About Our Job
The Denver Fire Department provides services to the citizens who live, work and visit the City and County of Denver providing code enforcement, fire suppression, emergency medical services, technical rescue, hazardous materials response, water and high angle rescue.
The Fire Department of the City and County of Denver is looking for a two Fire Protection Engineers. The Fire Protection Engineer will be responsible for a wide variety of activities, including (1) performing plan review for fire protection & life safety systems (2) reviewing construction design documents for new and existing buildings (3) conducting technical inspections of structures and occupancies and (4) acceptance testing of systems.
The Fire Protection Engineer is expected to possess the ability to apply a multi-disciplined engineering approach and knowledge of the International Fire and Building Codes and NFPA, ASME, ANSI, UL, NEC, etc., standards to support research, technical inspections, legal proceedings, provide advice and direction to professional engineers, architects, contractors, politicians, and other members of the general public, evaluate and generate technical reports, provide training for fire prevention staff and professional organizations, evaluate and propose alternative methods and materials, and perform plan review for new and existing buildings.
Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) is required at the time of application.
Job responsibilities include:
This position has extensive contact with other Fire personnel, and personnel from other city agencies, and members of the design and construction community, and requires a customer-service orientation.
The Fire Prevention Division is responsible for:
- Fire and Building Code enforcement
- NFPA Standards and Codes
- Public safety
- Research and testing of new materials and technologies
- Technical inspections and pre-fire planning
- Consultation with developers, architects, and design engineers as well as property owners and managers
- Comprehensive plan review for development, site infrastructure, building construction, installation of fire protection systems
- Review and permit fire alarm, suppression, and mechanical aspects of system shop drawings and specifications for compliance with performance requirements of published codes and standards. This includes fire suppression, detection and alarm systems, standpipe and smoke control systems, systems for high-piled storage, spray booths, hood and duct suppression, dust collection, conveyors, hazardous materials, fire pumps, water supplies, emergency and standby power systems and other engineered systems.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor's degree in Fire Protection, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or other directly related Engineering Fields and,
- Three years' experience as a Licensed Professional Engineer in the building design & construction industry (Fire Protection Engineering preferred).
- Credentials in structural analysis/evaluation.
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
About Everything Else
- Education: Bachelor's Degree with major course work in engineering or architecture.
- Experience: Two years of professional experience in fire protection and life safety evaluation, design, engineering, or installation.
- Licensure and/or Certification: Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) by the Colorado State Board of Professional Engineers.
- Registration for Professional Engineers is required at the time of application. Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) by another state will be accepted providing the applicant is registered by the State of Colorado by the completion of the probationary period. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.
- Possession of a valid driver's license at the time of application.
CE0409 Fire Protection Engineer
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$89,369.00 - $142,990.00
Denver Fire Department
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here