SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary Range: $4,304.00/month to $6,120.00/month. PLEASE NOTE: The starting salary will be between $4,304.00/month to $5,212.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/hr/benefits/index.html
ABOUT CAL STATE EAST BAY:
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
The Graduate Programs Office has overall responsibility for all graduate programs offered in the College of Business and Economics. The Graduate Programs Office is responsible for oversight and compliance of all graduate programs offered by the College of Business and Economics including the MBA with Concentrations in: Strategy and Innovation, Finance, Human Resources and Organization Behavior, Analytics for Managers, Marketing Management, Operations and Supply Chain Management, and General Business; the One Year Intensive MBA, the MBA for Global Innovators, the Masters in Economics program, the MS in Accountancy and the MSBA in Business Analytics program. The office provides direct administration of all programs including the One Year Intensive MBA program, the MBA for Global Innovators, and the MS in Accountancy, and CBE's other post baccalaureate programs.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The CBE's Graduate Associate Academic Advisor supports Cal State East Bay and the College of Business & Economics strategic plan by providing consistent, accurate, moderately complex, academic advising services to graduate students. Working under general supervision, the Associate Academic Advisor will provide advising focused on setting goals to facilitate students' success and degree completion in a timely manner. The position will collaborate with program coordinators, faculty, staff, and student assistants to address student needs through the development of strategies and communication materials.
This position is responsible for developing and establishing partnerships with internal and external departments as related to the office's services. This individual is also responsible for managing caseloads of yield management communication with new applicants. In addition, this position is responsible for operation of value added graduate student services such as workshops and seminars. This position must have a strong understanding of current technologies impacting enrollment and how to apply them to drive enrollment performance. This individual will use advising technology tools to develop enrollment reports to assist in enrollment planning and forecasting.
ACADEMIC ADVISING SERVICES
* Advise CBE graduate students on issues related to planning an academic schedule, choosing courses to meet students' graduation timeline goal.
* Responsible for a caseload of students (e.g., per program); monitoring and assessing students' progress; identifying current and potential challenges (e.g. adjustment to schedules, time management) and making appropriate referrals to campus resources.
* Promote the advisor-advisee relationship by effectively using the various tools of communication, including email, phone, face-to-face meetings, and electronic advising notes.
* Participate in developing and delivering workshops for students in their chosen degree programs, with a focus on preparing and reviewing students for graduation.
* Serve as an advisor to newly admitted graduate students and continuing students on major requirements and general university policies and procedures, including filing petitions and referring students to other campus resources.
* Provide academic advising to CBE graduate students on graduation, degree program and university requirements and other related policies and procedures.
* Complete final major and/or minor checks and process or assist with all other related forms or procedures.
* Keep accurate records and gathering information/data related to advising interactions.
* Utilize technology tools (i.e. PeopleSoft, Microsoft Office programs) to develop student success reports, tracking and proactive advising.
* Abide by all ethical, professional, and educational (i.e. FERPA) standards related to educational advising, and demonstrate sound professional judgment when making decisions related to students, CBE, CSUEB and related stakeholders.
* Inform students about alternatives, limitations and possible consequences of academic decisions (e.g. adding, dropping and withdrawing from courses, change of program, concentration and/or credit transfer).
* Educate students about course planning and registration processes, refer to available on and off-campus resources to meet individual needs including career and professional development.
ADMISSION, RECRUITING, AND PROSPECTIVE STUDENT ADVISING
* Determine admission eligibility, assess academic documents, review academic qualifications through transcripts, test scores, work verification, etc., and assist with application processes.
* Create and maintain applicant file for all programs.
* Review and maintain prospective student data, identify missing documents, and conduct follow-up.
* Nurture incomplete applications prospective students to encourage application completion.
* Prepare applicant files and student summary for GMAT/GRE waiver interviews, for Admissions Committee review.
* Conduct GMAT/GRE Waiver interview with Program Director, when needed.
* Respond to inquiries to office and promote attendance to program Information Sessions.
* Provide advising to prospective applicants.
* Maintain history and current daily admission data.
* Communicate admission decision with applicant; assist with appeals process, when needed.
* Set up initial Advising appointment to assist with course selection and schedule.
REGISTRATION, EVALUATIONS AND GRADUATION
* Actively participate in administering registration processes each term and finding ways to improve procedures.
* Determine graduation eligibility and complete final major and/or minor checks, assessing academic documents, assisting students in appropriate appeal processes, and advising on required requirements via one on one meetings, phone, email, and message communications.
* Collaborate to generate data for development of demand-driven graduate course schedules for all programs.
* Develop roadmaps for graduate programs and concentrations under direction of supervisor.
HANDLES VARIOUS MISCELLANEOUS OFFICE ACTIVITIES; OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
* Contributes to the overall success of the CBE Office of Graduate by performing other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
* Responsible for participating in on and off campus university events, such as New Student Orientation, Commencement, Graduate Fair, Pathways to Graduate School, Prospective Student Information Night, CBE Graduate Programs Fair, MBA Concentration Fair, Student Networking Events, and Value-Added Student Services Workshops and Seminars, which will require occasional evening and weekend work.
* Assist with responding to internal and external Graduate Programs survey requests (e.g., U.S. News, Business Week, Princeton Review, etc.)
* Proctor course waiver tests, as needed.
* Review CBE Graduate Programs promotional materials for updates in cooperation with external departments.
* Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
* Assist advisors, administrative support staff and student assistants, as needed.
* Attend department/college meetings. Also attends workshops and training sessions, and participates in conference calls and webinars, as necessary.
* Performs other duties of the office, as assigned.
SERVE AS CAMPUS RESOURCE
* Act as liaison for outside campus departments to provide evaluation and advising services directly to their student populations.
* Serve as liaison to student organizations associated with CBE.
* Actively participate and represent CBE at University and College events, during regular office hours and occasionally after hours or on weekends.
* Knowledge of student success and effective academic advising practices in higher education.
* Knowledge and familiarity with MBA and other CBE graduate programs.
* Ability to participate in outreach activities, including public speaking and presentations.
* Experience in determining courses of action and proper techniques to utilize while engaged with individuals in personal interactions of a sensitive nature.
* Excellent oral, written and organizational skills, excellent time management skills.
* Ability to respond quickly and accurately to requests from students, faculty, staff and external entities.
* Knowledge of CSUEB academic administrative processes and policies.
* Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with highly diverse faculty and staff.
* Ability to carry out a variety of professionally complex assignments without detailed instructions.
* Project management skills as needed to carry out the responsibilities outlined and coordinate multiple tasks and projects.
* Ability to respond independently, quickly and accurately, using high level of independent judgment and excellent written skills to provide analysis, reports, data and recommendations on special projects.
* Flexibility and willingness to respond to other duties as assigned.
Equivalent of two years of professional experience in one of the student services program
areas or in a related field; experience should give evidence of competence and indicate the potential for further growth. A master's degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job-related field. Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
* Excellent technical skills, such as expertise with a variety of university software systems, such as PeopleSoft, as well as database, website and spreadsheet programs. Proficiency in Salesforce and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools.
HOW TO APPLY:
In addition to the standard Cal State East Bay application, please submit a:
1. Cover letter
3. List of three (3) or more professional references
Resumes alone will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
To apply on-line, please go to www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via automatic email reply regarding their application materials. In addition, all applicants who were not selected will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process. Please be patient as this process may take several weeks.
CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
Satisfactory completion of a background check that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled