This position is open until filled
Operates various types of heavy equipment used in the Transportation Division for the operation, maintenance, and construction of streets, drainage, and traffic infrastructure performs milling and paving of streets and roadways; repairs damaged sidewalks and curbs; patches potholes; and performs other related duties.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING
- Operates various types of heavy equipment including but not limited to dump trucks, water trucks, loaders, rollers, lay down machines, power brooms, milling machines, and street sweepers; utilizes jack hammers, chain saws, chippers, bucket trucks, and other power tools.
- Performs manual labor for street, drainage, and traffic maintenance, operation, and construction.
- Prepares streets and roadways for paving; hauls, processes, and compacts road materials.
- Performs milling and paving of streets.
- Repairs damaged sidewalks and curbs; patches pot holes in roadways.
- Cleans and sweeps City streets and/or Airport roads.
- Trims trees and/or shrubbery obstructing.
- Cleans all infrastructure in the right-of-way of debris.
- Installs and repairs street signs, traffic signs, and/or other types of signs for City departments.
- Utilizes computerized sign machine, silkscreen, pressure sensitive sheeting, and heat activated sheeting to construct street signs.
- Installs various types of pavement markings in streets, cross walks, turn lanes, parking zones, fire lanes, and handicap parking areas.
- Participates in installing traffic lights, temporary stops for intersections, and school zone lights.
- Provides traffic control for construction activities, emergencies, parades and various types of special events.
- Assists in the installation and maintenance of traffic signs, street striping, tower lights, and windsocks at the City's Airport
- Cuts and shapes up ditches.
- Assists with surveying work.
- Provides on-call assistance; responds to emergency situations as required.
- Assist other City departments as required. Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications)MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- This position works under general supervision.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDSCORE COMPETENCIES
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- One (1) year experience operating heavy equipment or performing street, drainage, or traffic maintenance work is required.
- Note: Any combination of related education, experience, certifications and licenses that will result in a candidate successfully performing the essential functions of the job will be considered.
- A Class A Commercial Driver's License is required within six (6) months of employment.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
- Must be able to read/comprehend routine maintenance documentation.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City departments/personnel and the general public.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical requirements include lifting up to 85 pounds occasionally. Subject to vision and hearing constantly; standing, walking, pushing/pulling, reaching, handling, balancing, talking and foot controls frequently; sitting, lifting, carrying, fine dexterity, kneeling, twisting and climbing occasionally; crouching, crawling and bending rarely.
Working conditions involve exposure to variable and/or extreme weather conditions, dust, dirt, heavy equipment, vehicle traffic, hot asphalt, hazardous chemicals/materials, and infectious diseases is involved. Utilizes personal protective equipment as required. Safety Sensitive Position.