Open Date: January 8, 2020Final Filing Date: Continuous
Exam # T20/60B21/01KK SUMMARY OF POSITION
Monterey County Health Department's Behavioral Health Bureau
has exciting opportunities for per diem Psychiatric Social Workers on a growing multidisciplinary team working in the Natividad Medical Center Emergency Room Department (ED) Crisis Team. Natividad Medical Center is often the initial stop for community members who walk in or are brought in by law enforcement or ambulance and who may be experiencing a mental health crisis. Patients may present with a variety of symptoms including substance related issues, danger to self or others, grave disability or medical issues. The ED Crisis Team is responsible for psychiatric evaluations of clients in the Emergency Department at Natividad Medical Center and assisting to determine the appropriate level of care for those patients, which may include 5150, outpatient treatment, or placement in another facility.
Monterey County Behavioral Health takes pride in providing caring and efficient direct services to the community. In the ED, the Crisis Team Psychiatric Social Workers create positive rapport with clients and their families quickly and help patients know they are in a safe environment.
Duties of a Psychiatric Social Worker on the ED Crisis Team include assessing and diagnosing patients, collateral contact with client caregivers to collect information, provide psycho-education, referrals to clients and families and responding to crisis phone calls. ED Crisis Team Psychiatric Social Workers work with a multidisciplinary treatment team which includes Natividad Physicians and Nurses and Behavioral Health Psychiatrists to assess the client's needs and provide an appropriate disposition. Psychiatric Social Workers on the ED Crisis Team do not carry a caseload, but will complete a psychosocial assessment and other documentation for clients they see in the ED. Psychiatric Social Workers working on this team develop the ability to perform rapid clinical decision making and rapport building, develop skills in differential diagnosing including Substance Use, and to create strong working relationships with staff of other disciplines and work styles.
Per diem shifts may include day, evening and/or overnight (NOC), weekends and holiday coverage. Per diem staff will work to fill in gaps in coverage and will be expected to be available to work a minimum of 10 hours per month. Desired current skills for this position:
- Able to maintain flexible hours when needed
- Clear communication style
- Demonstrates care and empathy with clients and their families
The Eligible List established by this recruitment process will be used to fill current and future vacancies, both regular and temporary, as they arise. Examples of Duties THE IDEAL CANDIDATE Position Definition & Distinguishing Characteristics
Under direction, the Psychiatric Social Worker performs psychiatric assessments, diagnosis, clinical interventions and case management services for mentally and emotionally disturbed patients and their families in a mental health setting, and facilitate/coordinate treatment services. Psychiatric Social Worker I:
This is the entry-level position in the Psychiatric Social Worker series. Incumbents work in an assisting and supporting role, with closely supervised routine assignments that are limited in scope and independence. Psychiatric Social Worker II:
This is the advanced journey-level position in the Psychiatric Social Worker series competent to perform the full scope of specialized psychiatric assessment, diagnosis, clinical interventions to children and adolescents and seriously mentally ill adults in community or inpatient settings. Incumbents are expected to be fully trained and professionally skilled to independently provide services Will have a proven track record demonstrating the following knowledge, skills and abilities: Knowledge of:
Skill and Ability to:
- Current philosophy, principles, and practices for services to clients with serious mental illness
- Individual, group and family psychodynamics as they relate to adults or children
- Psychological diagnostic methods and terminology.
- Personality development from infancy through adulthood.
- Human and health services systems in the county including private agencies and other community resources.
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate:
- Provide treatment to adults, children or adolescents with various mental disabilities ranging from serious mental illness to dysfunctional behavior patterns including victims of sexual and physical abuse.
- Set realistic treatment goals and facilitate their attainment.
- Evaluate the degree of mental disability or emotional distress of patients/clients.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Provide consultation and technical assistance to team member, other agencies, schools and other organizations.
- Work collectively within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Be culturally sensitive
- A team player
- Have great customer service skills
- Develop and maintain positive partnerships within the agency and in the community
- Commitment to integrity, Respect, Innovation, Health Equity and Excellence
Comfortable working in a fast-paced Emergency DepartmentExamples of Experience/Education/Training EXAMPLES OF EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION/TRAINING :
The skills necessary may be acquired through various types of education, training, and/or experience, typically:
Possession of a Master's Degree from an accredited school of social work and registration with the Board of Behavioral Science Examiners as an Associate Clinical Social Worker. Required Conditions of Employment:
- The Health Department will conduct a thorough background and reference check process which includes a Department of Justice fingerprint check.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Class C Driver's License with a satisfactory driving record or ability to provide suitable transportation approved by the appointing authority.
- Possession of a master's degree from an accredited school of Social Work, Marriage Family Therapy or Psychology Program.
- In accordance with HIPAA, incumbent must have applied for or have a National Provider Identifier (NPI)
Pursuant to Section 5751.2 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, possession of any one of the following:
- Possession of a California License as a Clinical Social Worker, Marriage Family Child Therapist, Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, Psychologist or registration with the Board of Behavioral Science Examiners as an Associate in one of these areas.
For complete information see the class specification/job description on our website at:
https://www2.co.monterey.ca.us/pages/hr/class-specs/60B21.pdf Additional Information
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURES TO APPLY :
Submit the following to the Monterey County Health Department, Human Resources Division, 1270 Natividad Road, Salinas, CA 93906: Final Filing Date: Continuous
- Monterey County Employment Application form
- Responses to the Supplemental Questions
Or apply on-line at https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/government/departments-a-h/human-resources/human-resources/find-a-job Please be aware if the application form and responses to supplemental questions are not submitted timely with other required application materials, the application will be removed from further consideration.
Resumes may be submitted in addition to, but will not be accepted in lieu of, required application materials .
Application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants who are determined to be most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the process. To further assess applicant's possession of required qualifications, this examination may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exercise, performance exam, and/or written examination.
For more information or to receive application materials, contact the Health Department Human Resources Division at 831-755-4519.
- If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodations, please call the Health Department Human Resources Office at 831-755-4519.
- Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.