Do you want a career where you can truly make a difference? The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is one of the largest human service providers in Lake County. We live our mission each day, promoting the health and well-being of all who live, work, and play in Lake County. If you are passionate about giving back and ready to be a part of an innovative team, we are looking for you!
About the Role:
As a Counselor II at the Waukegan Group Home, you will evaluate and assess clients that are residents of the program. You will prepare and implement treatment plans with clients; additionally, you will provide therapeutic and supportive services to clients including individual, group, and family counseling and case management. In residential programs, Counselors are responsible for unit coverage and emergency telephone interventions. Counseling duties are generally office based, case management activities are generally community based.
Hours: Monday and Friday: 1:00pm - 7:00pm; Sunday: 7:00am - 2:00pm
Skills and Experience:
- Provides direct services to clients including organizing and facilitating individual and group treatment and activities, supervision of the milieu and case management and outreach.
- Develops clients’ abilities to problem-solve interpersonal conflicts.
- Facilitates with clients and collaborates with the treatment team to develop, review and update treatment goals and referrals both internally and externally.
- Takes responsibility for training in and documenting clinical chart requirements to meet program and state standards.
- Provides education and direction to clients, family members and/or significant others.
- Organizes and participates in treatment-related clinical conferences and staffing's on assigned clients. Reports client progress, behavior problems or need for medication evaluation to program supervisors/physicians/psychiatrists regularly.
- May assist in the orientation and training of new staff.
- Involved in quality improvement activities on an ongoing basis (such as implementing processes as a result of performance measurement reviews, participation in councils and teams, making suggestions to improve a process, designing curriculum for groups).
- Conducts crisis intervention/evaluation/referral to persons who present themselves at the program.
- Performs initial evaluations and assessments of potential clients regarding their appropriateness for participation in the program. Provides ongoing assessment of client’s progress/growth.
- Participates in collection of client fees including completing forms for third-part coverage and discussing balances due with clients, as appropriate.
- In residential programs, provides coverage of the unit/site, insuring 24-hour coverage is maintained at all times. In outpatient programs, provides weekend or evening coverage as required.
- Works with clients to secure and maintain entitlements, housing and other needed services.
- Demonstrates/teaches ADLs, when required.
- This is not an inclusive list of all job responsibilities.
Housing and Group Home Counselor:
- Teaches independent living skills, including cooking, cleaning, budgeting, medication management and leisure time planning skills.
- Works to develop client self-reliance.
- Assists with client medication compliance and training
Education, Qualifications, and Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or
- Bachelor’s in any field and two (2) years’ experience, or
- High School diploma or GED and five (5) years’ experience
If in a SUPR funded program, within 24 months of employment:
- Must obtain certification as an Alcohol/Drug Abuse Counselor (CADC) by the Illinois Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Professional Certification Board (I.A.O.D.A.P.C.A.) or have equivalent certification by a similar state or national board
About the Perks:
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package with performance-based incentive plans. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program. Visit the Health Department page to get additional information on why you should work for us.
To learn more about the department you will be working for, please visit the Group Home Program information page. If you would like to learn more about our community impact and to see some of our employees in action, please review this short video.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.