This position is responsible for the development and maintenance of the departmental computing and functional systems capability for the Resource Operations & Trading Group, which is a mission critical 24/7 operation. The Resource Operations and Trading Group optimizes Tacoma Power's resource portfolio through efficient, reliable dispatch of generation resources to maximize wholesale energy sales revenue. The wholesale energy trading activities directly impact Tacoma Power's ability to maintain low and stable rates to our customers.
Develops new software tools, helps troubleshoot production issues, implements defect fixes, and adds new features. The individual within this role may also be called upon to assist in software project quality assurance, business analyst activities and/or other support tasks. As one of the developers on the team, responsible for the systems as used by the business users within Power Management. Helps troubleshoot production issues, implements defect fixes, and adds new features. Needs to be extremely customer focused. Relies on experience, industry best practices for support and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. This role reports to the Power Management Systems Engineering Lead.
The Power Management Systems Engineering workgroup is a small team that develops custom software, integrates vendor solutions and supports the technical systems implemented for the power management operations at Tacoma Power. This is a busy workgroup that is often taking on specific technical industry challenges to solve the fast-paced problems emerging in the new energy markets.Applications will be reviewed onFebruary 18, 2020for first consideration Qualifications
Desirable Skills & Qualifications
- B.S / M.S. in Computer Science / Engineering or equivalent.
- Professional Engineering License (or 10+ years of experience)
Knowledge & Skills
- 7+ years development experience within an enterprise environment.
- Proven Self-Starter that can dig into nebulous problems and strong customer focus.
- Strong Design Skills and familiar with SOLID Design Principles
- Broad Understanding of Microsoft Technology Stack (WINS)
- 7+ years experience working with .NET using C# - Full Stack, .NET 4.0+
- 5+ years experience in WCF Soap-Based services (Especially Contract-First Development)
- 4+ years of Service Oriented Architecture development experience (including SOAP UI)
- 4+ years of experience with XML
- 5+ years experience with SQL Server, Stored Procedures, T-SQL
- Experience with SSIS, SSRS, and ETL Processes for Data Scraping, Warehousing and Reporting
- Experience working in a team-oriented enterprise software development group
- Experience working in both a Waterfall & Agile software development environment
- Familiar with industry standard tools for source control and issue tracking such as GIT and JIRA
- NERC/WECC & CIP reliability standards and applicability to Tacoma Power's resource operations and trading functions.
- Experience working in Operational Environment with 24x7 uptime requirements.
- Experience managing a SQL Server Data Warehouse, implementing Data Scraping & ETL Processes.
- Desktop UI Development with WPF/XAML
- CI/CD experience (Bamboo/Octopus)
- Web Development with ASP.NET Webforms & MVC, Angular, Bootstrap
- Familiarity with GO, Grafana, InfluxDB
- Familiarity with Cloud Based Technologies (AWS/Azure) and Linux based systems
- 2+ years experience with RESTful APIs & JSON
- Experience with gRPC
- 2+ year experience with Automated Unit Testing
- Experience with .NET CORE
Selection Process & Supplemental Information
- Design, Implement & Integrate both off-the-shelf and custom software solutions.
- Track down and resolve software issues
- Implement application enhancements, change requests
- Perform project related development tasks (Design, Coding, Testing, etc.)
- Implement Automated Unit Tests
- Coordinate with users from different departments and build customer relations
- Provide system support, track down and resolve issues for business users of Power Management Systems
This recruitment is being managed by Alissa McLain, if you would like to be notified of similar opportunities or stay connected with things going on at Tacoma Public Utilities and the City of Tacoma, connect with me on LinkedIn! City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
One of the primary goals of the Equity and Empowerment Initiative is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.Tacoma Power
Tacoma Power is an almost 100% hydroelectric, municipally-owned public power utility, located in Tacoma. We serve approximately 170,000 customers as one of the three operating divisions of Tacoma Public Utilities, alongside Tacoma Water and Tacoma Rail. As one of the most livable,walkablecities in the country, you'll find that Tacoma is a great fit for all interests with places to bike, run, hike, and explore, the perks of a big city, and the charm of a small town.The City of Tacoma
Tacoma is a mid-sized urban port city that sits along the Puget Sound with a population of nearly 210,000. The third largest city in the state of Washington, it is a diverse, progressive international gateway to the Pacific Rim.
Propelled by significant developments such as the University of Washington Tacoma, the Tacoma Link light rail system, the restored urban waterfront of theTheaFossWaterway, the expansions of both theMultiCareand Franciscan health systems, and a significant influx of foreign direct investment in its downtown core, Tacoma has evolved considerably since the1990s.
Tacoma boasts the state's highest density of art and history museums, and is home to a flourishing creative community of writers, artists, musicians, photographers, filmmakers, chefs, entrepreneurs, and small business owners who each add their unique flair to the city's vibrant commercial landscape. The iconic Tacoma Dome has endured as a high-demand venue for some of the largest names in the entertainment industry.
A magnet for families looking for affordable housing options in the Puget Sound area, Tacoma also draws those who prefer to live in a more urban downtown setting with competitively priced condos and apartments that feature panoramic mountain and water views.
Tacoma's natural beauty and proximity to the Puget Sound and Mount Rainier draws hikers, runners, bicyclists, and maritime enthusiasts to the area. Its lively social scene is infused with energy by thousands of students attending the University of Washington Tacoma, the University of Puget Sound, the Evergreen State College Tacoma campus, and Tacoma Community College, as well as a number of local trade and technical colleges. Its prime location - just 20 minutes south of the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, 30 miles north of the state capital in Olympia, and within 10 miles of the U.S. Department of Defense's premier military installation on the West Coast - only adds to Tacoma's desirability. To see a few of the great things Tacoma has to offer, view this YouTube Video! Apply
Interested individuals should apply online and attach
a detailed resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received for interview consideration.
Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check.Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400.
Closing Date/Time: 6/4/2020 5:00 PM Pacific