The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is committed to providing quality health services to Oklahoma citizens.The mission of the Department of Health is to promote, protect and improve the health of all Oklahomans through strategies that focus on preventing disease and injuries.
OSDH is seeking a full time Assistant Surveillance Officer providing support to Acute Disease Service. This is an unclassified position (PIN 34003547) in state government, located in Oklahoma City. OSDH offers a comprehensive Benefits Package
, including a generous benefit allowance to offset the cost of insurance premiums for employees and their eligible dependents . For more information about the benefit allowance [ click here
] . The annual salary for this position is up to $53,015.28 based on education and experience. Position Description:
This position will serve as the Assistant Surveillance Officer in the Acute Disease Service. This position assists in the development, coordination, and management of surveillance, investigation, control, and prevention activities. This position participates in and conducts notifiable disease surveillance, outbreak investigations, and epidemiologic studies. This position will utilize epidemiologic methods to control communicable diseases through: surveillance for infectious diseases; investigation of disease outbreaks; analysis of data to plan, implement and evaluate disease prevention and control measures; dissemination of pertinent information; education of healthcare professionals and the public; bioterrorism preparedness. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Participates in research activities, special investigations and descriptive and analytic studies relating to specific diseases; interprets results and adapts to epidemiology programs and related programs.
• Prepares technical reports and scientific articles and participates in grant writing activities.
• Designs and implements epidemiological studies and surveillance systems.
• Determines and utilizes appropriate statistical methods to evaluate and interpret data.
• Provides consultation to health care professionals, community organizations, and others on disease reporting.
• Review disease and laboratory reports submitted to the Acute Disease Service (ADS).
• Have knowledge of and recommend the appropriate laboratory test information on reported cases of disease investigated by the ADS.
• Communicate with laboratory personnel and health care providers to gather information about diseases or conditions under investigation by the ADS.
• Assist with entering disease and laboratory reports received by the ADS into the Public Health Investigation and Disease Detection of Oklahoma (PHIDDO) system as needed.
• Assign cases to CDD Epidemiologists or county health department staff for investigation and monitor the status of investigation for assigned cases.
• Assist the Surveillance Officer (SO) in reviewing case investigations to confirm required information is complete and assist in classifying cases.
• Assist the SO in reviewing surveillance data for quality assurance.
• Assist the SO in providing summaries of surveillance data to fulfill data requests.
• Work with ADS staff in conducting outbreak investigations including the administration of questionnaires and entering collected data for epidemiologic studies.
• Lectures for various organizations on diseases, injuries, or conditions; prepares educational materials for public distribution.
• Interacts with the media and conveys information to the public.Education and Experience
Master's degree in Epidemiology.Valued Knowledge, skills and abilities
Knowledge of epidemiology methods, human biology, laboratory methods, environmental analyses interpretation, parasitology, toxicology, immunology and pathology; of medical terminology; of statistical analysis, biometry, and demography; of epidemiological or statistical software; of social and economic conditions; and of current epidemiological developments and techniques. Ability is required to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; to meet with the public and conduct public information programs; to write technical and non-technical information material; and to use a personal computer and applicable software.
Knowledge of environmental toxicology, intervention strategies, diagnostic laboratory methods, and medical microbiology. Ability is required to manipulate large databases.Special Requirements
Applicants should be able to meet the following: 30-minute response time upon contact to report for duty; travel out-of-town for outbreak investigations, with the ability to occasionally stay for one or more nights and work extended hours; submit documentation to verify that they are current on all recommended vaccinations such as influenza (annually) measles, rubella, pertussis, varicella (unless documents history of disease), or receive vaccinations, including influenza annually, to reduce the risk of illness form certain vaccine preventable diseases during investigations that require direct contact with individuals, including persons experiencing symptoms of illness. Physical Demands and Work Environment
Work is typically performed in an office setting with a climate controlled settings and exposure to moderate noise level. While performing the duties of the job, employee is required to talk, stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. This position requires long period of sitting and daily use of computer and phone. Applicants must be willing to perform all job-related travel associated with this position. NOTES REQUIREMENTS:
If education, certification or licensure is required to meet qualifications, applicants must provide documentation at the time of interview.
All applicants are subject to a background check and must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT WORKING AT THE OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH CLICK HERE Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted. Conclusion Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.
Closing Date/Time: 7/10/2020 11:59:00 PM