Bus Operations Information
SamTrans operates 76 bus routes throughout San Mateo County and into parts of San Francisco and Palo Alto. The Bus Operator safely transports passengers along assigned routes, making designated stops.Bus Operator Job Summary
The Bus Operator is a full-time, hourly and deemed to be a Safety Sensitive position.
The work location is either in South San Francisco, CA and/or San Carlos, CA.
The work schedule is determined by seniority, therefore, it will include: Days, Swing shifts, evenings, weekends, and holidays.Other Information
FY2020 Bus Operator Trainee Class Schedule Our class schedules are tentative subject to change based on the hiring needs for the District. Below are the schedule for 2020: Class No . Class Start Date Training Duration Graduation Date 2020
162 January 2020 8 weeks March 2020
163 March 2020 10 weeks May 2020
164 June 2020 10 weeks August 2020
165 August 2020 10 weeks October 2020
166 November 2020 10 weeks January 2021MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS No previous Bus Operator or commercial driving experience required
. We will provide paid
training consisting of both classroom and behind-the-wheel instruction. Come drive with us, all you need is the following:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One year of fulltime customer service or public contact experience.
- A valid Class "C" California Driver's License with two years of continuous good driving record.
Other Requirements :
SELECTION PROCESS MAY INCLUDE: 1.) Application will be screened for minimum qualifications and completeness. Include the submission of the supplemental questionnaire.2.) Email invitation will be sent to those that are continuing in the selection process. The process can include written assessment, structured panel intervew, and seat test.
- Must be able to obtain and present a Class "B" Commercial Driving Permit (with Passenger and Air Brakes Endorsements) on the first day of employment.
- Successful in the pre-employment process.
- Must be able to operate and clearly communicate over District radio communications system.
- Must have effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Must meet the Samtrans' good driving record at the time of application.
DMV Record Check
Review of the your K4 driving record from the DMV to determine if you meet the "Good Driving" record standard set by SamTrans. You may be disqualified or rejected for one of several reasons.
- Your DMV record may not meet District driving standards
- If you have more than 3 moving violations in the last 5 years
- If you have an at-fault accident in the last 5 years
- If your license was suspended for moving violations
- If you have violations such as reckless driving or DUI within the last 7 years
- If your DMV record shows a pattern of irresponsible driving or repeat offenses, even if violations do not fall within the automatically disqualifying time limit
- Scheduled for a 20 minutes oral interview with a panel consisting of three individuals
- Assess your oral communication skills and other required competencies deemed critical to be a high quality Bus Operator for the District
3.) Conditional Job Offer and Pre-Employment Process
- Assessment of physical condition in two different size buses to determine your ability to operate the vehicles and equipment.
Upon acceptance of conditional offer, you will proceed to the following steps:
- Criminal background and Employment/Education reference checks
- Schedule for Medical Examination and Drug & Alcohol assessments
- License/Permit - You must obtain your Class B permit with Passenger & Airbrakes endorsements; if you have a class A license, you must obtain a Passenger endorsement
- Department of Transportation (DOT) Drug & Alcohol history check
- You must pass each step to be eligible for a conditional offer for a position as a Bus Operator Trainee.
The Bus Operator position is considered to be a safety-sensitive position by the U.S. Department of Transportation. All Bus Operators must participate in the District's drug and alcohol testing program. The District is a drug and alcohol-free work place. Any candidate who fails the pre-employment drug test will not be eligible to continue in the employment process.PAY RANGE Training Program
A Bus Operator Trainee is required to attend classroom and behind-the-wheel training for up to a 10-week period, five days a week, at a pay rate of $25.00/hour
. Bus Operator Salary Schedule
When trainees successfully complete the District's training program, they advance to a full-time Bus Operator position and their pay rate is increased.
Employee Retention Program - Up to $1,500
- Completion of training thru 6th month - $26.01/hourly
- Beginning 7th mo thru 12th month - $27.75/hourly
- Beginning 13th mo thru 18th month - $29.48/hourly
- Beginning 19th mo thru 24th month - $31.21/hourly
- Beginning 25th mo thru 30th month - $32.95/hourly
- Beginning 31st month - $34.68/hourly
Newly hired Bus Operators are eligible for the retention payout contingent on having no chargeable accidents, unexcused absences, or written passenger complaints during timeframe of the program. The pay-out schedule:
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS
- After completion of Probationary Period - $500
- Completion of 1st year from date of employment - $500
- Completion of 18th months from date of employment - $500
SamTrans has an excellent compensation and benefits package. Below are the highlights of our benefits. For more details informations, please visit: http://www.smctd.com/jobs.html#benefits
Retirement and Pension Plan
Our employees are eligible for both Social Security Benefits and CalPERS Pension Plan. Including lifetime medical benefits upon retirement. https://www.calpers.ca.gov/
California Public Employees Retirement Systems (CalPERS)
• Classic Members - 2% @ 60 benefit formula
• New Members - 2% @ 62 benefit formula
Cafeteria Health Plans
District paid 100% premium coverage for Employee's Dental, Vision and Life insurance.
- Medical Plans (Selection include Anthem, Blue Shield, HealthNet Smart, Kaiser, PERS Choice PPO and PERS Select PPO)
- Dental Care (Delta Dental)
- Vision Care (VSP)
- Life Insurance (Group Life Insurance and Optional Life Insurance)
- State Disability
- Workers Compensation
Additional Fringe Benefits
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts (eligible Health and Dependent Care Expenses)
- Education Assistance and Tuition Reimbursement Programs (College Education and Professional Training/Certifications)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Computer Purchase Loan Program
- Credit Union (San Mateo Credit Union)
Holidays and Paid-Time-Off (PTO)
Equal Employment Opportunity
- District recognized Holidays (7)
- Up to (5) Floating Holidays
- Up to (21) days of accrued PTO
The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities upon request. If you have a need for accommodation, please call (650)508-6308.
The District is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, persons with disabilities, veterans and disabled veterans are encouraged to apply.