Tacoma Public Schools
This position, for temporary periods, plans, organizes and provides learning experiences for students, including providing each student with the knowledge, skills, values and attitudes to lead self-sufficient, well-adjusted, healthy, productive, socially responsible lives to the best of their individual potential.
Additional Information: If selected for the position of Emergency Substitute Teacher, the Tacoma Public Schools will initiate OSPI application for this limited certification.
1. Develops lesson plans and manages the learning experiences, curricular and extra-curricular to ensure the needs of the group and individual students are met.
2. Evaluates student performance and provides guidance which will promote the student's welfare, educational development, and citizenship.
3. Participates in the planning and evaluation of the school program(s) and the district's curriculum and program development.
4. Provides the maximum learning opportunities for each student.
5. Conducts parent conferences and a variety of other meetings with district staff, parents and students.
6. Effectively utilizes resources and services of the community and the district to enhance students' learning and teacher's effectiveness.
7. Maintains the necessary current records and reports and utilizes data to modify and improve program effectiveness.
8. Ensures that the students and district get maximum returns on all equipment, materials, supplies and utilities used under his/her direction.
9. Provides for and promotes the care and protection of students and school property.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
1. Attends staff meetings as called by the administrators.
2. Maintains files on latest curriculum guides.
3. Performs related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree with OSPI certification; or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge and skill in instructional principles, methods and techniques.
Skill in obtaining, clarifying and exchanging information.
Skill in classroom management.
Skill in handling student discipline.
Ability to organize and coordinate activities.
Ability to serve as role model and treat students as individuals in a professional manner.
Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people in a multi-cultural, diverse socio-economic setting.
Valid Washington State teaching certificate
Job Locator Number: D42-55
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Tacoma School District administration has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the primary functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
Tacoma Public Schools does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Coordinator: Lisa Nolan, 253-571-1252, firstname.lastname@example.org; Title IX Coordinator: James Neil, 253-571-1123, email@example.com; and 504 Coordinator: Elementary, Steven Mondragon ,firstname.lastname@example.org, 253-571-1173; Secondary, Jon Bell, email@example.com, 253-571-1225. Address: P.O. Box 1357, Tacoma, WA 98401 1357.
HRInfo@tacoma.k12.wa.us, (253) 571-1250