The PositionPLEASE NOTE:
This recruitment is for Entry-Level and Lateral Police Officers. This recruitment will close at 11:59 pm, Tuesday, June 30, 2020
This is a sworn law enforcement position with an emphasis on Community Policing, focused on crime prevention, organizational excellence, community engagement, and inclusion. Portland Police Officers work with diverse communities within the City of Portland to preserve life, maintain human rights, protect property, and promote individual responsibility as well as community commitment. A Portland Police Officer functions and communicates effectively within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds. The Portland Police Bureau provides excellent training, pay and benefits. Officers serve the community in many unique and rewarding ways.
New officers will work various shifts and geographical areas as assigned. Additional information is available at https: //www.joinport
la ndpolice.com/faq/. External applicants start at the entry salary rate unless you qualify as a Lateral Police Officer.
The Portland Police Association (PPA) represents this classification. To view this labor agreement, please go to https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840
and click on the appropriate link. To Qualify ENTRY LEVEL POLICE OFFICER QUALIFICATIONS
At the time of application:
LATERAL POLICE OFFICER QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be 20.5 years old.
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must have three (3) years of continuous service in another police agency as a sworn police officer for a recognized state, county, or city (municipal) agency, to include sworn Indian Tribal Police, AND must have been employed there within the last two (2) years.
- Military police, Corrections and Parole/Probation DO NOT QUALIFY as a Lateral Police Officer. Federal Law Enforcement experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
must meet each of the following conditions:
The Recruitment ProcessFRONTLINE WRITTEN EXAM (Pass/Fail)
- Must be a U.S. Citizen within one (1) year of employment, or a nonimmigrant legally admitted to the United States under a Compact of Free Association https://cann.us/work/hb-2594/. Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application. (Application for U.S. citizenship requires 5 years of residency).
- Must possess a valid driver's license (in current state of residence) at the time of application. Have no excessive traffic violations.
- Have no felony convictions.
- Have no conviction of a crime involving domestic violence.
- Have not used any marijuana products within the last year.
- Have no dishonorable discharge from any branch of military service.
- Cannot have any offensive forms of body art or tattoos. Tattoos above the collar may be considered case by case. More information can be found at https: //www.joinport la ndpolice.com/faq/.
- Must have vision correctable to 20/30. Additional information on medical requirements can be found on the DPSST F-2 at http://www.oregon.gov/dpsst/SC/pages/cjforms.aspx.
- Lateral applicants and applicants who possess a bachelor's degree are NOT required to take the NTN Frontline Written Exam.
- Applicants requiring the NTN are encouraged to schedule and take the National Testing Network (NTN) Frontline Written Exam prior to applying to the City of Portland. Test and scheduling information can be found at https://nationaltestingnetwork.com/publicsafetyjobs/. While you are not required to have this test completed prior to application , you will be asked to complete all three (3) components of the exam prior to hire. The following minimum scores for the NTN are required: Reading ability test- 70, writing ability test- 70 and Video-based human relations- 65.
- Additional information can be found at https:// www.joinportlandpolice.com/entry#phase-1-the-test.
Additional InformationApplications will be processed for placement on an equally ranked eligibility list approximately every two (2) weeks.ONCE ON AN ELIGIBLE LIST, YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED BY EMAIL ON THE ADDITIONAL STEPS IN THE POLICE OFFICER SELECTION PROCESS WHICH INCLUDE:
- Applicants will complete the on-line application and supplemental questionnaire. Applicants who are disqualified from the supplemental questionnaire will not be able to reapply until the next recruitment cycle, so please read and understand the questions prior to answering.
- Veteran's Preference. Upload and attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and Veteran's Administration letter stating your disability rating (if applicable) with your application. You must also check the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for. Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted with your application .
- PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT and REQUIRED DOCUMENTS. Further information can be found at https: //www.joinportlandpolice.com/documents/.
- PRE-PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM
- PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST (PASS/FAIL) (IF REQUIRED)
- IN-DEPTH BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
- QUALIFYING PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM QUALIFYING MEDICAL EXAM
- COMMAND INTERVIEW PANEL (PASS/FAIL)
Additional Information on the recruitment process can be found at http s://www
The Portland Police Bureau offers free monthly hiring process workshops
to assist applicants in the selection process. Workshop information can be found at https://w
ww .j oin portl
a ndpolice.com/workshops/. This recruitment will close at 11:59 pm, Tuesday, June 30, 2020.
All applications for this position must be submitted online and in the possession of the Portland Police Bureau of Human Resources no later than this date and time.
If you need any assistance please contact our recruiting officers at (503) 823-0333 or PPBRecruiter@portlandoregon.gov
or https: //www.joinportlandpolice.com/con
Follow us on Facebook at https://www
.faceboo k.com/joinpdxpolice.Work Status:
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.Veterans' Preference:
If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment. ADA Accommodations:
If you identify as a person with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.Equal Employment Opportunity:
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.Did you know?
The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates:www.bit.ly/howtoapplyclass Contact Information
Teresa Dahrens, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
(503) 823-4516 An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Wages & Benefits Information:http://www.joinportlandpolice.com/wages-benefits/Additional Information Regarding This Recruitment:http://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/60019Frequently Asked Questions:http://www.joinportlandpolice.com/faq/
Closing Date/Time: 6/30/2020 11:59 PM Pacific