FILING START DATE :
12/10/2019 AT 7:00 a.m. (PT). This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure at any time without prior notice. EXAM NUMBER :
W7224I TYPE OF RECRUITMENT :
Open Competitive Job Opportunity
With more than 10 million residents, Los Angeles County is the most populous county in the nation. As the largest employer in Southern California, over 112,000 employees in more than 36 Departments provide vital public services as diverse as law enforcement, property assessment, public health protection, water conservation, cultural activities and many more.
Don't miss this great opportunity! Who We Are :
Internal Services Department (ISD) provides a wide range of Alterations and Improvements for Los Angeles County facilities including modifying, remodeling, planning and installing new facilities capabilities. Our wastewater treatment workers are responsible for the day-to-day operation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and handling of special problems of municipal, industrial, and other treatment plants. We are looking for an individual who :
- Recognizes protection and conservation of treated and untreated wastewater as a critical part of the ecosystem.
- Engages in continuous quality improvement activities, performance measurements, and benchmarking.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to plant safety activities, practices, and standards.
Essential Job Functions What You Will Do :
- Operates wastewater treatment facilities to control flow and processing of wastewater, sludge and effluent; monitors gauges, meters, and control panels; observes variation in operating conditions; interprets meter and gauge readings; and tests results to determine processing requirements.
- Operates valves and gates; starts and stops pumps, engines, and electric motors to control and adjust flow and treatment processes; performs routine maintenance work.
- Collects samples and performs routine laboratory tests and analyses.
- Maintains shift log and records meter and gauge readings.
- Assists in the supervision and training of less experienced operators.
- Controls, monitors and operates wastewater processes and equipment utilizing a Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System (SCADA).
- Keeps records of weather, temperature, tests made, and volume of sewage treated.
- Inspects and cleans grease traps, filters, and sewer lines.
- Treats domestic water using chlorinators and filters, and performs related chemical tests.
- Drives automotive equipment to work sites.
A Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator's Certificate, Grade II or higher, issued by the California State Water Resources Control Board and
a Water Treatment Facility Operator's Certificate, Grade I or higher, issued by the California State Water Resources Control Board.*LICENSE & CERTIFICATION (REQUIRED):
A valid California Class C Driver License is required to perform job-related essential functions.**
A Wastewater Treatment Plant operator's Certificate, Grade II or higher, issued by the California State Water Resources Control Board.
A Water Treatment Facility Operator's Certificate, Grade I or higher, issued by the California State Department of Health.PHYSICAL CLASS:
This position includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds.Special Requirement Information:
*APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF THE TWO (2) REQUIRED CERTIFICATIONS WITH THEIR COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES JOB APPLICATION AT THE TIME OF FILING, OR WITHIN FIFTEEN (15) CALENDAR DAYS FROM THE DATE OF FILING YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION.
Failure to provide the required documentation will result in application rejection.
**Successful applicants for this position will be required to obtain and present a copy of his/her driving record from the California State Department of Motor Vehicles before final appointment. Applicants should not present a copy of their driving history until asked to do so by the hiring department. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether an applicant's driving history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job. License must not be currently suspended, restricted or revoked. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- A Domestic Water Distribution Certificate Grade D1 from the California State Water Resources Control Board.
- A Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator's Certificate, Grade III or higher, issued by the California State Water Resources Control Board.
- A Water Treatment Facility Operator's Certificate, Grade II or higher, issued by the California State Water Resources Control Board.
Additional Information First, meet our requirements above. After that, our process includes a two-part assessment.
A multiple choice test covering mathematics and general knowledge on wastewater treatment weighted at 70%.
Standardized tests are not reviewable by applicants per Civil Service Rule 7.19.Part 2:
An evaluation of training and experience based on application information, desirable qualifications, and the supplemental questionnaire weighted at 30%.
A minimum passing score of 70% on both parts of the assessment is required to pass. NO PERSON MAY COMPETE FOR THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.NOTE: Test invitations will be sent to candidates via email. Candidates are responsible for providing a valid email address in their application that can receive email from email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book and list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as spam/junk mail.
Final results will be sent by U.S. mail. Test scores cannot be given over the phone.
If you have a disability and need accommodation to take the assessment, let us know by contacting the ADA Coordinator at (323) 267-2432.What Happens Next:
Take advantage of this wonderful opportunity! Applications must be filed online only. We must receive your application by 5:30 p.m. (PT), on the last day of filing. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, fax, or in person will not be accepted. Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using the website https://www.governmentjobs.com/career/lacounty
Qualified candidates who have successfully passed the assessment process will have their results placed on a register. We will then invite the highest scoring group to a selection interview. The register of everyone who passed is valid for twelve (12) months.
Application will be processed on an as received basis and promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at anytime during the exam process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of job offer.
Have questions about anything? Please contact us using the following information:Exam Number:
W7224IDepartment Contact Name:
Debra TseDepartment Contact Phone:
(323) 881-3671Department Contact Email:
DTse@isd.lacounty.govCalifornia Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922ADA Coordinator Phone:
(323) 267-2432Teletype Phone:
(800) 899-4099 [Alternate Teletype Phone:
(800) 897-0077]FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE:
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed.IMPORTANT NOTES:
Please note that ALL information included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION
at any point during the examination process, including after an appointment has been made.FALSIFICATION
of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION.
from class specifications, job bulletins and/or plagiarism of any type serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to meet the requirements. Doing so will result in a REJECTION
of your application.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous