SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary Range: $4,304.00/month to $6,120.00/month. PLEASE NOTE: The starting salary will be between $4,304.00/month to $5,212.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/hr/benefits/index.html
ABOUT CAL STATE EAST BAY:
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
The Office of Student Outreach provides comprehensive services to prospective students, current students, staff, faculty, and members of the community-at-large seeking University information or services concerning outreach, pre-admission advising, transfer credit evaluation and financial aid.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
This Pre-admission counselor position conducts a full range of enrollment services activities. Under the general supervision of the Director of Student Outreach, this position specializes in generating, cultivating, advising, converting, and yielding prospective students within a defined market territory as well as supporting efforts to meet the University's overall new student enrollment goals. Responsibilities include (but are not confined to) the following: conduct on- and off-campus pre-admission advising appointments regionally and in Southern California; organize and oversee on- and off-campus events; conduct advising and promotional visits to high schools and community colleges with corresponding reports of prospect generation and conversion from prospect to applicant, acceptance and enrollment from said schools; represent the University at college fairs/evening programs; conduct informational presentations on CSUEB, the CSU system, admissions, and financial aid; provide follow-up written, electronic and telephone communication to prospective students; build and sustain positive relationships with prospective students, their families, and high school & community college counselors by serving as the specific institutional resource/liaison for the territories that are this counselor's responsibility.
Please be advised that this position will be required to travel frequently to Southern California throughout the year on official University business.
Work to generate, cultivate, convert, and yield new student inquiries from within a defined market by providing outreach and recruitment services
* Oversee territory and conduct recruitment travel to high schools and community colleges statewide and represent the University at college fairs, counselor conferences, at other events, and in professional organizations
* Frequent visits will be made to select territories in Southern California, including but not limited to the regions of Pasadena, San Bernardino, Ontario, Riverside (Inland Empire), Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego counties
* Conduct market research and study CSUEB prospect and enrollment data to develop a plan of annual visits to high schools and community colleges, conduct pre-admission advising appointments on- and off-campus within specific territories, as well as to support colleagues assigned other territories as needed.
* Conduct periodic assessment/complete comparative reports of contacts generated from high schools and community colleges and their progress to applicants and assess acceptance of applicants and rates of enrollment from high schools and colleges in assigned territories
* Develop and sustain relationships with high schools and community colleges by being conversant in the University's academic and extracurricular opportunities, being data informed, and projecting a positive professional demeanor and appearance. Serve as resource for students, schools, and community based organizations within assigned territory and conduct ongoing communication (direct mail; electronic, telephone) with prospects, applicants, and admitted students within assigned territories and occasionally assisting in other territories as assigned
* Provide accurate, ethical, and up to date pre-admission and initial financial aid advising
* Exhibit cultural competency as well as sensitivity to those from diverse economic backgrounds
* Maintain familiarity with, and effective communicate CSUEB marketing messages and craft communications conforming to the University's message platform, Enrollment Services communication plans, and in keeping with the University communication style guide
* Regularly reference, retain, recall, and apply CSU and CSUEB recruitment & admissions policies & procedures
* Advise students and their family members on CSU admission requirements and eligibility, CSUEB's impaction --as appropriate, as well as general financial aid information by way of informational presentations on CSUEB, the CSU system, admissions, and financial aid
* Provide institutions within assigned territory needed/requested information as appropriate
* Follow through in timely manner on all requests for information/assistance
* Serve as a liaison between prospective students and admissions/financial aid personnel to ensure accurate and timely evaluation and communication
* Assist in developing innovative and effective methods to build relationships with students from your market territory, e.g. social media, as well as through electronic and print communication
* Report recruitment activities using a standard reporting form, file regular reports with the director regarding activities
* Track and report on visits, counseling appointments, events, and other activities
* Assist with Welcome Center duties on a regular basis including: Counselor of the Day rotations, daily information sessions to campus visitors, and pre-admission appointments hosted in the center
* Telecounsel prospective students, applicants, and admitted students at various points in the enrollment funnel
* Assist with departmental social media efforts
* Cross-train on fulfillment center duties, serving as back up in absence of fulfillment center coordinator
Provide general information and service for all Enrollment Services functions
* Respond to electronic and telephone inquiries in a timely fashion (e.g. 24 hours) and deliver service in the areas of pre-admission/recruitment, admissions, records and registration, graduation evaluation, and financial aid
* Provide information to prospective and current students needed to successfully academically meet admissions requirements, complete the admission & financial aid application processes, or progress as a CSUEB student
* Provide transcript evaluation service to prospective students to inform students of requirements for admission. Assist the Office of Admissions with coordinated transcript evaluation service
* Regularly and accurately reference and apply Enrollment Services policies and procedures
* When answering calls or responding to electronic inquiries to deliver exceptional & courteous service, transferring callers or forwarding emails to other ES specialists only as absolutely necessary
* Actively problem-solve and employ appropriate independent judgment in dealing with those inquiring
* Know, embrace, and effectively communicate the CSUEB marketing platform
* Communicate benefits of CSUEB education
* Participate in ongoing comprehensive cross-training efforts within the Enrollment Services Division
* Participate in the development of work teams within ES
Perform other duties and special projects as assigned
* Special projects or unanticipated needs may result in other duties being assigned
* Staff and complete tasks at on-campus events at the direction of the event coordinator
* Ability to quickly develop comprehensive knowledge about CSUEB and CSU/CSUEB enrollment requirements, policies, and procedures, as well as general knowledge about financial aid processes and procedures
* Ability to promote constructive dialog, and demonstrated effectiveness as a sympathetic listener
* Ability to carry-out complex assignments without detailed instructions
* Ability to interact professionally and effectively, individually or in group settings, with prospective students and their family members, school/college counselors, and colleagues
* Ability and willingness to work with diverse populations
* Ability to identify and analyze organizational and operating problems and implement appropriate responses.
* Strong organizational skills and ability to plan, coordinate, and initiate actions necessary to implement administrative or group decisions or recommendations
* Ability to work independently
* Ability to learn and use administrative database system(s), instant messaging, degree audit software, document imaging software, and MS Office applications
* Ability and willingness to understand, embrace, and communicate CSUEB marketing messages
* Must have a valid California Driver's License
* Ability and willingness to accommodate flexible work schedule that includes evenings and weekends
* Must be willing and able to complete frequent travel via car throughout California
* The crisp, professional appearance as well as demeanor essential to effectively serve the University as its representative to the public
* Availability for frequent travel to Southern California on official University business.
Equivalent of two years of professional experience in one of the student services program
areas or in a related field; experience should give evidence of competence and indicate the potential for further growth. A master's degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job-related field. Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
* Bilingual in Spanish
* 1 year of experience in a college/university setting in outreach and recruiting
* Experience with a CRM
* Experience with social media platforms
* Experience and demonstrated effectiveness in presenting to large groups, providing information on admissions, financial aid, CSUEB, and the CSU
HOW TO APPLY:
In addition to the standard Cal State East Bay application, please submit a:
1. Cover letter
3. List of three (3) or more professional references
Resumes alone will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
To apply on-line, please go to www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via automatic email reply regarding their application materials. In addition, all applicants who were not selected will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process. Please be patient as this process may take several weeks.
CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
Satisfactory completion of a background check that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled