The City of Big Spring is now accepting applications for a Building Official. This position is responsible for conducting building inspections and supervising the enforcement of building codes and city ordinances. This person is responsible for enforcement of all Federal, State and Local codes for Health, Safety, and Nuisances.
To apply for this position, please submit the online application, a cover letter and resume at www.mybigspring.com. Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.
There are a wide variety of benefits available to City of Big Spring employees. These benefits include: health, dental, life and disability insurance, optional life insurance plans, flexible spending account for health and dependent care, an Employee Assistance Program, and a Tuition Reimbursement Program.
Texas Municipal Retirement System
- Employees contribute 7% of their gross salary; the City contributes 14% for a total contribution of 21% of the employee's gross salary. Employees can retire with full retirement benefits after twenty (20) years of service or at age sixty (60) and above, with a minimum of 5 years tenure. Individual retirement benefits vary based on annual salary and length of tenure. There is a Supplemental Death Benefit, with TMRS, that is equal to one year's annual salary. TMRS is a tax-sheltered program.
457(b) Deferred Compensation(In lieu of Social Security)
- Employees pay 6.7 percent of their adjusted gross salary; the City matches 5.51% into the retirement plan and 2.19% for a life and disability insurance package for a total matched funds 7.70%. The Deferred Compensation is a tax-sheltered program.
Life Insurance & Disability Package
- The life insurance package pays the beneficiary four times the employee's annual salary with a max of $200K, and an additional life insurance option available. The disability package ensures that, in the event of a permanent disability, a maximum of 60% of the employee's monthly salary is paid, up to a maximum of $3,000.00 per month.
Longevity (Pay for years of Service)
- After one year of service, longevity pay is paid bi-weekly. After the one (1) year anniversary, employees may choose to bank longevity payments to begin in January of the following year. Employees who bank longevity payments receive a lump sum in November of that year.
- For qualified employees, three to five uniforms are furnished by the City, along with other suitable foul weather and safety gear. Police and Fire Department personnel have different uniform benefits.
Flexible Spending Plan
- The Flexible Spending Plan allows employees to tax shelter eligible dependent care and medical expenses. This program provides a tax savings, increasing the employee's take home pay.
- The City of Big Spring pays 100% of the cost of employee's health insurance and supplements the cost of dependent insurance. Health insurance coverage is effective on the first day of the month following the date of hire. The in-network office co-pay is $30.00.
- Pharmacy benefits are included in the health insurance package. The pharmacy plan provides benefits for retail and mail order prescriptions. Align network pharmacies offer a thirty (30) day generic prescription for a $0 co-pay.
Dental & Vision Insurance
- Dental & Vision insurance is available to city employees at a semi-monthly cost.
- The City meets the standard state requirements for Workers' Compensation.
- City of Big Spring employees receive twelve (12) paid holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Presidents' Day
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veteran's Day
- Thanksgiving Day and the day following
- Two (2) days at Christmas.
- Standby pay is paid to employees who are required to maintain contact with the City to provide essential emergency services after normal business hours. Employees are paid $75.00 per full week of standby duty.
Full-time permanent employees earn vacation time based on the following schedule:
- 1-2 years 5 days/year
- 3-4 years 10 days/year
- 5-9 years 15 days/year
- 10-14 years 17 days/year
- 15-19 years 18 days/year
- 20-24 years 19 days/year
- 25+ years 20 days/year
Full-time permanent employees shall earn sick time based on the following schedule:
- 1-2 years 5 days/year
- 3-4 years 10 days/year
- 5-9 years 12 days/year
- 10+ years 15 days/year
Vacation Buy Back
- Vacation buy back up to 68 hours per year.
- No entry fee into Moss Lake, discounted Golf Memberships.
Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Tuition reimbursement program up to 100% reimbursed, depending on grade.
Employee Wellness Program
- Gym memberships discounted
- Wellness physicals, co-pay reimbursed annually
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tobacco Cessation Program