PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Director of Advancement Services reports to the Associate Vice President for Resources, Planning and Advancement Services and is responsible for supporting the University Advancement division including Development, Alumni Engagement, and Annual Programs. The Director of Advancement Services works proactively to improve the donor experience, increase efficiency, ensure best practices and reduce organizational risk. This includes providing leadership and oversight of Advancement Services operation including gift processing; database management, content, data integrity, prospect research and moves management; and other related functions. The Director supervises and provides motivation to a growing operations staff and should have a proven track record of effective management experiences. The Director is responsible for developing and overseeing the long and short-term planning and implementation of donor and development strategies in collaboration with development officers, academic leaders and campus leadership. The Director will anticipate needs and provide detailed targeted analytical services that influence and support fundraising strategies and priorities. Crucial components of the position are the ability to problem-solve in a fast-paced environment, collaborate often and build consensus.
% of Time
1. Leadership/Management 20 %
2. Strategic Planning 20 %
3. University/Community Partnership 10 %
4. Functional Oversight Management 50 %
LIST OF TASKS FOR EACH MAJOR RESPONSIBILITY:
Acts as a change champion. Provides clear direction. Leads courageously by addressing difficult issues. Supports and moves new initiatives forward. Facilitates an environment that motivates, empowers, and inspires commitment from employees. Understands what issues require a "sense of urgency" and handles accordingly. Ensures confidentiality around sensitive issues. Demonstrates commitment to creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. Creates and implements methods for improving individual and team performance. Builds effective teams committed to organizational goals. Fosters collaboration. Creates an environment in which employees are recognized for their accomplishments and contributions to the success of the team. Understands the university's mission and vision and how the department/division work activities and goals support the mission. Identifies current and future challenges and proposes effective solutions. Determines, effectively allocates, and coordinates resources.
2. STRATEGIC PLANNING:
As a strategic partner, recommends and implements long and short term strategic plan goals and operational plans for Advancement Services. Ensures Advancement Services' goals align with and support the overall mission of the university. Motivates and encourages commitment to achievement of strategic plans. Provides strategic direction around prospects and capacity for any University comprehensive campaign. Effectively communicates the strategic initiatives. Accomplishes strategic goals for University Advancement and the CSUSM Foundation.
3. UNIVERSITY/COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIP:
As a member of the campus community, ensures a community focused strategy to support the university's mission. Recognizes the importance of collective strength, knowledge, and information. Builds effective strategic alliances internally and externally. Initiates and develops strong working relationships with community. Demonstrates commitment to diversity. Collaborates with business partners in the achievement of university goals that support the university's mission. Actively solicits and acts upon feedback. Identifies and anticipates community needs. Develops and implements solutions. Successfully negotiates through persuasion. Gains support and commitment from others. Takes the necessary measures to solicit and influence internal and external support.
4. FUNCTIONAL OVERSIGHT/MANAGEMENT:
Provides overall leadership and direct supervision of Gift Processing and Reporting Coordinator, Prospect Researcher, Database Administrator and Administrative Coordinator. The Director will manage and make improvements to a comprehensive and complex gift processing function, the central processing unit for all gifts to the CSUSM; coordinate and monitor workflow; ensure timely and donor-centric receipting and recording of gifts and pledges; reconciliation of gift records to the financial general ledger; support audit inquires; ensure compliance and data security; ensure close collaboration with relevant campus partners and update policies and procedures to reflect best practices. The Director oversees critical activities related to the maintenance, management, use and analysis of data in the Blackbaud Raiser's Edge database and Raiser's Edge NXT. The Director will lead comprehensive database cleaning to result in improvements and enhancements in data integrity consistent with best practices. The Director will have knowledge and experience in prospect research functions, long and short-term planning and implementation of strategies for prospect cultivation and solicitation in collaboration with academic leaders and campus development officers. Provide leadership for advancement technology including central database, Advancement website, e-communications, support calling center database, and the alumni online community. Determine enhanced features, services and products to increase capability of supporting university and college advancement efforts.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
Gift Processing and Reporting Coordinator Full time
Database Administrator Full time
Prospect Researcher Full time
Administrative Support Coordinator Full time
Student assistant Part time
PURPOSE AND NATURE OF WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
Daily/weekly interaction with faculty, staff, campus leadership, community volunteers, civic and business leaders to persuade, gather and provide information, collaborate, consult and resolve issues.
REQUIREMENTS OF POSITION:
1. List education and experience required
• Bachelor's degree in related field plus five years' experience in a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Direct experience with a relational database, similar to Blackbaud Raiser's Edge
i. Master's degree in related field
ii. Blackbaud Raiser's Edge and Raiser's Edge NXT direct experience
iii. Work experience in an academic setting, ideally Public Higher Education.
2. List knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position.
Leadership / Vision:
• Demonstrated commitment to CSUSM's mission and goals as a student-centered university dedicated to teaching excellence and active learning with a university first perspective and a customer focused strategy.
• Ability to establish a clear and understandable vision for Advancement Services, engage the university community in the implementation of the vision, and build the operational components to execute the vision
• Ability to lead and enable groups of people to face challenges and achieve results in complex conditions.
• A demonstrated commitment to inclusiveness and access in all areas of the university.
Management / Conflict Resolution / Problem Resolution / Initiative / Continuous Improvement:
• Successful experience managing projects in a complex organization.
• Ability to lead courageously by addressing difficult issues.
• Ability to initiate and support innovation with creativity, openness to change, flexibility, responsiveness, and future focus.
• Ability to apply quality management techniques of continuous improvement and employee involvement to assess and improve services, promote campus culture and build teams.
• Ability to identify current and future challenges and propose and implement effective solutions.
• Experience making effective decisions with sound analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus.
• Experience in developing business processes, procedural handbooks and guidelines for enhanced business functions for advancement services and prospect research
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences.
• Successful negotiation and persuasion skills.
• Ability to prepare and present information in various report formats.
Strategic planning / Goal Setting:
• Experience in strategically supporting growth and/or change.
• Experience creating and implementing long and short term goals.
• Experience in determining and coordinating resource allocations.
• Ability to collaborate with multiple entities to plan and accomplish the objectives set forth in the university's strategic master plan, coordinating ongoing multiple large and complex projects from conception to completion in a centralized and highly regulated environment.
• Ability to find solutions that result in prudent decisions, to promote mutual satisfaction and positive action, and to develop imaginative approaches to achieve individual, unit and institutional strategic initiatives.
• Ability to apply forward-thinking and creative thought with high ethical standards to develop strategic vision.
Teamwork / Collaboration:
• The ability to work effectively and build strong alliances internally and externally with a broad range of individuals to bring the University community together around shared goals.
Functional Area Expertise:
• Serve as the expert in all Advancement Services functions providing strategic direction and support to the Advancement Services team, colleagues and campus leadership.
• Demonstrated understanding of relevant information systems, tools and databases used to collect, disseminate, and report data to support the advancement and fundraising efforts of an organization.
• Demonstrated experience with and ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment.
• Expertise in analyzing, modifying, implementing and evaluating development programs and practices.
• Demonstrated expertise and knowledge of the principles and practices of gift processing and administration.
• Demonstrated experience developing and managing high-level customer service.
• Demonstrated expertise in relational databases.
• Understanding of applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures relevant to all aspects of a complex higher education advancement operation (i.e.: CASE, IRS).
• Advanced analytical skills to synthesize a high volume of information from a variety of sources and perform complex analysis to interpret financial data and individual wealth indicators, identify philanthropic patterns, and relationships among individuals, corporations and foundations.
• Experience conceptualizing, developing and implementing proactive methodologies for identification and solicitation of prospective donors.
• Working knowledge of current prospect research technologies and databases.
• Demonstrated experience writing guidelines for prospect management services including: conducting portfolio and pipeline analysis (moves management cycle), assessing fundraising performance, and managing prospect ratings.
• Demonstrated experience reconciling gift records to a financial general ledger.
3. List machines, tools, equipment, and motor vehicles used in the performance of the duties
• Extensive experience with Blackbaud Raisers Edge and Raisers Edge NXT
• Standard office and communication equipment.
4. List unique working conditions
• Occasional overnight travel.
• Evenings and weekends may be required.
5. Other Employment Requirements
• The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Limited Reporter
• This position is subject to a background check including, but not limited to, employment verification, education verification, reference checks and criminal record checks. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
• This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The incumbent in this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. Disclosure category 2.
• Must participate in required campus trainings including, but not limited to, Sexual Harassment Prevention training "EDU Supervisor: Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation"; Information Security Awareness Training; and Sexual Violence Awareness and Prevention "EDU: Eliminate Campus Sexual Misconduct".
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
San Marcos, California