IntroductionA computer test is part of the selection process for this position.You may clickherefor further information regarding the Police Communications Dispatcher position andtesting process.Notifications will be emailed by Wednesday, 4/22/2020.
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See resume" in lieu of answering.
Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.About The Position
The Police Communications Dispatcher receives and dispatches calls from emergency (911) and non-emergency telephone lines from citizens or city staff requiring police response or information.Selection Process:
Applicants whose education, training and experiencemost closely meet the needs of this position may be invited to participate in aselection process to include testing and oral board interview.Final selection is contingent upon a background check which
- Criminal background screening
Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment drug test, pre-employment medical exam and psychological evaluation.The timeframe for reapplication with the Police Department varies based on the position and the needs of the organization.Minimum QualificationsEducation and Experience
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirement
- High school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Two years customer service or public contact experience.
- Obtain and maintain Level A Terminal Operator Certification (TOC) within six months of hire or promotion.
- Candidates for this position must successfully pass the CritiCall pre-employment test.
- Pass a one-year probationary period.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/service assignment. Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Answers incoming lines from citizens on emergency 911, or administrative telephone lines.
- Dispatches available units to handle crimes or issues. Operates radio and computer aided dispatch terminals to interact with and direct operation of field personnel. Monitors and maintains up to the moment computerized status screen of all police field personnel.
- Takes complete and accurate information and quickly disseminates information, both in typewritten and verbal form; copies down long sequences of numbers or addresses; may be required to keep detailed logs of work at a quick pace.
- Makes inquiries into computerized driver's license and motor vehicle information files as requested, following prescribed procedures and policies.
- Inputs vehicular data intoACICand NCIC; queriesACICand NCIC for wanted persons, vehicles and property.
- Assists with training of new dispatchers. Reviews and checks the trainee's work to ensure conformance to established standards. Keeps detailed daily records of trainee's progress.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Clickhereto review the entire job description.The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
- Must possess the ability to distinguish the full range of color spectrum.
- Sit for extended periods of time.
- Wear headset.
- Operate foot pedals or other adaptable controls on radio console.
- Carry light objects for short distances.
- Visual and muscular dexterity to operate communications equipment (computer-aided dispatch equipment, telephones and radios).
- Work overtime as required.
- Shift work including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays to maintain 24-hour coverage of the emergency dispatch system.
It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: 4/5/2020 11:59 PM Arizona