SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary Range: $4,682.00/month to $7,235.00/month. PLEASE NOTE: The starting salary will be $5,886.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/hr/benefits/index.html
ABOUT CAL STATE EAST BAY:
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Under supervision of the Watch Supervisors, works an assigned shift and performs law enforcement patrol duties on foot, bicycle or by vehicle to protect campus and visiting personnel, property and facilities against accidents, bodily harm, fire, theft, vandalism and illegal entry; enforces federal, state and local laws and traffic regulations; apprehends violators; provides general information/assistance to the public; responsible for the protection of life and property within the jurisdiction of California State University, East Bay; provides security for large gatherings of students, faculty, staff or visitors to the campus; conducts investigations related to assigned cases and investigate/record irregularities which occur during assigned shift; takes necessary actions within the limits of prescribed policies/procedures to correct the situation, or if necessary, contacts the appropriate authorities for guidance/assistance; may be required to perform other duties which enhance the safety of the campus community, such as providing assistance to Public Safety/Police support staff; participate in emergency preparedness and other safety programs.
Must have successfully completed a POST certified Police Academy in the last three years from date of hire and/or possess at minimum, a POST Basic Certificate.
Field Duties - Enforcement, Safety, Security, Prevention and Emergency Response:
A. Enforces Federal, State and Local Laws and CSUEB regulations.
* Investigates reports of criminal or prohibited activity.
* Identifies violators
* Takes action against violators through arrest or referral
* Prepares reports on investigations
* Processes evidence.
* Appears at criminal proceedings or administrative hearings.
B. Safety and Security
* Provides high visibility presence within the facilities and public areas to promote safety and security and to deter crime.
* Provides security patrols and crowd control at major events or incidents to promote order.
* Investigates reports of activity affecting the safety and security of persons or property.
* Investigates civil issues affecting the order and interests of the University.
C. Crime Prevention
* Conducts personal safety escorts and assistance.
* Provides high visibility patrol by vehicle, foot or bicycle to deter crime.
* Acts/reports on safety hazards and security problems in the environment.
D. Emergency Response
* Provides assistance, coordination, communication and control at incidents and disasters.
* Investigates ,assists and reports on vehicle accidents and traffic related matters.
* Investigates, assists and reports on medical emergencies.
* Investigates emergency alarms (fire, security facility) and initiates action or referral.
* Provides assistance to those who are locked out of facilities or vehicles.
* Provides motorist assistance.
* Collects and processes lost and found property.
B. Education Outreach.
* Participates in Community Oriented Policing Initiatives to promote public relations and awareness about safety, security and emergency preparedness.
A. Administrative projects and assignments.
* Participates in the development and training of other employees.
* In the absence of command, supervisory or lead officers, provides guidance to junior or non-sworn employees while on shift or assignment.
* Provides guidance regarding appropriate application of rules, regulations, orders, procedures
* Provides guidance regarding the appropriate use and care of department equipment, supplies and facilities.
* Provides guidance regarding documentation of incidents, case investigations and shift activities.
* Investigates and reports, through the chain of command, circumstances that may adversely affect the Department, University or Community.
* Demonstrated thorough knowledge of current law enforcement methods and procedures.
* Demonstrated thorough knowledge of current criminal codes and laws.
* Demonstrated thorough knowledge of effective investigative techniques and procedures.
* Demonstrated ability to interpret and accurately apply policies, procedures, rules, regulations and laws.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and make sound judgments.
* Demonstrated ability to provide guidance to other employees.
* Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with a diverse population.
* Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with members of the department and public in stressful situations.
* Demonstrated ability to handle all duties with acumen,accuracy, timeliness, confidentiality, fostering collaboration and trust.
* Demonstrated ability to resolve problems and conflicts.
* Demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
* Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
* Demonstrated ability to write detailed reports and correspondence.
* Possess excellent verbal and written communications skills.
* Possess strong computer skills, using Windows platform, word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
* Must be a U.S. Citizen
* California Drivers License (Valid with good record)
* POST Basic Certificate or proof of completion of POST Basic Police Academy
* High School Graduate or equivalency
* Must be able to successfully pass background investigation, written examination, physical agility test, Livescan, Polygraph, Psychological Drug Screen and Medical exams
PREFERRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
* State Defensive Driving Certificate
HOW TO APPLY:
In addition to the standard Cal State East Bay application, please submit a:
1. Cover letter
3. List of three (3) or more professional references
Resumes alone will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
To apply on-line, please go to www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via automatic email reply regarding their application materials. In addition, all applicants who were not selected will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process. Please be patient as this process may take several weeks.
CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a position with supervisory/lead responsibilities, subject to completion of the University on-line Sexual Harassment training as a condition of employment.
Satisfactory completion of a background check that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled