Salary: $78,748.80 - $146,536.00 Annually USD
Distinguishing Features of the Class
NOTE : Starting salary is $78,748.80 - $89,960 annually.
Provides professional legal representation for the City of Des Moines; works independently with minimal supervision; performs related work as required.
Acceptable Experience and Training
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Juris Doctorate degree; and
• A minimum of two years of practicing municipal law or litigation experience preferred.
Required Special Qualifications
• Candidates for positions in this class must pass a post-employment offer, physical examination and drug screen;
• Possession of a valid Iowa driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility; AND
• Admission to practice law in the State of Iowa at the time of closing date.
The City of Des Moines's Residency Requirement is in effect for this position. Applicant must be a resident of the City of Des Moines within seven (7) months of the appointment date and maintain residency within the City of Des Moines while employed in this position.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
• Performs professional legal work related to litigation including simple misdemeanor enforcement;
• Prepares cases for trial, examining law and evidence subject to review and assistance by a supervisor;
• Performs special projects for the City Attorney as requested;
• Represents City employees, boards and commissions;
• Represents the City before state and federal administrative agencies, boards and commissions;
• Performs professional legal work and review related to federal, state and municipal issues;
• Studies City, State, Federal and general municipal law for information and precedents having bearing onCity legal problems;
• Provides legal advice, opinions and training to City Staff, City Boards, Committees, Commissions and agencies, and attends meetings of those bodies;
• Researches, prepares and compiles proposed ordinances and resolutions and proposed amendments to existing ordinances;
• Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems;
• Attends meetings, conferences, workshops and training sessions and reviews publications and audiovisual materials to become and remain current on the principles, practices and new developments in assigned work areas;
• Responds to citizens' questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner;
• Performs other related duties consistent with the role and function of the classification.Closing Date/Time: 5/31/2020 5:00 PM Central
Des Moines, Iowa