Building Official

  • City of Big Spring, Texas
  • Big Spring, Texas
  • Jan 06, 2020
Full Time Building and Safety Management, Mid to Senior Level
  • Salary: DOQ USD
  • Phone: 432-264-2347
  • Apply By: Apr 05, 2020

Summary

The City of Big Spring is now accepting applications for a Building Official.  This position is responsible for conducting building inspections and supervising the enforcement of building codes and city ordinances.  This person is responsible for enforcement of all Federal, State and Local codes for Health, Safety, and Nuisances.  

Job Description

  • Reviews plans for residential and commercial construction to ensure compliance with building, safety, and accessibility codes.
  • Issues alteration and repair permits for residential construction.
  • Inspects new residential and commercial construction in the city including building foundations, rough structures, and finished structures for safety and compliance with standard codes.
  • Enforces soil erosion and sediment control ordinances.
  • Travels city streets to locate non-permitted construction and other code violations; conducts site inspections when complaints are received.
  • Interprets and explains building and zoning ordinances, codes and regulations to builders, contractors, and homeowners.
  • Answers zoning questions, receives requests for conditional use, variances and changes, and collects applicable fees.
  • Reviews standard building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, gas, fire prevention and other codes to remain abreast of code changes.
  • Prepares reports and maintains inspection records.
  • Supervises the work activities of the Senior Code Enforcement Officer and Code Enforcement Officers.
  • Supervises and assigns work for the City Facilities department. Oversees the control and use of all materials, supplies and equipment used in the maintenance, construction and repair of City facilities.
  • Serves as Project and Construction Manager for City of Big Spring when required.
  • Organizes and conducts various board meetings to include the Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Board and Zoning Board of Adjustments and Appeals.
  • Supervises the work activities of the Permitting Office.
  • Performs other related duties as assigned.

Job Requirements

  • Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a Baccalaureate Degree or related study in this occupational field.
  • Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the sub-units in the department in order to direct and coordinate work within the department. This type of experience is usually associated with three to five years of work in a related field.
  • Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Texas for the vehicle or type of vehicles operated.
  • Possession of or ability to readily obtain, within one year, the appropriate state certification for the type of inspection(s) conducted, including:
    • ASFPM Certified Floodplain Manager
    • Registered Code Enforcement Officer
    • Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners Plumbing Inspector License
    • ICC Residential Plumbing Inspector License
    • Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester License
    • ICC Certified Building Official certification

Special Instructions

To apply for this position, please submit the online application, a cover letter and resume at www.mybigspring.com.  Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.

Additional Information

There are a wide variety of benefits available to City of Big Spring employees.  These benefits include:  health, dental, life and disability insurance, optional life insurance plans, flexible spending account for health and dependent care, an Employee Assistance Program, and a Tuition Reimbursement Program.


Texas Municipal Retirement System

  • Employees contribute 7% of their gross salary; the City contributes 14% for a total contribution of 21% of the employee's gross salary.  Employees can retire with full retirement benefits after twenty (20) years of service or at age sixty (60) and above, with a minimum of 5 years tenure. Individual retirement benefits vary based on annual salary and length of tenure.  There is a Supplemental Death Benefit, with TMRS, that is equal to one year's annual salary. TMRS is a tax-sheltered program.

457(b) Deferred Compensation(In lieu of Social Security)

  • Employees pay 6.7 percent of their adjusted gross salary; the City matches 5.51% into the retirement plan and 2.19% for a life and disability insurance package for a total matched funds 7.70%. The Deferred Compensation is a tax-sheltered program.

Life Insurance & Disability Package

  • The life insurance package pays the beneficiary four times the employee's annual salary with a max of $200K, and an additional life insurance option available.  The disability package ensures that, in the event of a permanent disability, a maximum of 60% of the employee's monthly salary is paid, up to a maximum of $3,000.00 per month.

Longevity (Pay for years of Service)

  • After one year of service, longevity pay is paid bi-weekly. After the one (1) year anniversary, employees may choose to bank longevity payments to begin in January of the following year.  Employees who bank longevity payments receive a lump sum in November of that year. 

Uniforms

  • For qualified employees, three to five uniforms are furnished by the City, along with other suitable foul weather and safety gear. Police and Fire Department personnel have different uniform benefits.

Flexible Spending Plan

  • The Flexible Spending Plan allows employees to tax shelter eligible dependent care and medical expenses.  This program provides a tax savings, increasing the employee's take home pay.

Health Insurance

  • The City of Big Spring pays 100% of the cost of employee's health insurance and supplements the cost of dependent insurance.  Health insurance coverage is effective on the first day of the month following the date of hire.  The in-network office co-pay is $30.00. 
     
  • Pharmacy benefits are included in the health insurance package.  The pharmacy plan provides benefits for retail and mail order prescriptions.  Align network pharmacies offer a thirty (30) day generic prescription for a $0 co-pay.

Dental & Vision Insurance

  • Dental & Vision insurance is available to city employees at a semi-monthly cost.

Workman's Compensation

  • The City meets the standard state requirements for Workers' Compensation.  

Paid Holidays

  • City of Big Spring employees receive twelve (12) paid holidays:  
    • New Year's Day
    • Martin Luther King Jr. Day
    • Presidents' Day
    • Good Friday
    • Memorial Day
    • Independence Day
    • Labor Day
    • Veteran's Day
    • Thanksgiving Day and the day following
    • Two (2) days at Christmas. 

Standby Pay

  • Standby pay is paid to employees who are required to maintain contact with the City to provide essential emergency services after normal business hours.  Employees are paid $75.00 per full week of standby duty.

Vacation

Full-time permanent employees earn vacation time based on the following schedule:

  •   1-2 years            5 days/year
  •   3-4 years          10 days/year
  •   5-9 years          15 days/year
  • 10-14 years        17 days/year
  • 15-19 years        18 days/year
  • 20-24 years        19 days/year
  • 25+ years           20 days/year

Sick Time
Full-time permanent employees shall earn sick time based on the following schedule:

  • 1-2 years          5 days/year
  • 3-4 years        10 days/year
  • 5-9 years        12 days/year
  • 10+ years       15 days/year

Vacation Buy Back 

  • Vacation buy back up to 68 hours per year. 

Recreation Privileges

  •  No entry fee into Moss Lake, discounted Golf Memberships.

Tuition Reimbursement Program

  • Tuition reimbursement program up to 100% reimbursed, depending on grade.

Employee Wellness Program

  • Gym memberships discounted
  • Wellness physicals, co-pay reimbursed annually
  • Employee Assistance Program 
  • Tobacco Cessation Program 

PDF Flyer

Job Address

Big Spring, Texas 79720 United States View Map