CSUN's Commitment to You
CSUN is committed to achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, learning and inclusion. Our values include a respect for all people, building partnerships with the community and the encouragement of innovation, experimentation and creativity. CSUN strives to cultivate a community in which a diverse population can learn and work in an atmosphere of civility and respect. CSUN is especially interested in candidates who make contributions to equity and inclusion in the pursuit of excellence for all members of the university community.
About the University
California State University, Northridge seeks a visionary, strategic, thoughtful, and collaborative leader for the position of Associate Vice President of Financial Services (AVP). The AVP will be a key partner with campus senior leadership in developing a comprehensive fiscal program aligned with the campus mission.
At CSUN we aspire to continually grow as an inclusive, cooperative community! Every employee is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do, and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. If this sounds like you, you've come to the right place. Learn more: https://www.csun.edu/about-csun.
About the Division
The Division of Administration and Finance provides essential services to students, faculty, staff, and the external community in university fiscal operations, in building, grounds and infrastructure construction and maintenance, in police services, risk management, intercollegiate athletics, performing arts operations, and Human Resources administration.
We provide innovative, quality service while adhering to the highest professional standards and principles of being user-friendly, effective, efficient and compliant with appropriate laws and regulations.
The Associate Vice President (AVP) reports to the Vice President for Administration and Finance and CFO and is responsible for the integrity of all financial systems and processes relating to business activities of the university.
- Oversees Accounts Payable/Travel, Student Financial Services, Financial Accounting and Reporting, Cash Services, Purchasing and Contract Administration, and Financial Systems
- Is the principal advisor to the Vice President regarding financial issues and participates in the development and review of university policies related to campus business practices
- Responsible for providing solutions to the CSUN community including streamlined procedures for payment processing; reducing or avoiding costs through strategic sourcing and supplier management; and ensuring daily operations support the university's mission and goals
- Serves as liaison and resource to other campus administrators (including auxiliary organizations and enterprise operations) regarding financial and managerial accountability, compliance with applicable regulations, and consistent financial practices
- Participates in the System wide Financial Officers Association (FOA), assisting both FOA and the Office of the Chancellor in development of financial policies and procedures, best practices, and financial audit compliance standards
- Engages in a shared service partnership for administering Athletics business/budget operations
- Responsible for coordination and preparation of university year-end financial statements and related audits in accordance with GAAP, GASB, and CSU policies (e.g. ICSUAM, Executive Orders, Audit Guidelines, etc.)
- Maximizes cost savings and revenue through risk assessments; improves campus engagement strategies to capitalize on consolidated opportunities
- Expands supplier management strategies, emphasizing achievement of sustainability and accessibility goals
- Leads negotiations for high dollar, complex, and non-routine contracts, to include revenue-generating contracts involving strategic corporate partnership and sponsorship opportunities; these contracts may require development of unique specifications and/or the integration of many diverse strategic financial, contractual, and risk management elements
- Serves as primary liaison with Information Technology Division in the implementation of technology initiatives and system upgrades that impact the university's ledger and PeopleSoft financial accounting system
- In coordination with the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, assists in preparation of the annual budget for Athletics, as well as annual financial monitoring and reporting
- Provides shared services infrastructure for fiscal operations, including but not limited to, travel expenses, vendor payments, and revenue tracking
- Effectively leads and manages a high performance Financial Services team; fosters an environment of employee achievement and development
- Understands, supports, and empowers staff to embrace the broader mission and strategic plan of CSUN
- Establishes and maintains metrics for tracking departmental performance and effect improvements where indicated
A Master's degree in business, finance, accounting, or a related field. Equivalent to ten years professional experience managing financial functions. Extensive understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and auditing standards, as well as financial reporting under FASB and GASB requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Knowledge of and experience working with a comprehensive financial database system. Experience with Oracle/PeopleSoft preferred. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to develop and lead a collaborative team, and establish an effective, efficient Financial Services operation within a large, complex organization.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary is commensurate with knowledge, skills, and experience. The University offers excellent fringe benefits.
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
How To Apply
Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN on-line application utilizing: http://bit.ly/HRCSUN link. Please attach a cover letter that addresses the qualifications above and the contributions you intend to make at CSUN, as well as a resume.
NOTE: Internal candidates should apply through the portal by accessing the View Job Openings/Apply link on the Human Resources/Employee pagelet.
For more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit the link below:
This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the status of candidates who apply for the position.
The person holding this position will be considered a 'limited reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Conflict of Interest
This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
About the University
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
Los Angeles, California