Tacoma Public Schools
Expected Start Date: March 2020
Hours per day: 8
Salary Level: $45.58/hour. Hourly wage is based off of 61% of the State of Washington's Prevailing Wage Rates for Pierce County for each craft's applicable prevailing wage
Union/Days per year: Maintenance260 days/8 hrsBenefits:
This job has the full range of benefits offered by Tacoma Public Schools.
This position performs duties related to the repair, maintenance, operation, and/or installation of mechanical refrigeration/air conditioning, heating equipment, and related systems.
1. Installs, repairs, services, and maintains pneumatic control systems for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning, including calibration of related instruments, gages, and controls.
2. Installs, repairs, services, and maintains air compressors, air dryers, cooling towers humidification, and dehumidification equipment, etc.
3. Installs, operates, services, maintains, and repairs conventional mechanical refrigeration/air conditioning equipment including but not limited to general purpose air conditioning units, heat pumps, water coolers, standard refrigerators, commercial grade refrigerators, milk coolers, ice machines, walk-in freezers, etc.
4. Installs, repairs, services, and maintains heating plant equipment such as pumps, compressors, reducing stations, hydronic piping, valves, filters, heat exchangers, chillers; installs, repairs, services, and maintains oil and gas burners, packaged boilers, and other auxiliary heating specialties; conducts firing efficiency checks and ensures proper operations.
5. Performs work on the electrical components of HVAC/refrigeration within the specifications of HVAC/refrigeration limited energy technician (06A) certificate, which includes connecting motors, compressors, temperature control panels, and control panels to power source; replaces defective breaker controls, thermostats, switches, and electrical wiring to repair installed units.
6. Performs preventative maintenance on mechanical equipment such as lubrication of compressors and other moving parts, filter servicing, adjusting and renewing belts, cleaning traps and strainers, repacking and re-seating valves, repacking pump seals and greasing machinery; inspects machinery in operation to ensure machinery is functioning properly, including checking pressures and temperatures; assists in setting up preventative maintenance schedules and data cards.
7. Performs necessary testing, installation, and maintenance required for the safe handling of refrigerants as needed in systems; repairs leaks and re-tests, drains, and installs systems by means of refrigerant recovery and reclaim units; complies with all public agency requirements on documentation, handling, and storage, as specified by holders of CFC handlers certificate.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
1. Performs related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Three years work experience with refrigeration/HVAC systems and two years related training at a technical trade school; or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of the hazards of refrigeration/HVAC work.
Knowledge of boiler codes and safe practices.
Knowledge and thorough understanding of pressure temperature relationships.
Knowledge of and ability to handle the necessary refrigerants.
Knowledge of and ability to use the tools and materials of the industry.
Knowledge and theories of HVAC/refrigeration and related systems.
Ability to read and interpret blueprints, control schematics, and engineering reports.
Ability to lift 50 pounds using proper safety precautions.
Ability to work from ladders in elevated positions.
Ability to bend, squat, stoop, climb, and reach.
Ability to quickly diagnose and make repairs.
Ability to respond quickly and calmly in emergencies.
Ability to work as a team member.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people in a multi-cultural, diverse socio-economic setting.
Required Licenses/Special Requirements
Current CFC/EPA approved refrigerant handling license.
Minimum of current Washington State HVAC/R Electrician Certificate 06A, or until March 1, 2002, may possess a 3rd year trainee certificate.
Valid Washington State driver's license.
May be required to make emergency repairs at hours other than normally scheduled; exposure to high voltage electrical systems; exposure to loud noises and machinery with moving parts; may work outdoors in inclement weather and at heights; may work in confined areas; travel to district sites required.
Job Locator Number: D2702
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Tacoma School District administration has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the primary functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
Tacoma Public Schools does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Coordinator: Lisa Nolan, 253-571-1252, email@example.com; Title IX Coordinator: Eric Hogan, 253-571-1191, firstname.lastname@example.org; and 504 Coordinator: Elementary, Tracye Ferguson, email@example.com, 253-571-1096; Secondary, Jon Bell, firstname.lastname@example.org, 253-571-1225. Address: P.O. Box 1357, Tacoma, WA 98401-1357.
HRInfo@tacoma.k12.wa.us, (253) 571-1250