application and upload in one file attachment your resume, cover letter, describing your specific qualifications for each position AND three (3) professional references who can comment upon your education and/or job related experience.
SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
San Francisco, California