Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under direction, supervises and directs a specialized area within the total City's recreation program, or a specialized type of recreation activity, and performs related work as required. Approximate employment duration :
Up to40 hours per week.Appointments from May through August. Deadline :
Applications areaccepted until such time a sufficient number of qualified applications is received to fill the positions.Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the work performed by this position is currently limited or not being performed.The position is posted now in preparation for post COVID-19 operations. Acceptable Experience and Training
Required Special Qualifications
- Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school and two years of responsible recreational experience, including concentration in one or more specialties in the field of recreation or athletics.
- A college degree in recreation, leisure services, education or related field may be substituted for the required two years of experience.
- If substituting education for years of experience, transcripts need to be submittedto the City of Des Moines Human Resources Department; electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org , by fax to 515-237-1680, or by mail to 1551 E MLK Jr Pkwy, Des Moines, IA 50317 at the time of application.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Requires satisfactory criminal, sex offender and driving record background checks.
- Passing a pre-employment physical and drug screen is required prior to employment.
- Current certification in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)and First Aid, and/or an applicable, valid driver's license is required when work assignment requires said certification and/or involves driving a vehicle.
- Free CPR/First Aid certification courses are availablethroughtheCity of DesMoinesPark and Recreation Department for those offered employment in this position. Formore information, please contact Tim Smith at (515) 248-6314.
- Leads assigned activities and supervises others in leading activities;
- Trains staff in leadership techniques, methods of activity planning, safety and public relations;
- Works closely with other recreation staff to assure the proper development of assigned activities;
- Organizes and supervises one or more activities such as summer playground programs, aquatics programs, day camps, trips, arts and cultural activities, nature activities, sports and games, special population, senior activities or special events;
- Recruits and trains staff and volunteers to assist with program implementation, lead programs and ensure safety of participants;
- Tracks participation statistics;
- Maintains necessary records and submits required reports.
Closing Date/Time: 6/22/2020 5:00 PM Central