The PositionThis is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 6/24/20, 7/29/20, 8/26/20, 9/30/20, 10/28/20, 11/25/20, 12/30/20
A Public Health Microbiologist performs professional laboratory work for bacteriological, serological, parasitological, virological and mycological analysis of environmental samples, human and animal specimens for the detection and identification of infectious diseases.Note:Currently seeking intermittent on-call staff. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Principles, techniques, equipment and terminology used in a laboratory for making bacteriological, serological, mycological, virological, parasitological and chemical tests
- Laboratory hazards and proper safety precautions and procedures
- Quality control procedures
- Current trends and developments in public health microbiology
- Common causes and modes of transmission of infectious diseases
- Basic laws and regulations that apply to public health laboratories
Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications
- Perform with speed and accuracy laboratory diagnostic tests and examinations, and interpret test results
- Analyze laboratory problems accurately and take effective action
- Keep accurate records and prepare clear and concise reports
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with other agencies and co-workers
- Review and verify work of others
- Use hands to hold, shake, and twist laboratory equipment during analysis
- Distinguish visually color, shape, size and number
- Distinguish visually measurements as small as a millimeter and a milliliter
- Make visual examinations by microscope
Possession of a valid Public Health Microbiologist Certificate issued by the California State Department of Health.Note:
A copy of a valid Public Health Microbiologist Certificate issued by the California State Department of Health MUST be submitted with the application. Failure to submit proof of valid certificate will result in disqualification from the examination.Special Requirements
- Incumbents must be willing to work with infectious materials
- Persons considered for employment must not be at increased risk of acquiring infection or for whom infection may be unusually hazardous
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
www.saccountyjobs.netClosing Date/Time: Continuous